Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Venting windows

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I am confused. Why is it that when I leave my car and open the App, and set the windows to VENT (after closing them) I see them roll down but most times when I return to the car they are closed.? Is it just me? Bluetooth is on and alarm beep sounds when I walk away. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance. Ron (2018 Model 3)

Hello all. I am confused. Why is it that when I leave my car and open the App, and set the windows to VENT (after closing them) I see them roll down but most times when I return to the car they are closed.? Is it just me? Bluetooth is on and alarm beep sounds when I walk away. Am I missing something? Thanks in advance. Ron (2018 Model 3)

When you walk away, and the alarm beeps, are you certain that the windows are not rolling up at that point (so rolling up when the alarm activates)? It sounds like you are setting them to vent before the alarm turns on.

When you walk away, and the alarm beeps, are you certain that the windows are not rolling up at that point (so rolling up when the alarm activates)? It sounds like you are setting them to vent before the alarm turns on.
Hello and thank you. Aha!! Yes, I am setting them before the alarm sounds. Are you saying to set after the alarm sounds? Will I be out of range for bluetooth at that point? Again, thanks for the reply.

Hello and thank you. Aha!! Yes, I am setting them before the alarm sounds. Are you saying to set after the alarm sounds? Will I be out of range for bluetooth at that point? Again, thanks for the reply.

The bluetooth connection for the phone and your car is for 2 things, music and stuff when you are in it, and a separate type of connection (called bluetooth LE) for "phone as key" functionality. The regular app functions (including starting the vehicle, sentry mode on and off, frunk and trunk opening. etc) are executed through the cellular connection, so can be done from anywhere, as long as both the car and the phone have a cellular data connection.

I suspect that the windows are closing when your alarm activates. If you wait till after your alarm activates to vent the window from the app (while walking away, or "later" whenever you get inside wherever you were parking at), they will likely stay that way.

Give it a try and report back.

Check the “close windows on lock” setting at the bottom of the locks menu (car menu > locks). If you have the setting enabled as shown below, the windows will close when the car locks.

With this setting enabled, if you want your windows to remain open/vented while you’re away, you’ll have to wait to select the vent function in the app until after the car is locked.

If you never want the windows to close themselves, disable this setting.

DA2439CB-58EB-4ECB-87F5-40FD70E2AC80.jpeg