Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vinyl, CD, streaming, legacy games (out of Investment Forum)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just making a point at this juncture to um, point out what is classically, stereotypically, and clichély known as *the domino effect* or *the house of cards effect*.

My go-to analogy is record stores when CD’s were first introduced. Started with one end cap with maybe 20 CD’s - Madonna, Dire Straits, just the most popular titles. Then maybe one aisle of CD’s among all the records and tapes. And we all know what happened over time.

My go-to analogy is record stores when CD’s were first introduced. Started with one end cap with maybe 20 CD’s - Madonna, Dire Straits, just the most popular titles. Then maybe one aisle of CD’s among all the records and tapes. And we all know what happened over time.
Good analogy, but if you take it full circle LP's outsold CD's last year...

Then again, streaming outsells either. I have been purchasing albums since '75 and still do, but I must admit I stream more than anything for convenience mainly. Hi res streaming music sounds pretty spectacular, but there is just something special about the sound of vinyl (and reel to reel). Still have all my mixtapes as well... listened to one I made for my Uncle's wedding reception the other day and there were actually songs on it I didn't recognize! Too many substances ingested in the 70's and '80's probably.

Then again, streaming outsells either. I have been purchasing albums since '75 and still do, but I must admit I stream more than anything for convenience mainly. Hi res streaming music sounds pretty spectacular, but there is just something special about the sound of vinyl (and reel to reel). Still have all my mixtapes as well... listened to one I made for my Uncle's wedding reception the other day and there were actually songs on it I didn't recognize! Too many substances ingested in the 70's and '80's probably.
So are you suggesting the kids in the 2030s will start installing 'retro' Chadmo plugs on their cars to look stylish?

Streaming (Music as a Service) is perhaps analogous to Robotaxi (Transportation as a Service).

If you stream music while playing Fireplace Mode in a Tesla, it sounds just like vinyl. 🤣
Here's some trivia, if you played a song more than twice in about an hour, you've just deformed the record. They need to relax back to shape before taking more abuse. It's vinyl being scratched by a diamond needle! So that favorite song, ya it's probably gonna crackle a bit. Low stylus weight and religious cleaning helps but not fully.

If you stream music while playing Fireplace Mode in a Tesla, it sounds just like vinyl. 🤣
Here's some trivia, if you played a song more than twice in about an hour, you've just deformed the record. They need to relax back to shape before taking more abuse. It's vinyl being scratched by a diamond needle! So that favorite song, ya it's probably gonna crackle a bit. Low stylus weight and religious cleaning helps but not fully.
That's why I haven't played an album on a turntable with a diamond needle since 1974. Currently using a Shibada stylus on a great AT MM cartridge. However if what you say is correct, side 1 of my first copy of "Exile on Main Street" should be inaudible by now and it still sounds excellent. Although the chemicals ingested back in the 70's and 80's might have something to do with it...

Edit: fixed something weird... TMI

Last edited:
Umm, no more CDs, right?
When we moved our primary residence from N GA to E TN, we transported a rack with about 500 CD’s. We found we never listened to them and about 4 years ago sold them all to our nearby McKay’s Records and Tapes for maybe $350 all in. And there has not been a time since then that we’ve regretted our decision. We can virtually always find our music to stream.

That said, there will always be a nostalgic demand for vinyl, and even CD’s as physical medium that you can own. But I foresee charging stations eventually reaching parity with gas pumps, then slowly outnumbering them. But it will be decades before ICE aficionados have to plan gas stops like we plan charging stops.

We do. CD's disappeared including my collection of many, accumulated since CD's first were available to me in 1983, IIRC a Billy Joel album. Now I have no more. So, I don't understand, do you think charger standards will disappear into the ether with wireless charging perhaps?

Last edited:
That's why I haven't sorry that the president played an album on a turntable with a diamond needle since 1974. Currently using a Shibada stylus on a great AT MM cartridge. However if what you say is correct, side 1 of my first copy of "Exile on Main Street" should be inaudible by now and it still sounds excellent. Although the chemicals ingested back in the 70's and 80's might have something to do with it...

I won that album from a radio station call-in contest. Do you still have the Postcard set that came with it?

If only I had more than just three of the cards left perhaps the complete set might have accrued value over time.

Though I still think buying TSLA worked out better for me. I do still have the album as well, and while reading FUD will think of that one song on it about scraping something off your shoes.

I won that album from a radio station call-in contest. Do you still have the Postcard set that came with it?

If only I had more than just three of the cards left perhaps the complete set might have accrued value over time.

Though I still think buying TSLA worked out better for me. I do still have the album as well, and while reading FUD will think of that one song on it about scraping something off your shoes.
Yes, I still have the postcard set. First thing I do after I take the plastic off is to put on a vinyl album cover and inner sleeves and I keep everything, have since I got my first quality turntable back in late '75. Virtually all my albums are Mint Minus condition and many of my earlier purchases are worth over 10x what I paid for them.

I know this is OT but collecting has become more of an investment nowdays. Back before getting married, because the selection was so poor here my friends and I used to make "record runs" to Seattle and Portland on a regular basis, each time buying at least 10 albums apiece (and in my case many of them were imports which cost more but were worth it in sound quality and eventual value). Always tried to catch a concert as well. The only issue was sitting in the hotel looking at the albums but not being able to play them until we got home!

Wish I would have had one of these back then: Audio-Technica adds new hues to its classic Sound Burger record player

Tesla should provide plain MAME emulator and let users supply their own ROMs.

Frogger, Green Beret, Pac-Man, Astro Blaster, Zaxxon, and 17 thousands+ other old games available. I'd live in my car.

No kidding. My girlfriend and I will literally sit in our MY for hours playing Sudoku and Chess while listening to streaming music. It's become a lounge for us! :D

Yes, I still have the postcard set. First thing I do after I take the plastic off is to put on a vinyl album cover and inner sleeves and I keep everything, have since I got my first quality turntable back in late '75. Virtually all my albums are Mint Minus condition and many of my earlier purchases are worth over 10x what I paid for them.

I know this is OT but collecting has become more of an investment nowdays. Back before getting married, because the selection was so poor here my friends and I used to make "record runs" to Seattle and Portland on a regular basis, each time buying at least 10 albums apiece (and in my case many of them were imports which cost more but were worth it in sound quality and eventual value). Always tried to catch a concert as well. The only issue was sitting in the hotel looking at the albums but not being able to play them until we got home!

Wish I would have had one of these back then: Audio-Technica adds new hues to its classic Sound Burger record player
Sorry, also OT, but with this boring TSLA price action we have to talk about something...

Was more into cassette tapes as a kid as I couldn't afford the records, although my sister once had a friend worked for WEA who could get all their stuff for super-low prices, great while it lasted... then I amassed a collection of 1250 CD's over the years, which I also lugged-around until I ripped the lot lossless and gave them away to a friend... now I don't even listen to those rips, it's all streamed from Apple Music, which gives access to everything, everywhere and sounds superb

That being said, my son started to buy vinyl last year, turns out he's into RHCP, Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Zeppelin - nothing to do with me, honest! So thought I'd better get him an actual turntable to play them on for Christmas -> Riga Planar 1+ (with the built-in phono stage). Straight top to his room to set it up with my old X-Cans valve headphone amp and Sennheiser HD6600's, put on Led Zeppelin II and boy, I've not heard something sound as alive as that in years!

1686603103039.png

Sorry, also OT, but with this boring TSLA price action we have to talk about something...

Was more into cassette tapes as a kid as I couldn't afford the records, although my sister once had a friend worked for WEA who could get all their stuff for super-low prices, great while it lasted... then I amassed a collection of 1250 CD's over the years, which I also lugged-around until I ripped the lot lossless and gave them away to a friend... now I don't even listen to those rips, it's all streamed from Apple Music, which gives access to everything, everywhere and sounds superb

That being said, my son started to buy vinyl last year, turns out he's into RHCP, Pink Floyd, Radiohead and Zeppelin - nothing to do with me, honest! So thought I'd better get him an actual turntable to play them on for Christmas -> Riga Planar 1+ (with the built-in phono stage). Straight top to his room to set it up with my old X-Cans valve headphone amp and Sennheiser HD6600's, put on Led Zeppelin II and boy, I've not heard something sound as alive as that in years!

View attachment 946268
I have a decent vinyl collection. All from 70s-80s but purchased after 2K. I believe they had the best pressings then. Moreover, per several music lovers, back then the mixing was done better. This contributes to the 'vinyl effect' that those sound more alive. If I ever have time, I want to go back to having a few tapes too. Good times with Dolby B/C and Technics tape players.

Reactions: Max Plaid
I have a decent vinyl collection. All from 70s-80s but purchased after 2K. I believe they had the best pressings then. Moreover, per several music lovers, back then the mixing was done better. This contributes to the 'vinyl effect' that those sound more alive. If I ever have time, I want to go back to having a few tapes too. Good times with Dolby B/C and Technics tape players.
The biggest issue with music production came with the "loudness war" in the late 80's and 90's where every instrument was pushed to a higher db in the mastering process, this led to saturation and a loss of dynamic range

I've also noticed that I have often have a preference for easier mixes, even compared to recent remixes that have been done well, for instance Steven Wilson's remixes are as good as they get, but although the sound-quality is definitely better, especially with the drums, the original gives more pleasure - might also be a nostalgia thing or just having listened to that original mix all my life and being used to it

For sure though, pressings are better now, heavier and better vinyl is used. A lot of the LP's I bought in the 80's were warped and wouldn't even play on my Technics desk with SME3 arm, I used to seek out the German pressings over the UK ones as they were better quality

Reactions: GOVA