Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Various Noises

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've only heard 2 noises on my car when sitting idle:

1)coolant being pumped to keep the battery temp control. This happens A LOT, even when car is off and not charging. As soon as I open the door, it starts.

2)Air Condition running to cool battery when charging. I've only heard this once. This particular noise is a rather loud rhythmic clicking sound.

There are basically 3 sources of "noise" while the car is idle.

1) Coolant pump. This circulates coolant through the battery pack to perform passive cooling and to keep all the cells at the same temperature (no hot spots). This is pretty quiet - if you open the trunk you'll see the coolant moving in the reservoir.

2) PEM/Motor fans. These fans are in the rear and keep the motor and PEM cool. They usually only run for a few moments after you turn off the car but you'll hear them when stopped at a light or otherwise moving slowly.

3) Air conditioner and fans. These fans are under the hood and work just like the A/C fans on a regular car. When the A/C is on they will spin to move air through the radiators. The difference w/ the Roadster is that if the batteries are quite warm (40C or higher) or charging the A/C can come on to cool the batteries w/o you pushing the button in the cabin.

One other thing since it sometimes gets hot in SoCal in the summer. If necessary to keep the batteries cool, the car may divert A/C from the cabin to the batteries. So if you're driving around in July at high speed and the A/C quits blowing cold air onto you, the car is not broken, it is cooling the batteries. A/C will return to the cabin once the batteries are cooled.

Is there an electric vacuum pump to power the brakes?

Yes, it's obvious but not loud. You typically hear it when you're not moving and put your foot on the brake, especially when you first start up.

Are the PEM and motor cooled only by air?

Yes. A weak point of the design; it's perfectly fine for driving on the street but inadequate for track use.

I fixed that with some 3M Ultra high molecular tape (a fancy name for very low friction tape). I put a strip if it on the bottom of my hard top at the back.

My hard top has some pads where it rests on the clear coat CF bar. Is that where you put the UHMW tape? I find that making the hard top bolts too tight results in more noise than having them just barely snug, btw.

My hard top has some pads where it rests on the clear coat CF bar. Is that where you put the UHMW tape? I find that making the hard top bolts too tight results in more noise than having them just barely snug, btw.

Not on the pads. I tried putting some there but it made no difference whatsoever. Actually I put the tape on the roll bar where the pads would touch it to prevent the CF from getting scratched. No joy.

I put the tape on the ridge (it's grey on my top) about 1/2" wide that runs perpendicular to the car. So it's on the underside of the hard top, going from side to side. The tape goes all the way to the edge of the top, so it has to go over some rubber steps near the edge. This ridge normally contacts a rubber gasket that is on the car just in front of the CF roll bar. This gasket-to-hard top seal is the source of most of the squeaking.

I'm about 3,000 miles later and the squeaking is starting to come back. Maybe because of the cold weather? So I will apply a new strip of UHMW tape this weekend. I didn't know about keeping the screws loose. I'm a little nervous about doing that - visions of the top flying off! Perhaps I'll put some loctite on them and screw them in just barely snug.