Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vermont "net metering"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Vermont utility charges $0.20/kwh and I get a credit of $0.15/kwh for power returned to the grid. So its not really net metering. So the question is, can I justify a Powerwall? If I charge a PW during the day from my solar and use that power at night, it is worth 20 cents and if just dump the extra power from daylight onto the grid I lose 5 cents / kwh. So what are the parameters? For at least part of the year (summer) I could essentially be off grid. During the winter with no "net metering" credit accumulated and next to no solar production, back to full retail price for purchased power.

How much are you pushing back to the grid daily? If it is a lot and you use a lot of energy after the solar stops producing, then there may be a possibility. But it probably won't be a quick payback. If an installation costs $10,000 (I have no idea a real number) that's 10 years if you are saving $80/month. Incentives may help, but it can still be a long payback.
From Vermont, I don't expect a high AC cost, and I'd assume that you are on non-electric heat.

Did some figuring. If I could fill up a 2 box system every day and use it all overnight, I'd save about a dollar a day, I think. Local install is about 13K. So the net metering differential would have to be a lot bigger. And I cannot really justify that kind of money as backup for occasional (I hope) power outages.