Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver, BC Model 3 SR+ Subwoofer installation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone curious enough to visit those junk yard to look for those premium interior model 3? wonder where the wiring harness to subwoofer/amp goes to and if there is any quick disconnect (connector) right near there. It would be nice if that turns out to be a 3 foot wiring harness and we can all DIY it with those parts from salvage yard. But i figured it won't be that easy

Anyone curious enough to visit those junk yard to look for those premium interior model 3? wonder where the wiring harness to subwoofer/amp goes to and if there is any quick disconnect (connector) right near there. It would be nice if that turns out to be a 3 foot wiring harness and we can all DIY it with those parts from salvage yard. But i figured it won't be that easy
That would be cool, but I think your challenge would be the SW piece. Since everything is controlled through the MCU you can't control the EQ and balance.

Anyone find anything further about this? Or any other way of upgrading the stereo?

I was holding out hope of this:

https://www.badesignworks.com/model-3

But looks like they're shutting down:

https://www.badesignworks.com/

The federal rebate is great, but created a perverse incentive to go cheap. I would have paid for a $5k upgrade to the LR RWD, but the loss of the rebate makes that $10k, which seems dumb to do. Maybe long down the road T will take pity on us Canadians who went for the incentive and provide an upgrade to the premium interior...even if on an annual subscription basis. $X up-front and $Y/year, gets you a sub install and software unlock for the speakers and streaming. But I suspect that's dreaming in technicolor.

I called SoundsGood Auto this morning to ask if they'd done any work on Model 3s, since the guys I would normally go to haven't. He said they had but that each car is different so they'd have to take a look at it. I haven't heard of them before, but they get good reviews on Google. Anyone used them? I might swing by to see what they say. Don't want to mess things up with the computer or electronics systems.

stereo installation vancouver - Google Search

I called SoundsGood Auto this morning to ask if they'd done any work on Model 3s, since the guys I would normally go to haven't. He said they had but that each car is different so they'd have to take a look at it. I haven't heard of them before, but they get good reviews on Google. Anyone used them? I might swing by to see what they say. Don't want to mess things up with the computer or electronics systems.

stereo installation vancouver - Google Search
Any luck?

Any luck?

I was waiting until I had something more concrete before reporting back, but I dropped into the Burnaby location and chatted with the owner, Keith. Nice guy, no hard sales and clearly on the ball.

He's trying to triangulate the information on the forums against what his contacts in the US say. One of his guys in his shop just bought a Model 3, so that may well be the first to get upgraded (that's me guessing).

Bottom line is that he clearly knows the unique installation issues with Teslas, and where to tap into what wires, etc., and is not a hard-sell guy at all (as I say), so I would have no reservations letting him do his thing.

I'll touch base with him today to see where things are at.

Well, I've got some good(ish) news and bad news.

The bad news is that I still haven't been able to nail down a local option yet. I chatted with one of the installers at another shop yesterday. They get good reviews on the Web, and have done a Model S before, but not a 3:

I sent them some links to relevant threads, but haven't heard back yet.

The good(ish) news, at least in terms of having what sounds (pun intended) to be like a viable (and perhaps the "best") option--leaving price aside--is that I called Reus Systems in LA today and spoke to the owner.

They seem to get universally good reviews:

They apparently have an "off the shelf" kit available for the SR+ (at least in Beta), but they have to fly out to install it (apparently, a big factor is the individual tuning that's done for each car). It's neither cheap nor quick (we'd be looking at, maybe, October--unless we can get a group order together and can convince their installer to swing up earlier to just knock it off). A USD$1500 deposit would be required, and they would then make arrangements to ship them to each of us and then install in each of our respective driveways, places of business, etc.

Cost is between USD$1900 - USD$2400 for the "starter" system with their Beta offer (and it goes up from there!), but my sense is that we'd be pretty happy with the upgrade. I've got a brochure that I can send to anyone who is interested in the starter system, but the USD$2400 upgrade involves the following:

Reus will upgrade the “Partial Premium Audio System” in your Standard Range + Tesla Model 3 with our integrated Amplifier/Woofer system, install new dash speakers, activate your door tweeters, activate your rear deck speakers and utilize our custom crossovers to bring your audio experience beyond the “Premium” factory system and will offer overall performance better than woofer only solutions.

- Reus Hi-Fi Musical 8” Woofer with Integrated Class D Amplifier
- 2 x Mid-range Drivers
- 2 x Soft Dome Tweeters
- Replacing the door tweeters and activating rear deck speakers
- Reus Custom Crossovers
Apparently, everything is "plug and play", so you can remove it if you ever want to, and the subwoofer can either go in the sub-trunk (slightly better sound) or in the stock factory location.

Thoughts?

Interest?

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: cadetsea
Wow! Thanks Volt for the detailed research! Personally, the upper limit I would spend on an audio upgrade would be $1500 Canadian, so I would probably have to wait on a local option... The Reus option does sound tempting though to those of use that can afford it!

My sense if that if we can get it done locally, we can get a pretty big upgrade for <$2k. Ballpark sounds to be ~$1k for a sub and ~$1k for the other speakers. Both shops said you could stage the installation. Do the speakers first and wire in for a sub. If you're happy with the sound at that point, great...call it a day. If you want a little more oomph, install the sub.

Given the timeframe for the Reus guys, I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a local solution, as I think the shops here want to do an install. As long as they're prepared to eat the learning curve costs, and won't muck things up, I'm happy to be one of the guinea pigs and can leave my car with them for a week to work on.

I'll report back.

I can vouch for Cliff over at Reus. He did an amazing audio upgrade on my Model S a few years ago. He has years of experience with Teslas. Would trust him over any local installer hands down.

Yea, Cliff was the name mentioned. I have no doubt he's got more experience than anyone else (in the World!). It sounds like they've done literally thousands of Tesla installs, and maybe hundreds of the Model 3s.

I may well end up just choosing to ignore the currency differences...but I probably need a few others to join in to help defray the costs of an airplane ticket and hotel! I've posted in the Pacific Northwest forum too hoping for some bites, but no nibbles so far.

I guess still early days in the SR+ world.

I would give RPM Electronics in Burnaby a call. They've had extensive experience with some mods on Teslas. They have installed a few things for me including dash cams and the lighted applique on my prior S's and my X.

Thanks for the tip! Just called them and it sounds encouraging. I'll flip them an email with links to the key install threads and drop by to chat with them in person. I'm a little nervous about being the first install, but he put my mind at ease a bit when he said (to your point) he works on Teslas a lot, just not stereo installs. Apparently the reason the local guys haven't had the experience installing stereos in Teslas is that the typical Tesla buyer prioritizes his spend elsewhere (like ceramic coatings!). Judging from these forums, he's probably not wrong!

Anyway, will report back with any news, and thanks again for the nudge.

Reactions: Paul Carter