Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vampire drain higher when battery is low?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I didn't have time to charge much last night. I had enough range to get to work and then to a local L2 charger at lunch so I could at least get all the way home after work.

I arrived at work with 28 miles left. When I got in the car at lunch I had 18 left. I looked at my teslafi and I lost 10miles of range in about 90 minutes because the car didn't go directly into sleep mode like it usually does. So 30 minutes of my charging at lunch was just to "get back" the miles I lost this morning.

I've noticed this a few times already so it doesn't appear to be a one-off scenario. It's like my car turns into the person that panics and eats all of the food in an emergency situation. Has anyone else noticed a significant increase in vampire drain when the battery gets low?

• Funny
Reactions: caltechkid
That doesn't seem to be the case any other day. It's usually the opposite. As soon as I get out of the car, it falls asleep nearly instantly. Some days it takes ~30mins, but I only have 0.37-0.74mi of loss when that happens, not 10 miles in 90mins.

I've been having the same issue. A couple of times I have made it to work with just enough miles to make it back home. First time it happened, I was taken off guard. I left work at 5pm to find my car with only 21 miles left when I know I got to work with 38 miles (enough to get home). I had to drive across the street to plug in and work another hour waiting for the car to charge to get just enough to get home. Frustrating part is the parking structure is not my companies so I have to pay $10.50 for parking to use the charger that is only $1/hr. Gas station prices for only a few miles of charge. This has happened a couple of times with in the last couple of months. I do notice it more when the charge is low. To be honest, I'm not sure if it happens at other times, since I have enough charge to get where I'm going. I am trying to remember to write down the miles when I get to work and when I leave but still not in a habit. I am usually impressed with Tesla customer service but I have called Tesla several times to pull the logs and I have been less than impressed on this issue. I always get someone in service that says they will pull the logs, have a service agent review and have someone call me in a couple of days. I never get anyone calling me. I do believe there is an issue. Whether Tesla needs to push a software fix or a whole new battery is in question? Anyone have suggestions on how to get Tesla to take this issue seriously? I don't want to be a slave to watching my charge though out the day.

I've been having the same issue.
Well at least I’m not the only one (and it’s not my imagination). I usually try not to let my battery get too low but next time it happens I’ll definitely call Tesla and have them pull the logs so they can document it.

As far as keeping track of your mileage, I use teslafi and it does it for me. It’s $5/mo but it keeps all kinds of stats on your driving habits so if you are a data nerd like me it’s totally worth it. I think I can send you a link for a free extended trial. If you are interested, pm me.