Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Variable schedule/pre-conditioning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello--Is there any way at all to set pre-conditioning so it isn't at the same time every day? I have a variable schedule and have to either remember to switch the scheduling every evening or have the car pre-condition unnecessarily when I forget. It's particularly annoying as I have a Chargepoint charger from Xcel at home which is set to charge from midnight to 6 am for off-peak rates, which means that on days when the pre-conditioning is not needed, or happens at the wrong time, it pulls charge from the battery and not from the outlet.

You could always just get into the habit of pre-conditioning manually. It's not as bad as it sounds. My wife asks the smart speaker what the temperature is and then decides whether the car even needs to be pre-conditioned or not (and what kind of jacket she'll need). It's just another part of her routine.

However, if you really need a variable schedule, you can use a third-party solution such as TeslaFi which allows you to set a different schedule for each day/time of the week.

Yes you can.

You can use the Apple short cuts build into the Tesla App. Those can be set as Automations in the shortcut app.

Apple Shortcuts:

The available options from the Tesla App:

Create a shortcut to precondition. Then create automations (one for each day you want this to run at the same time) to run at the day/times you need.

It’s a very roundabout way to “fix” a problem that should be there natively.

The problem with using shortcuts is that the car has to be awake to successfully trigger a function. Running the shortcut should wake the car up, but if it takes longer to wake than normal for whatever reason then your request times out and the command fails and you have to try and run it again. At that point you have to mess with the phone anyways to trigger it again so might as well just use the app manually.

That’s a far cry from automated scheduled conditioning native to the car that will still trigger itself even when asleep.

I have an NFC tag I scan at work to trigger preconditioning when I’m about to leave. Often it fails 4-5x in a row before it successfully starts. Or I have to tap it once, wait for it to fail and wait 2-3 minutes before tapping again.

Reactions: Bijli Ki Rani
Just turning on climate or changing the pre-conditioning schedule from the phone app fails and requires multiple attempts more than half the time for me without even involving nfc tags.

A home thermostat doesn't even have to be a smart thermostat to let you set a schedule separately for each day of the week. I was very surprised Tesla with all their vaunted technological smarts doesn't have this functionality for pre-conditioning.

Reactions: E90alex
I don't have a problem with it pre-conditioning at the time i've successfully set. But if I then go to change that time for the next day (on account of my variable schedule), I have to wait and visually verify the change has taken. At least 50% of the time I have to do it again. As this happens regularly with simply trying to turn the climate on from the phone app (usually 2-3 tries is necessary for it to take), I've just assumed it's a problem with the Tesla app. Is this not a common thing?

I don't have a problem with it pre-conditioning at the time i've successfully set. But if I then go to change that time for the next day (on account of my variable schedule), I have to wait and visually verify the change has taken. At least 50% of the time I have to do it again. As this happens regularly with simply trying to turn the climate on from the phone app (usually 2-3 tries is necessary for it to take), I've just assumed it's a problem with the Tesla app. Is this not a common thing?

You're probably not waiting until the app has actually made communication with the car...

If you see something like the following, you're jumping the gun.

not connected yet.png

When the app wakes the car, it'll show "parked" where the "Last seen 16 minutes ago" is on my pic. When it shows "parked", it'll respond immediately to any commands from the app. This is from my iphone, but the android app should be similar.

I feel your pain. I not only have a varying schedule I also have varying times in the morning I need it to pre-condition (I work 48/72 shift). I have noticed when Im at work or home it seems to recognize that and already has the correct time ready (6:00am vs 7:30am). So I just turn it on before I go to bed and try to remember to turn it off in the app when I leave.

You're probably not waiting until the app has actually made communication with the car...

If you see something like the following, you're jumping the gun.

When the app wakes the car, it'll show "parked" where the "Last seen 16 minutes ago" is on my pic. When it shows "parked", it'll respond immediately to any commands from the app. This is from my iphone, but the android app should be similar.

Just verified that's not the reason. Opened the app, waited for it to show "parked" and turned the climate on. Turned on right away. but when I tried to turn it off, it took three tries in a row before it took.

Not just variable scheduling, but multiple preconditioning schedules per day. For those that have a consistent daily schedule, e.g. 9-5, it would be nice to schedule both the morning and evening preconditioning.

For a car that's so connected, this seems like an easy and obvious win. It's also lacking in the charge scheduling department... there are a handful of scenarios with TOU rates where the car is just too inflexible.