Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vancouver Washington/Portland Oregon wheel swap

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone! I am expecting my Model 3 to arrive in Portland within the next few weeks. I am looking to swap my 19 inch sport wheels for some 18 inch Aero wheels. The car is obviously brand new, so the wheels might have 50 miles on them by the time I get it back to my house. I'd expect to trade for Aero wheels which are also pretty much brand new with almost new rubber as well. Hit me up if you're interested and have what I'm looking for.

I'd also be willing to do a swap for Aeros in excellent shape but with used tires with cash on your end.

Reactions: JasontheBeaver
Hey everyone! I am expecting my Model 3 to arrive in Portland within the next few weeks. I am looking to swap my 19 inch sport wheels for some 18 inch Aero wheels. The car is obviously brand new, so the wheels might have 50 miles on them by the time I get it back to my house. I'd expect to trade for Aero wheels which are also pretty much brand new with almost new rubber as well. Hit me up if you're interested and have what I'm looking for.

I'd also be willing to do a swap for Aeros in excellent shape but with used tires with cash on your end.

Congrats on your Model 3! What tires do those 19's come with?

Is this is a straight across trade, it’s a great offer for someone wanting 19s
I'm just feeling out to see if there is interest. It'll depend on condition and wear on the tires. The more research I do the more I tend to agree with you though, this would be an incredibly good deal for a straight up trade. I am going to try and get some numbers together to more accurately gauge the value of each set of wheels. I may end up revising my request to also include cash on top of the Aeros as well.

Why didn’t you just order the car with aeros instead and save the money up front? I’m interested in a trade because it does favor the guy with the 18’s but not really interested in cash on top. I’m probably buying aftermarket lighter wheels anyway and putting winter tires on my 18’s if I keep them.

Why didn’t you just order the car with aeros instead and save the money up front? I’m interested in a trade because it does favor the guy with the 18’s but not really interested in cash on top. I’m probably buying aftermarket lighter wheels anyway and putting winter tires on my 18’s if I keep them.
It’s a stealth performance model. There is no editing this configuration, you take what you can get.

I think it's really going to depend on condition and tire wear, so please keep an open mind. My wheels/tires are literally brand new with only 33 miles on them. It won't make sense for me to give these things away or take a huge loss in value. If you're not willing to include cash on top of your Aeros just keep that in mind. I'm trying to make a good deal here thats fair for both parties in terms of value.

I think it's really going to depend on condition and tire wear, so please keep an open mind. My wheels/tires are literally brand new with only 33 miles on them. It won't make sense for me to give these things away or take a huge loss in value. If you're not willing to include cash on top of your Aeros just keep that in mind. I'm trying to make a good deal here thats fair for both parties in terms of value.

The tires on the 19s are rated at 400 treadwear and 40k mile warranty, the ones on the 18s are rated 500 treadwear and 45k mile warranty. So one could assume up to 5,000 (gentle) miles on the MXM4's should be roughly equal to a new set of the Conti's (when just factoring in wear)

;)

Now I totally would absolutely expect the wheels and aero covers to be spotless since yours will be. My aeros are, but my tires have about 2,000 miles of low speed city driving on them (approx 25 to 35mph). Oddly the 18 inch MXM4's are actually more expensive then the 19 Conti's ($283 vs $267)....

Thanks for the info! This is pretty much consistent with my research on the MXM4s vs Contis. I think it depends on where you're looking for prices, but they are almost exactly the same price in most places, meaning the price difference is negligible between the 2 sets of tires.

As far as tread wear goes, I'm hesitant to trust treadwear ratings as an accurate gauge of value given that a set of 4 of each tire is going to cost almost exactly the same brand new. I don't think it's fair to say that since the treadwear rating on your tire is greater, and you have less miles than the difference in warranty rating on your tires vs my tires, that this should mean that they are equal or greater in value. (I'd give you credit for MAYBE $50 because of the treadwear/warranty difference and the miles you have on your tires??)

There is also the difference in value between the 19 inch sport wheels and the 18 inch Aero wheels. Based on Tesla's valuation, the difference is roughly $1-1.5k in the wheels alone. I'm not expecting that someone would pay $1.5k to do a straight up swap, but as long as we are considering market values for this equipment, I think it's certainly fair to consider.

So once again, I think it will completely depend on condition. At this point, for Aeros in perfect condition with less than 5k miles, I'd be willing to make a deal with some cash on your end (we can take this into a DM to work out the details).

Edit: spelling

Last edited: