Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vegan seat protector recommendations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. On my previous cars with leather seats I would sometimes treat the seats with a protector product to keep them hydrated and supple. Since the seats in my 3 are vegan, I'm not sure what to use. The seats are some kind of plastic/vinyl but I want to be sure I use a good product so I haven't tried anything yet.

To be clear I'm not looking for a cleaner, my seats are clean. I want to treat them so they stay nice.

What do you guys use? Any site that describes what we need? Maybe a place that tells with certainty what material our seats are made of? I've tried to search but I'm having a hard time getting clear and guaranteed information. Thanks!

The only thing you can do to so that they "stay nice" is to keep them clean, so you're already doing good. Trace chemicals and loose material (dirt) abrasion are what will degrade them, and short of applying some sort of film on top there's not much you can do about that.

I use a rag damp with Optimum No Rinse solution. This technically leaves some sort of film too I think, but it's not noticeable and hasn't done the seats any harm. That said, the driver's seat got something on it at one point and has dull skid marks that don't come out any more.

You can use some sort of vinyl protector, and some folks do. I don't because I really don't like the residue. Don't use any sort of leather conditioner since it really isn't doing much other than making your seats greasy.

The material is a sort of polyurethane, btw. I believe it's "Ultraleather" from this company based on previous posts on this forum: Cleaning and Care | ultrafabrics

Reactions: GtiMart
I recently applied Gyeon Leather Shied to my white interior. It's an interior ceramic coating and I there are threads on the coatings in general (if not here, then definitely elsewhere). I generally keep things very clean either way and I haven't had it long enough to say what differences it has made, but I could say that it definitely doesn't change the look or feel of the surfaces after application (which is a good thing).

As Jclboston mentioned, an interior ceramic coating would offer you the best protection. I personally used a ceramic-infused spray sealant called The Last Coat 2.0 on my white seats. Although not as durable as a ceramic coating, I do believe it helps to protect the vegan leather and makes it easier to clean. And the spray sealant is much faster and easier to apply than the ceramic coating.

I can also vouch for Gyeon Leather Shield ceramic coating. I had it applied to the seats on my Model 3 (as well as on my wife's CRV) back in August 2019 and both seats have stayed super clean & supple. To date, I've not even had to wipe off or clean either seats. To my surprise, this particular coating does not make the seat any more slippery than an untreated leather surface. According to the manufacturer, it is safe to use on both real and synthetic (vegan) leather.

I can also vouch for Gyeon Leather Shield ceramic coating. I had it applied to the seats on my Model 3 (as well as on my wife's CRV) back in August 2019 and both seats have stayed super clean & supple. To date, I've not even had to wipe off or clean either seats. To my surprise, this particular coating does not make the seat any more slippery than an untreated leather surface. According to the manufacturer, it is safe to use on both real and synthetic (vegan) leather.
Hey! I am thinking of ceramic coating my upcoming Y - can you comment on how Gyeon has held up 2 years later? Any change to your seat from the product itself? I wonder if I already intend to wipe the seats every few weeks if it's still necessary to use Gyeon