Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pre Conditioning didn’t work on long Journey

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traveled in our MY RWD around 3pm 23c lovely day from Derby to Leeds starting at 100% and added in a super charger location on the maps the car was pre conditioning whilst we travelled got to the charger station at 49% plugged in and was charging at 60kw which was at the slower rate so surely the pre conditioning didn’t work took a good 10 minutes for the car to start making a decent noise to then hit 120kw, the same thing on the way back home not sure what happened this was the first time this occurred as previous travels we always get to the super charger and the battery is ready pre conditioned and flys around 120kw, latest version of the software is installed.

got to the charger station at 49% plugged

That may be a factor ... worth seeing if it ramps up faster around the 10% mark

If the charger was an old one (did it have two cables?) then if your car was paired (You were at the A-stall and someone was at the B-stall) then power would have been shared. If so then maybe the reason is that the sharer left at the point at which you then ramped up?

Park at alternate bays at such old locations to avoid that - doesn't stop someone coming and parking next to you though.

Sorry if you know all that already

There‘s only so much heat that the car can put into the battery pack without having a significant impact on remaining range / cost. I think that pre-conditioning has eased off a bit anyway over the last year because I remember that it used to absolutely hammer the range, then you’d discover that it had rerouted you to a different supercharger anyway.

Also. Commas. Jesus. Have some of mine: ,,,,,

Correlation does not equal causation. If you have a low charging rate it doesn't mean that pre-conditioning didn't work. As pointed out above there are many factors that determine the charge speed. I'd be surprised if you got the pre-conditioning message and no preconditioning.
Here's a charge I did from 63% and you can see that it stays around the 60kW rate throughout the charge.

. Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 10.59.36.png

Last edited:
Reactions: boombap
So the Op used 50% of the Battery on a Journey from Derby to Leeds? That is 76 miles. To use 50% or around 28Kwh on that journey equates to 2.7 miles per kwh or 370wh/mile.
for that to be the case the op must have been ragging it and with an ambient temp of 23degrees I imagine that the battery was plenty hot when he reached the charger and would not have needed any preheat!

Reactions: herohonda777
That may be a factor ... worth seeing if it ramps up faster around the 10% mark

If the charger was an old one (did it have two cables?) then if your car was paired (You were at the A-stall and someone was at the B-stall) then power would have been shared. If so then maybe the reason is that the sharer left at the point at which you then ramped up?

Park at alternate bays at such old locations to avoid that - doesn't stop someone coming and parking next to you though.

Sorry if you know all that already
Both times there was just one other vehicle so very odd!

Reactions: WannabeOwner
Correlation does not equal causation. If you have a low charging rate it doesn't mean that pre-conditioning didn't work. As pointed out above there are many factors that determine the charge speed. I'd be surprised if you got the pre-conditioning message and no preconditioning.
Here's a charge I did from 63% and you can see that it stays around the 60kW rate throughout the charge.

.View attachment 970669
Both times it appeared on the screen the car is in pre conditioning for faster charge

Both times it appeared on the screen the car is in pre conditioning for faster charge

Behind the scenes it can toggle on and off. Might be that it wouldn't come on at all if the destination wasn't going to benefit (e.g. your arrival percent SoC would be too high - I don't know if that IS the case).

Something like TeslaFi would show you the raw data for whether it was actually hapenning, or not. Whereas I expect the dashboard message isn't designed to show actual pre-conditioning, just confirmation that mode is now SET

Behind the scenes it can toggle on and off.
Yes, the message is always on, but the battery heater does toggle on and off during the drive:

Screenshot 2023-09-03 at 16.31.15.png
Might be that it wouldn't come on at all if the destination wasn't going to benefit (e.g. your arrival percent SoC would be too high - I don't know if that IS the case).
The only info I could find on the algorithm is:

• Intelligent preconditioning: the vehicle preconditions based on the power available at the specific Supercharger to which you’re routing.
Something like TeslaFi would show you the raw data for whether it was actually hapenning, or not. Whereas I expect the dashboard message isn't designed to show actual pre-conditioning, just confirmation that mode is now SET
I think you'd also get some of that info from the new Energy Graph, but haven't checked that in a while.

When you are driving. It’s subtle but still pretty easy to hear.
Motor Humming or Whirring when Navigating to a Supercharger
When navigating to a Supercharger (or third-party fast charger in some regions), Model 3 preconditions the Battery to prepare for charging. This ensures you arrive with an optimal Battery temperature, reducing the amount of time it takes to charge. In some circumstances (such as cold weather), it is normal for the motor(s) and components to make noise, such as humming or whirring as it generates heat to warm the Battery.

Hey all, update for you regarding this issue. I booked in a mobile Tesla service and they had a look at the firmware version and the chap had to force an update which was stuck on loop.

The version he updated it to is now 2023.26.9 which has solved the issue! Pre conditioning is working again!

Also to add he found something else on the dashboard system notification’s which was when I was charging overnight I was getting some strange notifications about charging could not be completed with an error code and It would require me to call for a service but he also advised this was due to a bug in the last firmware and many vehicles on the last version 2023.26.8 were experiencing this issue.

Reactions: init6