Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle may not restart after supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 2 most recent supercharging sessions ended with the "vehicle needs service, car may not restart" message. This only happens after a supercharge... anyone experience this? I'm not convinced its my 12v battery since it only happens after supercharging.

I havent contacted them yet. I already have a service appointment scheduled for next week. I thought someone might have experienced the same scenario and would have some input.

Here's a theory: I had messages that said "Acceleration reduced. Car may not restart". The cause of my car's shutdown was the battery coolant heater failing. Leading up to this, on several supercharging sessions, the cooling fans seemed to work excessively (and the outside air temp was cooler than usual). All that sounds counter intuitive but I guess the system knows all the components must be available to protect the battery and if one is not functioning the system shuts down. Somewhere in your system is a component that has failed.

Warning: Acceleration Reduced Car May Not Restart

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: maximizese
Any updates? I've been getting an intermittent warning over the last 2 months about the "car needs service, vehicle may not restart" but it's always gone away after 5 seconds. Today was an exception. The warning came on and off repeatedly. After stopping the car and restarting the car, the vehicle did a systems check and some new warning messages came up:

"Acceleration and top speed performance reduced"

and

"Regenerative braking system disabled"

I called the roadside service via the MCU and continued driving towards my local service center. I made an appointment to address so other issues a few weeks back, but I guess pulling up with a limping car gets expedited. I got there 30 minutes before they closed for the day and was told it would be diagnosed on Monday. I'll see what's up but was wondering if anyone has had experience with such warning messages.

I havent contacted them yet. I already have a service appointment scheduled for next week. I thought someone might have experienced the same scenario and would have some input.

Did you make a bug report? When something like this happens you should make a bug report which is really just a time stamp. Within two weeks it is erased so you need to let someone know so they can download the info right away. Otherwise it is erased and they can't do anything for you. I know, a number of times they have ignored my messages and the data was lost.

• Informative
Reactions: Skipdd
You can also say "Bookmark" and describe the problem. They can search logs for "bookmark"

Always call when the problem is happening. Waiting to ask people on the internet isn't going to help them diagnore your problem and if you searched and found no immediate answers asking is just delaying the call even more.

• Informative
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
I didnt do the bug report, I forgot. But they did locate the message, but there was no associated issue with it, that they could find. Service had same results. So, for now no issues, no repair, and it hasnt happened again in weeks.

You can also say "Bookmark" and describe the problem. They can search logs for "bookmark"

Always call when the problem is happening. Waiting to ask people on the internet isn't going to help them diagnore your problem and if you searched and found no immediate answers asking is just delaying the call even more.

I think calling Tesla is only a little bit faster than talking to people on the internet and may actually be slower. I've had to wait over half an hour and typically more like 45 minutes when calling Tesla.

• Funny
Reactions: Chaserr
I didnt do the bug report, I forgot. But they did locate the message, but there was no associated issue with it, that they could find. Service had same results. So, for now no issues, no repair, and it hasnt happened again in weeks.

Yes, lather, rinse, repeat.. I've had numerous issues that I did make bug reports about but Tesla denies ever finding them. I'm pretty sure they are squeezing warranty work to help profits.

Reactions: Chaserr
I got an update on our 2013 S85 and Tesla will replace the driveunit. My app says "waiting on parts" and is estimated to be completed on Jan 8th. We started hearing a rotation noise at low speeds a few months ago; my guess is that a set of bearings were either wearing out or were out of alignment. In the meantime, I'm loving the 2018 S75D loaner. SAS is much more controlled and dampened than ours and the next-gen seats are making me jealous.

I'd love to chat with a loose-lipped service agent about the maintenance history of my car and to see which battery/DU was on the car, as well as the new DU that is to be installed. I'm assuming it's just a reman DU, but I'd love to know if any revisions and improvements were made. I'd hate to be in the same place 90K miles later and out of warranty.