Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Flagged During System Check "That Did Not Meet Our Standards"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received a cryptic text from Tesla today regarding my 2-month old M3. It said that "your vehicle was flagged during a preliminary power conversion system check that did not meet our standards." I was asked to immediately bring the car to the Charlotte service center, which is impossible since I live a couple hundred miles away. I have texted back for clarification but have not received a reply. I have also not received any warning message on the info screen. Consequently, I have no idea how seriously I should take this issue. The fact that it was a "preliminary" check gives me some hope. Does anyone know what is going on? Anyone else receive this text?

I don’t think Tesla responds to text messages, they only send them out. Call a service center and ask them to explain what it means. It sounds really random to me. How would they know something is wrong with your car before you know about it?
The car sends regular status updates to Tesla that are checked (by computer). This is not the first time Tesla has told an owner that the car needs service. That said, call Tesla service (the 877 number) and get a clarification. Tesla also calls if the car tell them you have been in a bad accident.

Reactions: C141medic
Update: Tesla called me back today. The representative said that Tesla was just being proactive (no real issue with the car at the current time), yet they want me to drive at my expense for 4 hours each way and spend the night, at my expense, in a hotel. because the repair takes 6+ hours. They refuse to pick the car up by trailer unless I pay. I told her, no thanks and to call me back if Tesla decides that the issue is important enough for them to pay to transport the car.

This seems to be a stealth recall campaign for this issue. Very disappointing that there is not more clarity from Tesla. I am frustrated because they will not give me a clear answer as to whether this is a required repair or whether it is just precautionary. It seems to be the latter. The rep was very friendly and agrees that it probably doesn't make sense for me to pay to make that trip, but she also could not provide any alternative.

Update: Tesla called me back today. The representative said that Tesla was just being proactive (no real issue with the car at the current time), yet they want me to drive at my expense for 4 hours each way and spend the night, at my expense, in a hotel. because the repair takes 6+ hours. They refuse to pick the car up by trailer unless I pay. I told her, no thanks and to call me back if Tesla decides that the issue is important enough for them to pay to transport the car.

This seems to be a stealth recall campaign for this issue. Very disappointing that there is not more clarity from Tesla. I am frustrated because they will not give me a clear answer as to whether this is a required repair or whether it is just precautionary. It seems to be the latter. The rep was very friendly and agrees that it probably doesn't make sense for me to pay to make that trip, but she also could not provide any alternative.

What is your build date? There is TSB on a range of builds sometime last summer that didn't put the right number of fusible links on the batteries. I think the symptom is cells can take them selves out prematurely and you get premature battery degradation.

I suspect they might be able to detect this by tracking degradation over time. I would bring it in regardless.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2018/MC-10148848-9999.pdf