Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Victorian $3000 EV subsidy starts tomorrow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Knee Jerk reaction to everything as usual. There are no other incentives or even talk of taking the ev road tax away so pretty much useless to anyone. 20,000 is less than 1 percent of the population of Victoria. Bandrews is a plague on this state ..

It's encouraging to at least see a government in Australia taking the first step to provide a direct subsidy to purchase EV's (beyond free rego/stamp duty or loans). Beyond the direct subsidy the package also includes setting a 50% EV target by 2030, 50 new charging points, moving the government fleet to EV's and funds to encourage commercial adoption. Let's see how long it takes other governments to announce similar or better EV incentives.

And while the $3000 rebate program has a price cap of $69,000, I note that a base level SR+ in white currently costs $68,094 drive away in Victoria ($64,425 excluding on roads). So expect to see a lot of white SR+'s getting a rebate through this program. It also wouldn't surprise me if Tesla adjusted prices in future so more colours and options could fit below this cap (like they've done elsewhere, eg Canada). It would also be nice to see Tesla superchargers included in the charging funding but I expect this won't happen unless the rumoured opening up of superchargers goes ahead.

Remember last year Tesla sold 3430 cars in AU.
Let's say they might now be at 1000 a qtr.

Or say 250-300/qtr in Vic... With everything else probably under 100 cars.

So they are a long way off hitting the number of vehicles.

And meantime existing owners are slugged with a poorly thought out and hard to manage tax that hurts the resale of their vehicles.

Reactions: Hairyman
Remember last year Tesla sold 3430 cars in AU.
Let's say they might now be at 1000 a qtr.

Or say 250-300/qtr in Vic... With everything else probably under 100 cars.

So they are a long way off hitting the number of vehicles.

And meantime existing owners are slugged with a poorly thought out and hard to manage tax that hurts the resale of their vehicles.
Seems to me victorian EV sales will now rocket whilst other states plummet, and the rate of EV registration transfers out of victoria will also take off. We need a national approach otherwise loopholes will be exploited.

Tesla added it to its website
Tesla's advice states that the maximum a vehicle subtotal (dutiable value) applicable under the rebate is $68,740. This figure can be found in the Model 3 configurator for Victoria under the calculate financing tab. On this basis the rebate will apply to a Model 3 SR+ of any colour or any colour other than red with either alloy wheels or white interior or a white SR+ with alloys and white interior. All other configurations will exceed the $68,740 dutiable value.

• Informative
Reactions: moa999
Seems to me victorian EV sales will now rocket whilst other states plummet, and the rate of EV registration transfers out of victoria will also take off. We need a national approach otherwise loopholes will be exploited.
I love the idea of buying an EV in Victoria and then promptly transferring its rego to the ACT (free rego). Or any other state really.

Goodness knows the population of Victoria is currently busy displacing every rental home tenant in SE QLD anyway, having gotten sick of lockdown laws. May as well grab $3k on the way out. All the low-income SEQlders are now busy moving to regional QLD because owners are cashing in so their leases aren't being renewed.

Reactions: paulp
Goodness knows the population of Victoria is currently busy displacing every rental home tenant in SE QLD anyway, having gotten sick of lockdown laws.
That’s a popular narrative among a certain sub-section of the population, but the FY20 data showed that Melbourne had the largest population growth in the country with 81,000 people:

It’s challenging to believe that the situation has changed dramatically since then. I really doubt people are leaving Victoria purely because of “lockdown laws” and if any are it would be a tiny number, a close to unmeasurable blip in terms of national population flows. My daughter moved to Melbourne in January, for example, and knows at least five others who also did.

That’s a popular narrative among a certain sub-section of the population, but the FY20 data showed that Melbourne had the largest population growth in the country with 81,000 people:

It’s challenging to believe that the situation has changed dramatically since then. I really doubt people are leaving Victoria purely because of “lockdown laws” and if any are it would be a tiny number, a close to unmeasurable blip in terms of national population flows. My daughter moved to Melbourne in January, for example, and knows at least five others who also did.
Those figures are irrelevant, they end 3 months into the pandemic, the very day the Premier announced hotel workers were (ahem) "breaching well-known and well-understood infection control protocols".

When it became so dazzlingly apparent how incompetent the Victorian Government is and how much they're prepared to hurt their population to cover up their own incompetence, people started packing up, ready to leave, as soon as the borders reopened.

Right now Vinnies and others are crying out for policy change to help the internally displaced people in QLD. Unlike the Cain/Kirner/Kennett years, Victorians aren't flocking to the Gold Coast in a planned and orderly manner. They're showing up and are outbidding the locals for the limited amount of vacant rental stock, which means rents there are skyrocketing. It's worsened by Australians slowly returning from overseas.

But speaking of covering up their dazzling incompetence, here we have even more policy on the run trying to cover up for their silly tax & hopefully buy Fiona Patten's vote in the Legislative Council.

I think you’ll find the well documented escape from melbourne happened mostly after the financial year you have quoted

I think you’ll find the well documented escape from melbourne happened mostly after the financial year you have quoted
Where is this documented? I’ve seen plenty of anecdotes and assertions, but amazingly no proof of this, or data from which mathematical calculations can be done. Large numbers of people move from NSW and VIC to QLD every year - that’s not unusual. But that is also not proof.

Happy for someone to provide proof that since July 2020 VIC’s population is moving to other states at a statistically significant and higher rate than in previous years. Melbourne is still forecasted to become Australia’s largest city within the next 5 years. How can that happen if people are leaving? Maybe people are leaving Sydney at an even higher rate 🤣

Or we can wait for the ABS stats to come out later this year for FY21.

Where is this documented? I’ve seen plenty of anecdotes and assertions, but amazingly no proof of this, or data from which mathematical calculations can be done. Large numbers of people move from NSW and VIC to QLD every year - that’s not unusual. But that is also not proof.

Happy for someone to provide proof that since July 2020 VIC’s population is moving to other states at a statistically significant and higher rate than in previous years. Melbourne is still forecasted to become Australia’s largest city within the next 5 years. How can that happen if people are leaving? Maybe people are leaving Sydney at an even higher rate 🤣

To be fair and balanced, your ‘proof’ that it hasnt occured was with irrelevant data. The ABS have produced more recent data showing abnormal departures from sydney and melb. I think for memory it was something like 8 times above average for melb. Sydney about the same. This doesnt necessarily mean the population is shrinking though, as it only considers departures not nett difference.
They’ll probably all go back temporarily to get a cheaper EV, which will throw the ABS even more.

Last edited:
Is there any substance to the 50% of new sales by 2030 target? As in, is it just "we hope this happens"? Are they relying solely on the $3k subsidy, hoping that does the job?

I'd much rather have emission limits on new sales, like the Europeans have, than subsidies and distant aspirational targets. Policy with teeth, not just hopes and dreams.

One of the reasons for our woeful EV uptake is that hardly any models are sold here. Not sure the $3k subsidy is going to convince manufacturers to bring any here when an EV is worth so much more in Europe, to help meet emissions targets. At least, not until they have the capacity to produce more than they can sell - and I'm not holding my breath for that.

:-(

Reactions: race4life81
Is there any substance to the 50% of new sales by 2030 target? As in, is it just "we hope this happens"? Are they relying solely on the $3k subsidy, hoping that does the job?

I'd much rather have emission limits on new sales, like the Europeans have, than subsidies and distant aspirational targets. Policy with teeth, not just hopes and dreams.

One of the reasons for our woeful EV uptake is that hardly any models are sold here. Not sure the $3k subsidy is going to convince manufacturers to bring any here when an EV is worth so much more in Europe, to help meet emissions targets. At least, not until they have the capacity to produce more than they can sell - and I'm not holding my breath for that.

:-(
Emission limits and banning sales of diesel consumer vehicles will definitely speed up uptake of the EV or PHEVs. This has to be a federal initiative mandating the states. Thats the only way it will work. The vehicle manufacturers have little incentive from the govt side to get their best EVs and the cheaper alternatives. Being RHD and so far away with 'less population' doesn't really help us either.

We're seen as a country which loves fast cars (rightly so) but with draconian road rules / speed limits and govt that is about 10 years behind the rest of the world. I (unfortunately) have a few mates who still call EVs 'toys' and are hugging their V8s and diesels..

The ABS figures for last year have been released today. Melb had a nett loss of 26100 residents in 2020. I havnt seen the monthly results.