Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vehicle Shutdown; Pull over safely

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone ever encountered error message "vehicle shut down, pull over safely" message? I picked up a brand new MYLR yesterday and after driving for just an hour, I got the message above and got stranded at an interstate highway. Roadside assistance had me try reboot and cycle down, vehicle drove for 5 minutes but shut down again. Vehicle was finally towed. Still had 50% battery charge.

Has anyone ever encountered error message "vehicle shut down, pull over safely" message? I picked up a brand new MYLR yesterday and after driving for just an hour, I got the message above and got stranded at an interstate highway. Roadside assistance had me try reboot and cycle down, vehicle drove for 5 minutes but shut down again. Vehicle was finally towed. Still had 50% battery charge.
If Vcfront_192 error shows up, the front vehicle controller module needs to be replaced along with the low voltage battery. It happened to my 2021 MY RWD as well at the third day of ownership with less than 200 miles.

Niblets: Welcome to TMC. Yes, there have been a few instances of infant mortality amongst the 100s of thousands of Teslas in the US. Sadly, it happens in every brand. Hopefully your Service Center is competent and can quickly diagnose and correct your car's problem.

Ugh...holiday closures will complicate this. Sorry for the HUGE disappointment you must be feeling.

Good luck. Take the time to get familiar with TMC. There's a wealth of valuable information here.

This happened to me today on a busy freeway in Los Angeles with no shoulder to pull over onto. Very scary. The car was moving very slowly in rush hour traffic when it just braked to a stop. Even though there was a message that said "vehicle shut down, pull over safely", I couldn't put the car in Drive to pull over even if there was a shoulder. The message also said that exiting and reentering the vehicle may fix it. I opened and closed the door (I wasn't about to get out of the car on the freeway) but that didn't help. I did a soft reboot of the screen and that didn't fix it either. I then called Roadside Assistance and they said to do a hard reboot (tap car icon > Safety > scroll all the way to the bottom to the button that says "Power Off".) As instructed I left it powered off for 2 minutes then stepped on the brake. That fixed it. For now. BTW, the Roadside Assistance guy said that if it still didn't work to call 911 because that would get a tow truck out much faster than he could get one out. Important if you are stuck and in danger as I was.

Follow up: I took my car in to the service center and they replaced the inverter. They had my car for barely 24 hours so that was fast. My car is out of the main warranty at 60,000 miles but they replaced it free - that part of the car is still covered. So good news. I hope it doesn't happen again!
Yes - the battery and "drive units" (motors and inverters) are covered under the 8-year/100-150K-mile powertrain warranty.

Glad it was fixed quickly!

This happened to me right after I bought my MYLR on the way home. I was on the interstate driving for about 140 miles when it happened. The service center tried to fix it (after a week with them) but to no avail. I experienced the same error barely 28 miles on the road the 2nd time around.