Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very random questions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When It rains in Las Vegas, we get many areas that flood with still water (not rushing). If it’s too deep, an ICE car will stall because the water blocks the air intake. Our Teslas have fully enclosed batteries, I believe. Can we make it through deep still water without stalling? I bet we could go submarining like James Bond. :D

Also, major car manufacturers, including Tesla are looking at solid state battery technology and feel its within a couple of years of reality. Would Tesla be willing to pop out our lithium battery packs and replace them with the new tech? ;)

Just curious.

When It rains in Las Vegas, we get many areas that flood with still water (not rushing). If it’s too deep, an ICE car will stall because the water blocks the air intake. Our Teslas have fully enclosed batteries, I believe. Can we make it through deep still water without stalling? I bet we could go submarining like James Bond. :D

Also, major car manufacturers, including Tesla are looking at solid state battery technology and feel its within a couple of years of reality. Would Tesla be willing to pop out our lithium battery packs and replace them with the new tech? ;)

Just curious.

Sure it will work, for a very short amount of time. Then the water will come through the doors, since the car isn't perfectly sealed and will ruin your interior. It will also intrude in other openings, where it will cause your Model 3 to rust.

If you go full submarine, then at some point the electronics will be flooded and fail and you will slowly drown in your car. So you can only be like James Bond for a very short amount of time, but maybe longer, than in an ICE (depends on the air intake).

• Funny
Reactions: Ormond
I watched a video on YouTube about a guy that rebuilds Teslas by taking 2 of them and making one complete one. One of the Teslas he was using was an S that was underwater for 10 days. Battery and motors were still fully functional.

I watched a video on YouTube about a guy that rebuilds Teslas by taking 2 of them and making one complete one. One of the Teslas he was using was an S that was underwater for 10 days. Battery and motors were still fully functional.
Yes, we all know Rich... :D But that’s not saying we want to completely disassemble our cars!

After seeing his details of what rusted and corroded, I’m not going through anything deeper than a deep puddle. And if you’re near the ocean, watch out. I’ve been around salt water all my life (boats and autos) and salt water will do much worse than ‘rain water’.

Word to the wise, the ‘if you can’t see the road’ rule is a good one.

Just curious.
Driving through any kind of deep water is plain stupid.
You can't see what you're driving on. If its so deep it would stall an ICE car then who knows what condition the road is in.
It all sounds great when some idiot drives through deep water because they only have to worry about themselves - then they get stuck and emergency services are expected to risk their lives to extract the moron in the car.
Saw that so many times in the last floods. Some buffoon in a truck thinking that 4x4 somehow meant he could drive through anything.

Reactions: boaterva
It was more of a hypothetical question than a true desire to submerse my vehicle. Could the vehicle handle it or not? If a zombie apocalypse occurred, that could be useful info. Haha :D
People were driving through 1 ft high water yesterday. I picked a different route.

No one has any thoughts on the solid state battery issue?

this idiot lives in an area where torrential rains are common, unpredictable, and severe. I was caught out on my way home 8 days ago on a street which suddenly filled with water. I did not choose to drive through it. I only tried to get out of it before the level went higher.

what happened was this:
1) the m3 drives just fine in 1-2 feet of water, it didn't float and no water entered the cabin, trunk, or frunk.
2) the rear bumper cover ripped of. that piece extends forward under the trunk area and acts as a giant water scoop. there are no relief holes in it to lessen the force of the water if you drive through it. in my opinion a design mistake. I doubt tesla tested the model 3 prototypes in 2 feet of water.

Hence if you drive through water you should be safe but perhaps end up with an expensive repair.

I read that Elon Musk said the newer batteries are completely sealed and....

5AF2A066-D9B3-4879-B64B-DABB368EB7EC.jpeg

Wow!

What are you referring to @SpudLime? It's a hoax that a Tesla can sink?

When I took the rear bumper off I saw there are vents below the line of the seats, so if you are in water up to the door-line it's gonna start leaking in the vents and the car will slowly sink.

IMG_4844.JPG

-Randy