Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vertical Lines on Windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, I feel like an idiot asking a stupid question...but here we go.

I picked up my MX in April 2017. My only windshield complaints were some ghosting at night. I've lived with it.

In August my family took a 4 week road trip across the country and back and the MX sat in our garage the entire time. Upon returning and driving the MX I noticed severe vertical striping on the windshield. I thought it was odd but figured it was just some strange dust or something that had settled.

This week I finally got around to hand washing the car. I took a microfiber rag to the windshield with some Invisible Glass cleaner. The lines WILL NOT come off. Visually they appear to be on the outside. There a few odd things about this:
  • I never noticed any lines until the car sat unused for a month in a garage (we have motion detectors in our garage...nothing was in there). I can't fathom why this would just show up after sitting for a month. Unless I simply never noticed it before but that would be really odd since it's extremely obvious and driving me nuts now. I've been driving the car for a year and a half with no issues!
  • I'll include some pics I tried to take and you'll see that the lines are perfectly vertical. Like something rolled up and down the windshield. Some are tight lines with defined edges, some are more like smears, but they are all up and down with no curves. If you look closely, some of the smeared ones have strange horizontal marks going across.
  • I know you look at the pics and say that I must have dragged something up and over my car but I swear I didn't! I've only ever used completely touch-less car washes. There are no marks on the hood. The last time someone else touched the windshield was in May when Tesla gave me a complimentary detail (long story). But I would have noticed this in May, June, July.
I can't help but look at this and think that it was some form of manufacturing defect that for some reason took a year and a half to appear! Anyone ever seen anything like this? Suggestions? Thanks all.

IMG_5440.jpeg
IMG_5442.jpeg
IMG_5447.jpeg

Midkidd you are not crazy. I have a model X manufactured in fall 2017 and I have also seen the exact vertical lines in my windshield. I also never go to touch car washes. I had Tesla service out for an unrelated problem and asked the technician if they have ever experienced this problem. They checked and it has been reported as a problem and they said I should qualify for a new windshield. I have not heard back yet so I will call service and you should as well.

Midkidd you are not crazy. I have a model X manufactured in fall 2017 and I have also seen the exact vertical lines in my windshield. I also never go to touch car washes. I had Tesla service out for an unrelated problem and asked the technician if they have ever experienced this problem. They checked and it has been reported as a problem and they said I should qualify for a new windshield. I have not heard back yet so I will call service and you should as well.

Thank you! Not happy about the problem, but thank you for confirming I’m not the only one! It seems to be getting worse. I took a few more pics (attached). I sent pics to my local service center and they said they’d look into it but haven’t heard back. I’m going in for service next Monday so I’m going to have them look at it. With a sun reflection and/or headlights at night it is bordering on dangerous!

3A278794-BD89-4D6A-A673-F0AE2A1961D8.jpeg 6260622E-4F16-49E8-81A4-8FF38270775F.jpeg 64F3A8F5-7786-40B1-BC85-D82B973CDDE0.jpeg

My service center confirmed today that I am getting a new windshield. Mine also seems to be getting worse. I would say that my service has been tremendous and I feel they will take care of you once they see the problem. Your pictures helped to confirm I was not the only one with the problem thanks.

Reactions: MiddKid