Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver, BC Model 3 SR+ Subwoofer installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks for the tip! Just called them and it sounds encouraging. I'll flip them an email with links to the key install threads and drop by to chat with them in person. I'm a little nervous about being the first install, but he put my mind at ease a bit when he said (to your point) he works on Teslas a lot, just not stereo installs. Apparently the reason the local guys haven't had the experience installing stereos in Teslas is that the typical Tesla buyer prioritizes his spend elsewhere (like ceramic coatings!). Judging from these forums, he's probably not wrong!

Anyway, will report back with any news, and thanks again for the nudge.
Ask to see the lighting mods for the Telus Model X's. :D Very cool stuff. Good luck.

Thanks for the tip! Just called them and it sounds encouraging. I'll flip them an email with links to the key install threads and drop by to chat with them in person. I'm a little nervous about being the first install, but he put my mind at ease a bit when he said (to your point) he works on Teslas a lot, just not stereo installs. Apparently the reason the local guys haven't had the experience installing stereos in Teslas is that the typical Tesla buyer prioritizes his spend elsewhere (like ceramic coatings!). Judging from these forums, he's probably not wrong!

Anyway, will report back with any news, and thanks again for the nudge.
Hope they don’t void your Tesla warranty. That could be a costly mistake.

**UPDATE** The Eagle Has Landed, and I now have a "premium" sound system in my SR+!!

There were two things that bugged me about the car from the beginning: #1 the aero wheels (and "grand touring" tires), and #2 the sound system.

TSportline/Kal Tire took care of Issue #1 within 24 hours of taking delivery and SoundsGood Auto came through for the second issue.

I've always been an "OEM guy". This is the first time I've bought aftermarket wheels, swapped tires for a different brand (at least before they needed changing) and/or felt the need to upgrade the factory audio. If a "premium" audio upgrade had been available from Tesla, I would have just cracked the cheque and called it a day. But, with the way Tesla prices the Model 3, I would have lost the federal (and now BC) rebate plus I would have been out of pocket for the difference between the SR+ and the LR (is the LR RWD even an option these days?), all just to get better sound. At ~$15k - ~$20k, it was a pretty easy decision to stick to the SR+!

After taking delivery, I decided to call around to get a sense as to what my options were for improving the sound. I started with Vancouver, then the Lower Mainland, moved onto Seattle and finally stopped in LA (Reus).

Given the difficulty in finding an easy upgrade path, I thought I'd just live with the stock sound, but, in the end, I just couldn't stand it (I think partly because there's no engine noise to distract from the poor sound), and ended up pulling the trigger with SoundsGood Auto Services | Car Audio Installation | Car Accessories.

That was the first shop I'd called/visited (based on Google/Yelp/BBB reviews, and random forum threads). The owner (Keith) was responsive, helpful and customer-focused, but not pushy. He initially joined the chorus of others (such as my wife!) who said to just drive it around for a while to see if I got used to it or to identify what I thought was lacking (and to use FLAC files on a USB drive so I was at least using quality source material). I did all of that, but still ended up calling Keith back.

After reaching out to his contacts in the U.S. who had experience with Teslas, he suggested an upgrade path. After a couple of tweaks to the plan and further visits to his Burnaby shop, I decided to forge ahead, in part because I got a bit of a break on labour in exchange for allowing my car to be used as a guinea pig (and displayed at the upcoming EV show in August), but mostly because the upgrade path proposed by Keith made the most sense to me given the other options out there.

Long story even longer...I dropped the car off on Monday after work, received updates/pictures (and encouragement to drop by the shop to check on progress) and picked it up on Friday.

In the end, they:

- added a 10" sub in the sub-trunk.
- replaced the dash speakers
- added tweeters near the mirrors
- added a DSP/amp to drive 6 of the speakers and the sub

They said the rear shelf speakers only added fill, which would be taken care of (at least for the front passengers?) by the subwoofer (true), and that there was no point activating the additional set of speakers in the a-frame because they're so close to your one ear that it would be hard to provide balanced sound (I don't notice those not being hooked up at all).

As expected, given that this was the first install, there were a couple of kinks that had to be worked out in terms of dealing with "unique to Tesla" idiosyncrasies, but, with those now figured out, I have to say that the sound is great and a massive improvement over stock. As perverse as it may sound (pun intended), I'm now finally enjoying driving the car!

Anyway, just wanted to report back that there's a local option available, and, if anyone wants to hear/see the difference for him/herself, they can drop by the EV show in Vancouver on August 24, 2019, as Keith and his crew will there be with my car (although I'm now stressing about how many random bums in the seats there will be!): Vancouver ElectraFest Electric Vehicle Showcase in 2019.

Attachments

• Car 1.jpg
    Car 1.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Car 2.jpg
    Car 2.jpg
    414.6 KB · Views: 240
  • Car 3.jpg
    Car 3.jpg
    357.8 KB · Views: 232
  • Car 5.jpg
    Car 5.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 227
Last edited:
I’m just waiting for a couple of items left to be delivered but I will be tackling this myself probably next weekend. I will be activating all of the inactive speakers and putting in a 10” sub in my SR+. Total cost should be less than $500 not counting my labour (of course lol).

Cost for all this?

It definitely wasn't cheap. Hardware alone was ~$2,200. I think you could probably get the sub done for ~$1,500, but I bet you're looking at around that same price again for the rest of the setup. That said, from my research, they seem to be one of the best shops around and were flexible about working within a budget. For example, I was going to install the speakers first and just have them wire for the sub later if I thought I needed more bass, and they were totally fine with that, but I ended up just doing the full pull. In calling around, the cheapest price (at a reputable shop) I could find was $2,500, just for context. If you're interested in some kind of an upgrade at a price point of at least $1,500 (my guess is that's the minimum price at which they could do something for you), I'd give Keith (McCumber) a shout and see what he says.

The problem I was faced with is that, even if I had bought $500 worth of equipment on my own (I'm pretty good at researching, so not worried about that aspect of it), unlike trdb, I'd have no clue what to do with it! And I don't like dealing with these kind of headaches on my own, which is, ultimately, why I decided on a local shop.

It definitely wasn't cheap. Hardware alone was ~$2,200. I think you could probably get the sub done for ~$1,500, but I bet you're looking at around that same price again for the rest of the setup. That said, from my research, they seem to be one of the best shops around and were flexible about working within a budget. For example, I was going to install the speakers first and just have them wire for the sub later if I thought I needed more bass, and they were totally fine with that, but I ended up just doing the full pull. In calling around, the cheapest price (at a reputable shop) I could find was $2,500, just for context. If you're interested in some kind of an upgrade at a price point of at least $1,500 (my guess is that's the minimum price at which they could do something for you), I'd give Keith (McCumber) a shout and see what he says.

The problem I was faced with is that, even if I had bought $500 worth of equipment on my own (I'm pretty good at researching, so not worried about that aspect of it), unlike trdb, I'd have no clue what to do with it! And I don't like dealing with these kind of headaches on my own, which is, ultimately, why I decided on a local shop.
Glad to see someone in Vancouver is capable of doing this but that’s a very high price in my opinion. A sub, amp and a couple of speakers shouldn’t cost $2200. Hopefully other shops figure out the Tesla install and create some competition.

Thanks for the feedback! I've been enjoying the system more and more as time goes on (maybe because the install price is now in my rear view mirror?). One unexpected benefit I've found is that, because it sounds so much better than stock, I've been finding myself listening to different genres of music than I normally would, which has been a pretty cool unintended consequence of better sound.

As for the control unit, I told them to just stick it where the phone charges because I have that wireless magnetic charger hanging off the side of the screen for Android Auto, so I don't charge my phone on the normal charging pad area. With the way it is now, I just close the lid and you can't see the control knob sitting on the charging pad area, but it's easy for me to just open the lid and adjust it if I need to (I find I don't really use it that often TBH). They probably just had the lid open for today, but you wouldn't normally be able to see it when I'm driving around (I had the same reaction as you at first!). They convinced me it would be nice to be able to control the sub for the different genres of music (you don't need that control unit), and gave me a couple of other install suggestions, but the one you saw worked best for me. I think one of the options was lower in the storage area, but I'm sure they could put it pretty much anywhere you want. That was one thing I really like about them...the ability to customize the install. If you check out their shop, they clearly know what they're doing re: installing wiring that you can't see.

I'll just be glad when the show is over in the next couple of hours. I didn't realize it was going to be the only Tesla at the show, nor did I appreciate that the App shows, in real-time, the slamming (in my mind) of the doors, trunk, frunk, etc. I've been stressing all day about the number of bums in the seats and the volume at which the system is being cranked up to (since the car is plugged in and still dropping in charge--clearly from the drain caused by the amps/volume, not the fact the A/C is on!). I'm going to pop some Tums and drop by for the last half-hour of the show!

Reactions: Amdax
I commend you on volunteering your car for the benefit of other Model 3 owners as well as the installer. Beside all the bums, I'd be paranoid about potential paint scuffs from all the people walking up to the car. The shopowner had the volume up to 35-40% when I auditioned it. It was loud enough to hear the sound quality. Hope everything went well.

Ha ha, thanks. I think the doors definitely got put through their paces being opened and shut. Got it home, after treating the wife to dinner for putting up with all my neurotic *sugar*, and did a through inspection. It looks like maybe a few scuffs (but nothing my rotary won't take car of), half a million fingerprints everywhere, some settings changed (including the screen set to 100%) and a half-finished chess game I didn't start. Otherwise, doesn't seem to be any worse for the wear!

Glad to see someone in Vancouver is capable of doing this. Hopefully other shops figure out the Tesla install and create some competition.

Wondering if anyone else in the Vancouver / BC Lower Mainland has upgraded their Model 3 SR/SR+ audio system and what their experience has been?

I’m not technically savvy enough to attempt this myself, but would love to add an amp and 6-8” subwoofer, and activate some of those inactive front and rear speakers.

Wondering if anyone else in the Vancouver / BC Lower Mainland has upgraded their Model 3 SR/SR+ audio system and what their experience has been?

I’m not technically savvy enough to attempt this myself, but would love to add an amp and 6-8” subwoofer, and activate some of those inactive front and rear speakers.

Just an update on this. I had my SR/SR+ audio system upgraded per above. Added an amp, activated front door tweeters and rear shelf speakers, added bass control and 8” sub.

Ended up going with RPM electronics in Burnaby after a local Tesla owner negotiated a group buy discount. ~$1500-1700 depending on whether you include the bass control.

I am happy with it as it sounds much more immersive and full range than before, and within my budget.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their advice and experience- helped immensely!

That's a good price, and was my second choice place. I really liked the guy there.

Just curious, is the aftermarket amp powering the tweeters, rear shelf speakers and sub (and no other speakers)? Do the speakers powered by the aftermarket amp seem much "louder" than the ones powered by the factory amp?

I paid more, and didn't get the rear shelf speakers activated. Toying with whether it makes sense to do that, or just leave well enough alone (with the aftermarket amp powering the two front dash speakers, two tweeters in the door and the two woofers in the front door). The front dash speaker and rear door speakers powered by the factor amp sound so weak, I'm not even sure they're adding much in the way of filler. Wondering if I should get an amp and power the rear shelf speakers for a more immersive experience (as you say), or if that will detract from how "clean" the sound is now (with a front soundstage).

Just curious, is the aftermarket amp powering the tweeters, rear shelf speakers and sub (and no other speakers)? Do the speakers powered by the aftermarket amp seem much "louder" than the ones powered by the factory amp?

The aftermarket amp is only powering the tweeters and rear shelf speakers (the sub has its own amp). Hard to say if the newly activated speakers sound “louder” than the speakers powered by the factory amp, but by nature of placement the overall sound is more immersive and louder.

The system you had installed is definitely premium to this and would have cost similar no matter where you went. If I had the means I would have opted for a similar setup plus activating the rear shelf speakers. :)

If your rear shelf speakers are there and you have free channels on your aftermarket amp, it’s just a few hours of labour. If you need a small amp to power them you’ll need to add that in.

Last edited:
The aftermarket amp is only powering the tweeters and rear shelf speakers (the sub has its own amp). Hard to say if the newly activated speakers sound “louder” than the speakers powered by the factory amp, but by nature of placement the overall sound is more immersive and louder.

The system you had installed is definitely premium to this and would have cost similar no matter where you went. If I had the means I would have opted for a similar setup plus activating the rear shelf speakers. :)

If your rear shelf speakers are there and you have free channels on your aftermarket amp, it’s just a few hours of labour. If you need a small amp to power them you’ll need to add that in.

Do you guys know where these shops tapped into the 12v power? Did they do it under the rear seat (penthouse) or the actual 12v battery in the frunk. Lot’s of people have been complaining about errors in the car from both these places but I think they are generally running larger amps. How has your experience been?

Thanks @Amdax! I'd need a small amp, as you say, to power the rear speakers (no free channels and I've already got 2 amps installed--similar to your setup). The sound is really good as-is, just not as "immersive" as my last car. Without hearing the difference with the rear shelf speakers activated, I can't tell how much I'm missing, but I guess I really don't need a more immersive listening experience if I'm only listening to music and not movies. I definitely don't need it louder! Maybe I'll hold out for a birthday present if I still have an itch when I see posts like yours!!

@Shiraz8484, they tried tapping the penthouse at my request the first time, but that generated a bunch of errors, including a persistent 12V battery warning. They ended up going straight to the 12V battery (which is what they wanted to do the first time round), and no issues since.

Reactions: Aphinity and Amdax
Just an update on this. I had my SR/SR+ audio system upgraded per above. Added an amp, activated front door tweeters and rear shelf speakers, added bass control and 8” sub.

Ended up going with RPM electronics in Burnaby after a local Tesla owner negotiated a group buy discount. ~$1500-1700 depending on whether you include the bass control.

I am happy with it as it sounds much more immersive and full range than before, and within my budget.

Thanks to everyone here for sharing their advice and experience- helped immensely!

thanks for the update, I’m gonna contact them for a quote as well. Any reason why you wouldn’t have a single amp power the additional speakers, also where did they place the bass control?

thanks

Did they tap into the 12v battery in the frunk for you as well?