Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Shutting Down, Pull Over Safely Warning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scary thing happened today. While my wife and I driving our Model Y to Ikea, a message showed up on the screen telling us to pull over the vehicle is shutting down. After we pulled over to the shoulder, the car wouldn't start with the message saying it was shutting down. The car never really shut down but I could not put it back to Drive. After resetting it twice, we still couldn't start it. I then contacted roadside assistant for a tow truck to the SC. It was going to be a 45 min wait. After 15 min the shutting down messages went away and I was able to drive it again. I canceled road side assistant and was able to continue our trip. The rest of the day the car drove fine. I still made an appointment with Tesla for next week to see what is wrong with it. Have this happen to anyone else? Getting stuck on the highway was no fun, especially we were at a curvy part of the highway. Fortunately the shoulder of that section was pretty wide. Never going to buy another early version of Tesla again. Been having too many small issues, and today experience actually made my wife to lose a lot of faith in the car.View attachment 584938

yes. The exact same thing happened to us 8 days ago. There was a software update that was released the next day (36.3) which seems to have fixed it. I did take it to the SC yesterday and they confirmed that it was a software issue that has been fixed.

My Y says mine is 2020.32.4. I keep checking if there are any new updates and it says no. How do I get 2020.36.3? I dont want this happening with a baby on board.

Car is on standard updates, not advanced.
Mine was on standard, too. I do t know if you can control when updates become available to you, they just kind of appear. If it does happen, just pull over and if you are able, exit the car, walk far enough away for it to lock and re-enter. That seems to have solved it for most people. I was on a narrow shoulder and couldn’t exit safely, so I just waited 10-25 minutes inside and the car rebooted and then after a few minutes was driveable again. At that point I turned around and took it home and exchanged it for a different car. The software update pushed they the next day seems to have solved the issue. I do believe they took away the update that was causing the problem though, so you will probably be fine.

My Y says mine is 2020.32.4. I keep checking if there are any new updates and it says no. How do I get 2020.36.3? I dont want this happening with a baby on board.

Car is on standard updates, not advanced.

One idea I have is you can call Tesla Service and let them know your concern.

My p100d shut down AT NIGHT IN THE CARPOOL LANE with my family in the car. We nearly got into a massive accident, endangering me my family and everyone around us.

The shut down error occurred multiple times and mine had to be towed when I was preparing to go to Tesla service with it.

They couldn't even put the vehicle in neutral.

I’ve been seeing this over r/TeslaModelY as well. Yikes. If this gets picked up by the news, I can only imagine the headlines and ensuing outrage. “Tesla Model Y update disables cars while driving” “Tesla update bricks cars” Not good.
This just happened to me tonight. I barely got a 5 second warning and the car completely shut down as I was trying to pull over. Was still stuck in the lane with hazards on. Thank God I wasn’t on the freeway!!! I tried to reboot 3 times. Couldn’t even get the car in neutral to push it out of traffic. It took 1 hour for a town truck to arrive. This is so dangerous. I’m shocked that this hasn’t made the news yet or someone hasn’t died.

This just happened to me tonight. I barely got a 5 second warning and the car completely shut down as I was trying to pull over. Was still stuck in the lane with hazards on. Thank God I wasn’t on the freeway!!! I tried to reboot 3 times. Couldn’t even get the car in neutral to push it out of traffic. It took 1 hour for a town truck to arrive. This is so dangerous. I’m shocked that this hasn’t made the news yet or someone hasn’t died.
Also, the car (Model Y) is not even 2 weeks old and has less than 500 miles. I was so excited when I first purchased the car and now I’m so disappointed and feel scared to drive it again.

I tried getting out and walking away. Twice. That didn’t work either.

Also, the car (Model Y) is not even 2 weeks old and has less than 500 miles. I was so excited when I first purchased the car and now I’m so disappointed and feel scared to drive it again.

I tried getting out and walking away. Twice. That didn’t work either.
You should schedule an appointment with Tesla to have this checked out. Especially since it sounds like your car actually shut down. The issue being described in this thread was a software bug from last September where the message was coming up but the car was not actually shutting down (it just would not be able to drive until the message cleared). That issue has long since been resolved, so if your car actually did shut down you should immediately have Tesla check it out as there maybe be a hardware issue that needs to be addressed.

You should schedule an appointment with Tesla to have this checked out. Especially since it sounds like your car actually shut down. The issue being described in this thread was a software bug from last September where the message was coming up but the car was not actually shutting down (it just would not be able to drive until the message cleared). That issue has long since been resolved, so if your car actually did shut down you should immediately have Tesla check it out as there maybe be a hardware issue that needs to be addressed.
Thanks. It got towed and I guess will be looked at tomorrow. Mentally though, the damage is done. I’m so upset. I have totally lost faith in the cars safety and feel completely helpless and stuck with it now. What if next time I’m on the freeway and have no time to pull over? I’m terrified.

Scary thing happened today. While my wife and I driving our Model Y to Ikea, a message showed up on the screen telling us to pull over the vehicle is shutting down. After we pulled over to the shoulder, the car wouldn't start with the message saying it was shutting down. The car never really shut down but I could not put it back to Drive. After resetting it twice, we still couldn't start it. I then contacted roadside assistant for a tow truck to the SC. It was going to be a 45 min wait. After 15 min the shutting down messages went away and I was able to drive it again. I canceled road side assistant and was able to continue our trip. The rest of the day the car drove fine. I still made an appointment with Tesla for next week to see what is wrong with it. Have this happen to anyone else? Getting stuck on the highway was no fun, especially we were at a curvy part of the highway. Fortunately the shoulder of that section was pretty wide. Never going to buy another early version of Tesla again. Been having too many small issues, and today experience actually made my wife to lose a lot of faith in the car.View attachment 584938
Yes happened to me, 2018, Model s 29k miles. 100d

Had a similar but worse issue this weekend. On 2022 Model 3. So brand new car - 2 months old. After getting the same message of the freeway was able to last for another 3 minutes and exit. After we parked the car turned off and never get back on. They couldn't reset it remotely nor pushing the two buttons on the steering wheel helped. Spend 30 mins with the rep on the phone and then waiting for the tow truck for another hour. The car is at the dealership now. No definite timeline, nor they even explained the issue and no loaner for the first 72 hrs (as I hear very typical Tesla service now days). Still wonder how much time it gives after the warning message and if could have stopped in the middle of the freeway with lights off and doors locked - sure death scenario...