Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MX90D: what does the dotted line on the left mean? (see pic)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

Today I took my MX on a ride on the German Autobahn and I noticed a dotted line on the upper left side of the energy graph.
Any idea?
I only know about the dotted line on the lower right side for limied recuperation.

And very strange that the displayed speed numbers turn red above 235 km/h...

IMG_2214.JPG

Reactions: Genie
My understanding is that will happen when the battery is very cold or the temperature is very extreme. Neither of those things seem to be the case in your situation, but here are two potential guesses:
1) The battery temperature reached some point where power draw is limited even though the ambient temperature is limited.
2) The max speed is a software limit vs a mechanical limit and that represents the amount of power you can use to reach the max speed without exceeding it.

These suggestions are completely speculative, but I wouldn't be surprised if (2) turned out to be correct. Then the color of the speed display could also be a warning that you won't be able to accelerate much more, sort of like the redline on a tachometer.

Cold battery temperature was not the issue (I guess), because I was supercharging around 5 minutes before my passenger took the pic. Or maybe the temp got too high because I was supercharging before?
Outside temperature was 12°C (= 53,6 °F).
In the official registration paper, max speed is mentioned with 250 km/h.
I guess I'll try it again when it's a bit warmer and without supercharging just before the test.

I'm not sure why I typed "limited" at the end of (1), I meant to type "moderate" or something. It definitely wasn't a cold battery, it's possible it was due to the heat from supercharging, but that seems unlikely at such a cool ambient temperature. You didn't indicate whether it felt like you couldn't go faster (up to 250), the energy draw isn't up to the dashed line in the picture taken. It will be interesting to see what you learn when you try again without supercharging (I wouldn't wait until it's warmer, seeing the limit on the draw side is pretty rare [especially when the charge side doesn't have a dashed line], and you're not facing extreme temperatures, so warmer could make it "worse" regardless of whether or not there is any issue).

ETA: The "max battery power" setting the P models have (had?) would heat the battery in order to provide maximum possible acceleration, so I guess it could be that the battery needs to be warmer, but that still seems unlikely, because the supercharging and the draw should both have warmed it up pretty significantly from a temperature that wasn't that cold to begin with. Did the dashed lines and colored numbers go back to normal when you slowed down? That could be more informative as to what is happening and might be consistent to support my second guess.