Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Video Footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our X was involved in a 10+ vehicle accident on the highway this morning. We don't have the USB setup etc. CHP wants to access the footage. Trying to get footage ourselves is met with a "you can't do that" response from Tesla. got transferred to legal, but was the connection deliberately poor? If the police want the footage, it should happen right? how far back does footage go? after the accident, only driven to get up on the truck and get put in a lot. Tried to send e-mail msg to Tesla via maint app. Thanks for any suggestions.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lectric_Agent
Our X was involved in a 10+ vehicle accident on the highway this morning. We don't have the USB setup etc. CHP wants to access the footage. Trying to get footage ourselves is met with a "you can't do that" response from Tesla. got transferred to legal, but was the connection deliberately poor? If the police want the footage, it should happen right? how far back does footage go? after the accident, only driven to get up on the truck and get put in a lot. Tried to send e-mail msg to Tesla via maint app. Thanks for any suggestions.
If the police want the footage they will ask Tesla for the footage and it will likely be turned over.

Tesla is not obliged to provide it to you when asking on behalf of the police. Something doesn’t sound right here.

Reactions: andrewdtran
Yeah, well.... Time to get a USB drive and plug it in, set up the tesla cam and practice the skill of downloading recent events to the USB drive and viewing the results, to get an idea of the timing and what you see.

Anyone have an idea that with the command to download to USB drive, how much video time is transferred to the drive. I thought it was 5 minutes before to the time of download.

Reactions: andrewdtran
Trying to get footage ourselves is met with a "you can't do that" response from Tesla
Tesla famously does not give the footage out. I am only aware of two exceptions, both when they released footage to NTSB.

New Cops will most likely have to get a warrant
In all cases I am aware of Tesla told them to get lost and they did.

how far back does footage go?
the footage Tesla collects goes back ~10 seconds before the airbags deploy or other conditions are met (AEB, sideswipe, ...)

after the accident, only driven to get up on the truck and get put in a lot.
so the airbags did not deploy? There's a chance no footage was even created. Tesla does not store hours upon hours footage internally if you don't plug usb drive in, they only store 10 seconds and transfer these bits to mothership if you have predetermined set conditions met.

If you have hw2.5 car or older (i.e. made before Apr 2019) you can ship your autopilot unit to me and I can try and extract whatever data Tesla decided to save. If you have hw3 there's no decent way to even know if any footagewas saved - you'd have to trust Tesla and they repeatedly lied about this in cases I could verify.

If the police want the footage they will ask Tesla for the footage and it will likely be turned over.
Tesla does not share footage to the police.

I discovered a footage of a fatal(people died!) incident in one of Tesla cars, that shown the driver lied to police about their actions. Contacted the police department to see if they knew and they said Tesla refused to provide them footage when asked.

Tesla does not share footage to the police.

I discovered a footage of a fatal(people died!) incident in one of Tesla cars, that shown the driver lied to police about their actions. Contacted the police department to see if they knew and they said Tesla refused to provide them footage when asked.
They absolutely share data with the police when compelled by a court.

If the police simply called them up, asked politely, and didn’t follow proper procedures, I’m sure they were treated the same as any other person asking for footage.

They absolutely share data with the police when compelled by a court.
have any examples at hand?

They do share "black box" data, don't even need court order even (Event Data Recorder). We are talking about the videos here though.

If the police simply called them up, asked politely, and didn’t follow proper procedures, I’m sure they were treated the same as any other person asking for footage.
obviously I've no idea what sort of process the investigators followed in this case, but they were quire surprised the footage existed since Tesla turned them down.

Like I said: Tesla lies that 1. this footage does not exist, or 2. It's impossible to find because it's anonymized.

Outside of the two NTSB cases I don't know of a single instance of Tesla releasing such footage no matter who asks and how (and I consulted some lawyers on what to ask for exactly) so if you are aware of more examples of Tesla sharing video footage with 3rd parties, I'd be really interested.

Edit: there's an exception to the "Tesla does not give footage": they give away footage of sentry events if you ask within 72 hours of the event, it's documented somewhere even though many still don't know.