Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle ramp discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reflecting on this, I think the west side end of line expansion and the 64 new Superchargers might be more important that we realise.

They seem to be allocating 4 stalls to CT charging, and the rest seem to be Model Y..

I think this is because of the need to keep pace with model Y production..

They don't work over the weekend and I think the charging and logistics mostly catches up over the weekend.

Assuming 30 mins per charge they can charge 48 CTs per day, the pile up of CTs in the lot is because production is at a higher rate.

On that basis, I would estimate production to be 80-100 CTs. per day.

So they will soon be at 500 per week.. Once the west side lot is finished (and they can hire staff) they may start working weekends.

A new CT line is being added in June, with sufficient cells, we might see something line:-
  • 1,000 CTs per week by May
  • 2,000 CTs per week by August.
  • 3,000 CTs per week by the end of the year.

A Tesla staff member commented on a Joe T. X post that another increase in CT production should be coming soon.

I think we can fairly safely round Model S/X, Model 3/Y, CT and Semi production numbers at existing factories up to 3 million when all lines at all factories are fully ramped and optimised.

IMO Gen3 production at Auston could add another 500K.
Gen3 production at Berlin could add 500K.
Mexico phase 1 - 1 million.

So I have got to 5 million out of 20 million.

I think a Gen3 factory can go from a building site to 1 million cars per year in 3 years.
Mexico will probably have a phase 2 which adds another 1 million?

Existing factory sites which could see further expansion, Austin, Sparks, Shanghai.

I'm probably up to 9 million now...

Elon stated 20 million by 2030 was still a target, I think existing production capacity and cash reserves will fund the required expansion in production.
Tesla also needs sites, engineers, workers, batteries and/or battery raw materials.

Robots and automation will likely amplify those numbers too even though its impossible to factor them in to any calculations right now.
Agreed,

I think Gen3 factories will be a cut-and-paste... with the same car designs so less design engineering for the car and the factory.

I also think Elon has a sketchy high level plan that goes close 20 Million vehicle capacity by 2030.

These are just some speculative thoughts on possible future Gen3 models.

Semi and Roadster - unchanged. (2)

Cybertruck - close enough to Gen3, stall a case for a smaller CT, (by 2030) a 2 seat model with all dimensions reduced. (2)

Gen3 initial vehicles:-
  • Small hatch back possibly a 2 -seat car with a stretch 4-seat model (2) (by 2025)
  • Small van of similar dimensions possibly a stretch version. (2) (by 2026)
Stretch versions are mostly a matter of a longer structural battery pack and longer sides, the front and rear castings and boxes should need minimal changes.

For redesigns of earlier vehicle platforms I'm also adding additional new models which are built first:-

Model S/X Gen3 redesign (6)
  • Large van similar to a Sprinter. (Also a mini/camper van) (by 2028)
  • Conventional SUV (by 2030)
  • Flatbed truck
  • Station wagon
  • Gen3 Model S
  • Gen3 Model X
Model 3/X Gen3 redesign (5)
  • Couple
  • Hatchback
  • Midsize van..
  • Gen3 Model 3
  • Gen 3 Model Y
This plan would total 19 different models covering all major vehicle segments.

Tesla is still skewed towards medium / large sizer vehicles.

Some of the vehicles on the roadmap are built after 2030..

By the time the Gen3 refresh is done the exiting Model S/X and Model 3/Y lines have been running for over 20 years and are close enough to end of life.

By 2030 there are 7 new models with an additional 5 new models coming after 2030.

My main point is that Gen3 versions of Gen1/Gen2 cars are possible, and there is plenty of scope to introduce new models.

Why do d I think Tesla can now introduce new models at a relative rapid cadence..?
The unboxed process makes it easier to share components, and reduces space and capex...
All of the key technologies have been developed and are proven.
The tools for design are mature, and the team is very experienced.

Some of the complexities that make traditional car manufacturing hard to ramp have been largely removed or simplfied.:-
  • Body shop
  • Monolith paint
  • Monolith GA with difficult access.
  • Steering and hydraulics.
  • Wiring harness.,

Last edited:
An additional consideration is Gen3 provides scope for Berlin and Shanghai to become more involved in new vehicle design..

That is because they are designing within well defined constraints, with mature tools and with Fremont and Austin checking their homework.

it is the right time to build up engineering and design skills in Berlin and Shanghai.

Cybertruck - close enough to Gen3, stall a case for a smaller CT, (by 2030) a 2 seat model with all dimensions reduced. (2)

• Small hatch back possibly a 2 -seat car with a stretch 4-seat model (2) (by 2025)
Stretch versions are mostly a matter of a longer structural battery pack and longer sides, the front and rear castings and boxes should need minimal changes.

For redesigns of earlier vehicle platforms I'm also adding additional new models which are built first:-

• Flatbed truck
  • Station wagon
  • Gen3 Model S
  • Gen3 Model X
Model 3/X Gen3 redesign (5)
  • Couple
  • Hatchback
  • Midsize van..
  • Gen3 Model 3
  • Gen 3 Model Y

Tesla is still skewed towards medium / large sizer vehicles.

By the time the Gen3 refresh is done the exiting Model S/X and Model 3/Y lines have been running for over 20 years and are close enough to end of life.

By 2030 there are 7 new models with an additional 5 new models coming after 2030.

My main point is that Gen3 versions of Gen1/Gen2 cars are possible, and there is plenty of scope to introduce new models.

Why do d I think Tesla can now introduce new models at a relative rapid cadence..?
The unboxed process makes it easier to share components, and reduces space and capex...

Some of the complexities that make traditional car manufacturing hard to ramp have been largely removed or simplfied.:-
  • Body shop
  • Monolith paint
  • Monolith GA with difficult access.
  • Wiring harness.,
I nominate thee for Moderator's Choice once again!

Cybertruck - close enough to Gen3, still a case for a smaller CT, (by 2030) a 2 seat model with all dimensions reduced. (2)

• Flatbed truck
  • Station wagon
  • Gen3 Model S
  • Gen3 Model X
Model 3/Y Gen3 redesign (5)
  • Coupe
  • Hatchback
  • Midsize van..
  • Gen3 Model 3
  • Gen 3 Model Y

Tesla is still skewed towards medium / larger size vehicles.

By the time the Gen3 refresh is done the existing Model S/X and Model 3/Y lines have been running for over 20 years and are close enough to end of life.

Why do I think Tesla can now introduce new models at a relatively rapid cadence?

Some of the complexities that make traditional car manufacturing hard to ramp have been largely removed or simplified.:-
  • Body shop
  • Monolithic paint
  • Monolithic GA with difficult access.
  • Wiring harness.,
An additional consideration is Gen3 provides scope for Berlin and Shanghai to become more involved in new vehicle design..

That is because they are designing within well defined constraints, with mature tools and with Fremont and Austin checking their homework.

it is the right time to build up engineering and design skills in Berlin and Shanghai.

I was really surprised looking at Jeff Roberts' video today just how much CT production has jumped from yesterday and Monday. It looks like a 3x increase in production with only a ~2x increase in production-hold units. Production-hold units seem to generally clear out on the weekends, but the reduction suggests the line is being dialed in better.

Reactions: MC3OZ
Each truck has 1360ish cells, so that's 1.4 million a week.
It was 4 months to go from from 10 million to 20 million cells (June to October). This puts them at a rate of 10 million cells in under 2 months. So they've double production in the last 5 months.
We don't have insight into how many lines are running, so it's hard to project growth moving forward, but if this is only Line 1&2, they have another doubling near term (100k trucks), and another by end of year (200k trucks) just from added line capacity. Efficiency improvements stack on top of that.

You skipped some of the math you did there, let me know if I get it right:
  • Current news is 1K CT per week, 1360 cells/CT means 1,360,000 cells/week or 5.9M per month (at 4.3 weeks/month on average)
  • In June they announced 10M cells produced total, October the same for 20M cells so 10M cells produced in the 4 months in between = 2.5M cells/month
  • 5.9M/2.5M > 2 so more than double production rate of 4680 cells
You had me a bit confused with accumulated vs. weekly cell production...

To nitpick, if they produced 2.5M cells per week on average in Jun-Oct, the run rate in Oct was already higher than that so took longer than 5 months to increase production rate by the factor 5.9/2.5 but I guess we´re trying to be more exact than we really can given the few data points anyway.

Reactions: Dikkie Dik