TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Vampire drain higher when battery is low?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by skitch23, Aug 25, 2017.

1. skitch23

skitch23 Member

I didn't have time to charge much last night. I had enough range to get to work and then to a local L2 charger at lunch so I could at least get all the way home after work.

I arrived at work with 28 miles left. When I got in the car at lunch I had 18 left. I looked at my teslafi and I lost 10miles of range in about 90 minutes because the car didn't go directly into sleep mode like it usually does. So 30 minutes of my charging at lunch was just to "get back" the miles I lost this morning.

I've noticed this a few times already so it doesn't appear to be a one-off scenario. It's like my car turns into the person that panics and eats all of the food in an emergency situation. Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in vampire drain when the battery gets low?

• Funny x 1
  2. murphyS90D

murphyS90D Member

Sounds like teslafi is preventing the car from going to sleep.

3. skitch23

skitch23 Member

That doesn't seem to be the case any other day. It's usually the opposite. As soon as I get out of the car, it falls asleep nearly instantly. Some days it takes ~30mins, but I only have 0.37-0.74mi of loss when that happens, not 10 miles in 90mins.