Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver BC VIN .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What 240v extension cord did you get? Is it safe? How long is it?
Built my own. 7 meters long. SOOW 4 conductor 10 gauge flexible wire from Home Depot. Bought a prewired dryer plug from Rona, terminated it on a junction box to the flexible wire, then ended it on another junction box with a dryer receptacle as a lid.
parts:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/southwire-soow-copper-electrical-cord-10-4-black-75m/1000823790
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/leviton-30-amp-dryer-receptacle/1000113605
Dryer Power Cord
plus junction boxes and various wire connectors
Not a job for someone who doesn't understand electricity and wiring.
I'll be charging at work so only using this once in a while.
Did a infrared scan of it after running charging for an hour and no temperature increase over ambient. The Tesla charger head was about 7C warmer than ambient.

I'm interested in your extension cord. Care to share where and what to get to build one? Did you have to buy that BC Hydro smart meter monitor?
The BCH smart meter monitor I got two years ago. I think you can still order them.
Home energy monitors
it was pretty cool for the first week I had it. I was always turning things on and off and watching it change. Then of course the novelty faded and its been unplugged most of the time, of course till now.
The charging monitor in the car tells you the voltage, the KW and the current drawn which is all the info you really need.

• Informative
Reactions: phtp
Just curious, I assume all the 12% PSTers have cleared out of the thread, and that the recent MVPAs have included an additional ~$550 donation to the NDP/Greens? I know that's what's on the agenda for me next week based on my MVPA. Just making sure no one at Tesla has had a recent chance in heart and reduced the "dealer doc fee" for BC folks by $81.

CEVforBC credits just got another $5M today! (it would have run out this weekend)
upload_2019-6-8_9-48-57.png

Loads of Model 3's on Great Northern Way (Near Emily Carr University and MEC) waiting to be delivered...

I don't have a dashcam (yet!) as proof, but saw one like that today on the 91 coming from the USA as I was going down to pick up my wheels (literally, not figuratively). Mostly blacks, with some whites. They've got to be running 10 or so up here each day.

Reactions: nagendra
Just curious, I assume all the 12% PSTers have cleared out of the thread, and that the recent MVPAs have included an additional ~$550 donation to the NDP/Greens? by $81.
CEVforBC credits just got another $5M today! (it would have run out this weekend)
View attachment 417041

I would gladly pay $550 in provincial tax to support a program that gives $5,000 to reduce fossil fuel cars for those of us who can afford to buy them.

In fact, I am paying $550+ as changes in interior and exterior colours and FSD put me into the 15% bracket I think.

Last edited:
Can't argue with that. For me, though, it comes down to expectations, since I didn't get a different colour or the 19" wheels, in part because I was told by Tesla that the tax the would be 12% if I didn't. No biggie at the end of the day, but would have been nice to know my final price going in. Just one more quirky thing about buying a Tesla I guess (ie, no final price or trade-in value until after you place an order and put a deposit down).

how did it go?

Appointment is 11am. Arrived 20 min early. They said if I don't sign... I'll have to wait longer to see the car coz it's not prioritized. I said just call me when the car is here. I'm gonna grab lunch. They texted me around 1240pm. I went back after lunch and spent a good 30 min inspecting. The front hood gap was uneven but something I can live with. Both back doors are misaligned by a few mm. Some minor scratches.

After that...I went up to sign the doc. And insurance. Prob another 30 min.

Be prepared to spend around 3hrs.

Place is swamped. Don't even have Perrier.

Appointment is 11am. Arrived 20 min early. They said if I don't sign... I'll have to wait longer to see the car coz it's not prioritized. I said just call me when the car is here. I'm gonna grab lunch. They texted me around 1240pm. I went back after lunch and spent a good 30 min inspecting. The front hood gap was uneven but something I can live with. Both back doors are misaligned by a few mm. Some minor scratches.

After that...I went up to sign the doc. And insurance. Prob another 30 min.

Be prepared to spend around 3hrs.

Place is swamped. Don't even have Perrier.

Not sure how others feel but it kinda feels wrong for them to tell you that your car is lower priority if you don't sign first.

A bit of a d*** move to strongarm you. I get that some customers can be a bit unreasonable and give them trouble but it's a 50k+ car for crying out loud and they do have a reputation of having build quality issues.

Reactions: samk579
The BCH smart meter monitor I got two years ago. I think you can still order them.
Home energy monitors
it was pretty cool for the first week I had it. I was always turning things on and off and watching it change. Then of course the novelty faded and its been unplugged most of the time, of course till now.
The charging monitor in the car tells you the voltage, the KW and the current drawn which is all the info you really need.
Didn't know they had that. Good that you can charge at work, otherwise don't be surprised that you might enter into Step 2 rates, of course this will depend on usage.

Picked up my Blue LR AWD w/ AP yesterday. The West 4th location is dog-friendly if anyone else is wondering.

It was their first "triple-digit" (>100 cars for delivery) day yesterday according to the folks there. I had a 10am appointment thankfully, but you could tell the storm of people coming for sure.

I think a few asks are in order of the folks here, based on things I heard while taking delivery:
  • Don't b**** about what the car does and does not come with. The people you're complaining to have no control over it (especially the delivery folk in the garage), and have no way to correct it on site. Your beef is with Tesla, not the employees pulling 11+ hour shifts to manage these 100+ deliveries per day in an honestly impressive manner. You're dealing with humans just like you, and you're not the first to complain about no frunk mat.
  • If you have extremely minor issues (small paint defects, etc.), just note it with a picture and deal with it later if you can. Unless you strongly feel that you should refuse delivery, your complaining again won't get you anywhere except to add to the upset of dealing with complaints they don't have the ability to immediately resolve on delivery.
  • Treat this like any other car purchase, because it is. For example, my last vehicle (Honda) I actually bought unseen since they had to transfer it from another dealership. There was an issue with the steering wheel (torn leather), which they replaced free of charge. They understand small issues and will be absolutely happy to help sort them out to have a happy customer.
So, with that out of the way...

Arrived at 9:48am at the West 4th location (plenty of nearby street parking around on a Saturday morning), technically before opening but we were not the first. They got us to wait in the "lounge" with others for about 15 minutes. Tesla & financing paperwork was quick, even though we had a small issue (my fault) with our financing paperwork. Insurance takes the bulk of the time. Got plates, sent back to check-in desk, and since our car was already in the garage they sent us down the elevator to take delivery.

I received the car with a 63% charge. Software was already up to date. Build date was mid April, so it actually came with USB cables and the NEMA 14-50 adaptor that newer cars don't come with to my understanding (I guess I need to cancel my online order for the 14-50... or does someone in Kelowna want to pay me for it :) ). Of course, this means I probably have HW2.5 since we did not order with FSD.
There was a scratch or paint defect or something behind the driver's side rear wheel where the panels meet. Minor. There was also a scuff on the front passenger's side right in front of the wheel. Unsure if just wax or something, because it wiped right off with extremely minor scratching so is no big deal.

Even though we were an early delivery, it was still 1h20m later before we got out of the garage.

On the long drive home, I noticed the only issue I'm upset about. The wheel alignment is currently terrible. It takes leftward curves on the highway all by itself, and rightward curves take more effort than they should (this is regardless of the bank to the road, and is definitely some alignment-related issue AFAIK). I'll have to figure out what to do as I'm 500km from the nearest Tesla service centre.

I'm happy with my purchase, and the delivery experience was honestly not that bad.

EDIT: I also don't know if this is a consistent thing, but I wasn't charged for the Supercharger session in Hope on the way back home. It showed the amount while charging, but it didn't pop up in account history (but the stop in Kelowna that night did show up). I wonder if they give you one free session.

Last edited:
Picked up my Blue LR AWD w/ AP yesterday. The West 4th location is dog-friendly if anyone else is wondering.

It was their first "triple-digit" (>100 cars for delivery) day yesterday according to the folks there. I had a 10am appointment thankfully, but you could tell the storm of people coming for sure.

I think a few asks are in order of the folks here, based on things I heard while taking delivery:
  • Don't b**** about what the car does and does not come with. The people you're complaining to have no control over it (especially the delivery folk in the garage), and have no way to correct it on site. Your beef is with Tesla, not the employees pulling 11+ hour shifts to manage these 100+ deliveries per day in an honestly impressive manner. You're dealing with humans just like you, and you're not the first to complain about no frunk mat.
  • If you have extremely minor issues (small paint defects, etc.), just note it with a picture and deal with it later if you can. Unless you strongly feel that you should refuse delivery, your complaining again won't get you anywhere except to add to the upset of dealing with complaints they don't have the ability to immediately resolve on delivery.
  • Treat this like any other car purchase, because it is. For example, my last vehicle (Honda) I actually bought unseen since they had to transfer it from another dealership. There was an issue with the steering wheel (torn leather), which they replaced free of charge. They understand small issues and will be absolutely happy to help sort them out to have a happy customer.
So, with that out of the way...

Arrived at 9:48am at the West 4th location (plenty of nearby street parking around on a Saturday morning), technically before opening but we were not the first. They got us to wait in the "lounge" with others for about 15 minutes. Tesla & financing paperwork was quick, even though we had a small issue (my fault) with our financing paperwork. Insurance takes the bulk of the time. Got plates, sent back to check-in desk, and since our car was already in the garage they sent us down the elevator to take delivery.

I received the car with a 63% charge. Software was already up to date. Build date was mid April, so it actually came with USB cables and the NEMA 14-50 adaptor that newer cars don't come with to my understanding (I guess I need to cancel my online order for the 14-50... or does someone in Kelowna want to pay me for it :) ). Of course, this means I probably have HW2.5 since we did not order with FSD.
There was a scratch or paint defect or something behind the driver's side rear wheel where the panels meet. Minor. There was also a scuff on the front passenger's side right in front of the wheel. Unsure if just wax or something, because it wiped right off with extremely minor scratching so is no big deal.

Even though we were an early delivery, it was still 1h20m later before we got out of the garage.

On the long drive home, I noticed the only issue I'm upset about. The wheel alignment is currently terrible. It takes leftward curves on the highway all by itself, and rightward curves take more effort than they should (this is regardless of the bank to the road, and is definitely some alignment-related issue AFAIK). I'll have to figure out what to do as I'm 500km from the nearest Tesla service centre.

I'm happy with my purchase, and the delivery experience was honestly not that bad.
Agreed, the folks there are working thier butts off. Especially dealing with the folks with unrealistic expectations.

There are mobile techs in Kelowna so this might be an option. You might have hw 3.0 even if you didn't purchase fsd. What fw version are you on, 16.3.2? So far from what I've seen is people with hw 3.0 getting this for the model 3.

Agreed, the folks there are working thier butts off. Especially dealing with the folks with unrealistic expectations.

There are mobile techs in Kelowna so this might be an option. You might have hw 3.0 even if you didn't purchase fsd. What fw version are you on, 16.3.2? So far from what I've seen is people with hw 3.0 getting this for the model 3.

Yepp, I am indeed on 16.3.2. Huh. I mean, I'm very happy if it comes with HW3, I just didn't expect it.

RE: mobile techs. I'm assuming they need to put it up in the air and use an alignment rack/tool/whatever of some sort that's not feasible for a mobile tech. It is very good to know they're in Kelowna though. The other minor issue is that the driver's door is a bit hard to close, so maybe they can address that.

Reactions: van_678