Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver, BC Model 3 SR+ Subwoofer installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't remember exactly, but about half the cost is gear, half is labour/wiring. Including my own estimate for what the sub / speakers will cost from Tesla... I think it'll be under $2k all-in, including install, amps, and an LC7i.

Interested in doing this on my 2021 SR+. Does the forum have a group buy set up with them or should I just look for David and let him know I found him on this forum?

There was an agreed upon group buy over a year ago posted to the Tesla Model 3 Owners Club - Vancouver Facebook Group on Sep 20, 2019 for two options ranging from $1501-1719. That said, I’m sure there have been learnings since then so specs and install may have evolved since then, not to mention whether your SR+ comes with the same speakers just not hooked up. But yes, just ask for David who seems to have dealt with the majority of us.

Also, there seems to be many DIY options now available on the Internet for US$80 if you’re just looking to activate a few of the existing speakers (without a sub or additional amps). But this involves a few hours work on your part to install.

There was an agreed upon group buy over a year ago posted to the Tesla Model 3 Owners Club - Vancouver Facebook Group on Sep 20, 2019 for two options ranging from $1501-1719. That said, I’m sure there have been learnings since then so specs and install may have evolved since then, not to mention whether your SR+ comes with the same speakers just not hooked up. But yes, just ask for David who seems to have dealt with the majority of us.

Also, there seems to be many DIY options now available on the Internet for US$80 if you’re just looking to activate a few of the existing speakers (without a sub or additional amps). But this involves a few hours work on your part to install.
Thank you, I have just requested to be in the FB group now. I will reach out to David for some info to see if he played with the 2021 models yet.

there’s a guy on Vancouver cl that charges $200 for the harness and install to activate the unused speakers

So has anyone come to a consensus on whether the front battery will work for a simple sub/amp combo? My car audio installer says he's done it only this way with success, is there anything specific i should look out for?

So has anyone come to a consensus on whether the front battery will work for a simple sub/amp combo? My car audio installer says he's done it only this way with success, is there anything specific i should look out for?
I think the answer depends on current draw. Seems overall, the penthouse power source handles higher current than the 12v battery. If you have a small low draw amp, the chances are less for experiencing a problem using the 12v battery. I don't think anyone has posted specs on how much the 12v battery can consistently handle before issues occur. I only have a frunk kit (EV Offer) attached to my 12v battery and it hasn't had any problems. Ask your car audio installer what amp he installed and if you use the same amp or something with less power draw, you should be ok.

I think the answer depends on current draw. Seems overall, the penthouse power source handles higher current than the 12v battery. If you have a small low draw amp, the chances are less for experiencing a problem using the 12v battery. I don't think anyone has posted specs on how much the 12v battery can consistently handle before issues occur. I only have a frunk kit (EV Offer) attached to my 12v battery and it hasn't had any problems. Ask your car audio installer what amp he installed and if you use the same amp or something with less power draw, you should be ok.
Yeah that makes total sense, that's what i've been searching for throughout all these forums, what the limit is for draw for the frunk battery.

Thank you