Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

View Tesla Sentry Mode & TeslaCam Video on your iPhone

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FYI,
These 128g HooToo iPhone Flash Drives as shown in my video (post #1) are intermittently available for the bargain price of only $17.99.
“Amazon Renewed”
It’s great to have multiple drives so you can swap them out. An example would be if you are a restaurant reviewing footage from your previous stop’s sentry mode incidents…
They sell out fast.
Available now as I post this:
iPhone Flash Drive 128GB MFi Certified USB 3.0, HooToo Photo Stick for iPhone iPad, Touch ID Encryption, iOS Flash Drive for iPhone X XR XS 6 6S 7 7S 8 8S iOS Mac Windows (Renewed) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RVN5VH4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_o-PeDb79BWT8X

For those of you who may be interested. I sent an email to the HooToo (developer/manufacturer) to make them aware of the potential benefit of adding TeslaCam related features.
synced 3 camera playback. Capability of iPlugmate app Formatting Tesla FAT32 Compatibly...
I included links to apps that already are you with TeslaCam footage. Suggested they even partner with other developers so that it can work with this flash drive…
I received a response implying that they would look into it...

I had to use a Mac to reformat and then it worked. It’s a pain since it’s now formatted for a Mac which I do not own. Oh well I guess I can solely use my phone to review videos.
Just FYI, FAT32 is a very old, common PC/Windows format (introduced with Windows 95), it’s not a native Mac format. You should be able to read it on your Windows PC.

About Windows file systems, FAT32, ExFAT and NTFS:
https://www.howtogeek.com/235596/whats-the-difference-between-fat32-exfat-and-ntfs/

Also, for iPhone/iPad users, be aware that the coming iOS 13 (to be released in the fall) will mean that you can just connect USB flash drives without any additional software to read them. (There is a public beta of iOS 13 if you are so inclined.)

I see that Electrek has just published a post explaining this:
https://electrek.co/2019/06/25/view-sentry-mode-iphone-ipad-ios-13/

• Informative
Reactions: VIKING26
Thanks for your description. I formatted a HooToo stick on my mac for my X and it works fine. The footage is viewable on my iPhone. However I cannot view it on my Mac. Quick View will not recognize it? How does one view it on a Mac? Thank you

Odd, It automatically mounts ion my Mac like any flash drive. I can view videos using preview (hitting space bar) or in QuickTime App.

I am mostly using also using this App I purchased on Mac AppStore.

Dashcam Viewer for Tesla Cars by Komocode
‎Dashcam Viewer for Tesla Cars

Screenshot:
41151680-447E-4982-9889-938B47C653AE.png

It requires iPlugmate App
I’m wondering if iOS 13 might open it up...

iOS AppStore’s link:

iPlugmate by Shenzhen NearbyExpress Technology Development Company Limited
‎iPlugmate

Thanks for letting me know. I’m running iOS 13 beta and created a thread where others are posting their trial results with different equipment and iOS13. We all are looking for a non 3rd app seemless iPhone solution.

Reactions: Daniellane
I use a pair of 128g HooToo iPhone flash drives.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LSBMH1Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_t1_k3W-Cb9HCDBJP
I swap them out when viewing & deleting files. Very convenient & economical ~$40 Amazon Prime each.

So I got one of these and formatted it as fat32. The car recognizes it for dash cam and sentry but when I plug it into my iPhone and view the clips with Plugmate many of them are gray and do not play properly. If I copy them into my camera roll I can play them just fine. What’s that all about?

So I got one of these and formatted it as fat32. The car recognizes it for dash cam and sentry but when I plug it into my iPhone and view the clips with Plugmate many of them are gray and do not play properly. If I copy them into my camera roll I can play them just fine. What’s that all about?
That’s odd. Corrupt TeslaCam files are not uncommon. For me, it tends to occur to one of the side cameras repeatedly for a block of time. I have never bothered transferring corrupt files. Always deleted them. This is really valuable information that you are providing. It’s not impossible that there is some form of error checking/checksum and file repair that takes place during the process of copying files.

Reactions: Daniellane