Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VED Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yesterday, I SORN,d our Mercedes. I'll "tax" it again on 1st March. I'm also putting my old Volvo 850 back on the road on 1st March. It has been SORN'd for a few months because I couldn't be bothered to fix an electrical no start fault over winter.
That's two cars that will just avoid the VED increase on 1st April.
I'll SORN our Model Y end of next Feb next year and re-"tax" it 1st March for 2025 at £0.
Have to do what has to be done!

Annoyingly that is when my standard warranty expires and my long standing "plan" of keeping this car for years and years is rapidly starting to look less and less likely.
as I understand, if you bought / registered it before 1st April 2025, then only 160/year applies (355 supplement would be for new cars

so if you plan to keep it - then it looks like nothing changes really

Reactions: Oxid8ter
as I understand, if you bought / registered it before 1st April 2025, then only 160/year applies (355 supplement would be for new cars

so if you plan to keep it - then it looks like nothing changes really
Yep, that's correct regarding only new EVs registered from April 2025.

The Expensive Car Supplement exemption for EVs is due to end in 2025. New zero emission cars registered on or after 1 April 2025 will be liable to pay the expensive car supplement where eligible (currently those with a list price of or exceeding £40,000 are liable).
Ref: Gov.uk

Though I looking around, from April this year it is £190 for ICE on the flat rate (from year 2) or £180 for alternative fuel. The over 40k supplement is £390 now (as from FY21/22), not £335 as referenced by some.

See: Kindo VED Blog

Either way, bend over and lube up.

Even the DVLA who collect it call it Vehicle Tax, don’t know why that was so controversial in original title to have Tax removed, Just paid my wife’s car and VED doesn’t appear on the Tax reminders at all
I know some would prefer the thread to be called

‘VED road tax, robbing b***rds, it’s so unjust, so much for encouraging saving the planet, I already pay too much tax”

…but I think we’ll leave it with the correct term. DVLA might call it tax at times, but they don’t call It road tax as far as I can see. It wasn’t a controversial point, it was a request to use the correct term.

Reactions: Oxid8ter

‘VED road tax, robbing b***rds, it’s so unjust, so much for encouraging saving the planet, I already pay too much tax”

…but I think we’ll leave it with the correct term. DVLA might call it tax at times, but they don’t call It road tax as far as I can see. It wasn’t a controversial point, it was a request to use the correct term.
A "duty" is a form of tax. So no one is saying its not a tax or trying to hide it. Certainly not me! Everyone seems quite happy with the terms "import duty" and "fuel duty" not sure why "Vehicle Excise Duty" should be so controversial as a name?
I would have been happy with "Car Tax" since it is a tax and you pay it on your car.
But "Road Tax"? really? apart from the fact it stopped being called that in 1936 they clearly don't spend most of it on the roads anymore either so every time I read the title it just bothered me. I know I should get out more :) .

Yes know what you mean

DVLA call it Vehicle Tax all the time, they don’t use the term VED, I know technically Road Tax wasn’t right but everyone knew what it meant

Reactions: Js1977
I'll SORN our Model Y end of next Feb next year and re-"tax" it 1st March for 2025 at £0.
Have to do what has to be done!
Would you even need to SORN it? Surely if you just tax it before the start of April you'll 'pay' the old rate and get 12 months from that point. That's certainly what DVLA indicate to me as below when I try to tax mine now.
1709041495226.png

Would you even need to SORN it? Surely if you just tax it before the start of April you'll 'pay' the old rate and get 12 months from that point. That's certainly what DVLA indicate to me as below when I try to tax mine now.
View attachment 1022517
Correct. You can "tax" your car any time and the new licence will start from the start of the current month.
But
If the vehicle is not zero VED you won't get a refund on any outstanding months from the old licence unless you SORN it first. It is the SORN that triggers the refund.

Reactions: djtaylor
View attachment 1022517
Maybe, I hadn't considered trying to do so before. I wonder what happens if you continue having NOT been told to continue? I might try mine on 1st March 2024 then. Just to shift the date from November and see if that works.