Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VED Changes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Government only have TAX as a source of income. The majority, or so it seems to me, want less tax and better Schools, Roads, NHS, etc.

I agree that is impossible, but the problem is what we actually get is more TAX and no improvemetn to schools, roads NHS etc.

The roads (at least where I drive) are worse than they have ever been. NHS is on its arse. Local schools your lucky to get into. Why am I paying so much tax again?

Its frustrating to say the least.

I agree that is impossible, but the problem is what we actually get is more TAX and no improvemetn to schools, roads NHS etc.

The roads (at least where I drive) are worse than they have ever been. NHS is on its arse. Local schools your lucky to get into. Why am I paying so much tax again?

Your ire may be better directed toward the bellends spending it, rather than 'tax' itself

Well, there is also an awful lot of public debt that needs to be serviced. I’m pretty sure a very sizeable chunk of government revenue goes on paying for that…

EDIT: Yep. Almost 8% of government budget last year was on public debt interest repayments. Nice.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Mod comment : rule “4a” includes effectively not going off on political discussions. It’s sometimes liberally applied when it comes to politics, government policy on self driving for instance, but we’re seeing loaded phrases over Tax which have long since left the topic of how much, which cars, when announced, impact on car prices etc

Please respect the spirit of the site rules otherwise I may need to enforce the letter of the rules.

Mod comment : rule “4a” includes effectively not going off on political discussions. It’s sometimes liberally applied when it comes to politics, government policy on self driving for instance, but we’re seeing loaded phrases over Tax which have long since left the topic of how much, which cars, when announced, impact on car prices etc

Please respect the spirit of the site rules otherwise I may need to enforce the letter of the rules.

I'd be ******ing useless as a MOD.

You ******ing lot, extract your *****ing digit and ******ing behave. I have banned A****, B****, .... Z**** so ***** the lot of you.

Good job mate, glad you are here :)

Silly question but I’m picking up a new Tesla in 2 weeks and was wondering if Tesla pre organise the tax or if it’s something I need to do in advance? I know road tax is £0 but you still need to apply for the tax, even if it’s free.

Judging by the state of the roads here, much of the VED from recent years, was squandered on PPE fatcats.
You mean the state of the roads around the whole country? Yes we have wonderful new “safety upgrade” concrete barriers, gantries for hundreds of miles and countless billions of miles of speed cameras “protecting the workforce” - which is never there, but everyone uses SUVs these days because our roads are like they have been subjected to a NATO air strike!

UK electric car owners will have to pay road tax from 1st April 2025... £165 per year for all cars from their 1st birthday (£10 for the first year).... also for those with a list price of over £40k when new and registered from 1st April 2025 there will be the £355 expensive car supplement tax to pay also.

Seems to me that a good time to change to a new EV would be just before April 2025, to avoid the £355 luxury car tax... or buy one under £40k if they still exist.
At current rates of depreciation that’ll be more than the car is worth!

also for those with a list price of over £40k when new and registered from 1st April 2025 there will be the £355 expensive car supplement tax to pay also.

As far as I can recall this was the amount or very near upwards back in 2018 and i cant recall how much further back it goes..... Where does inflation fit in this :rolleyes: