Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virgin Galactic

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My personal opinion is that at $250,000 for a ticket that gets you about 3 minutes of weightlessness in space, the market isn’t there to support 400 flights/year with 6 passengers/flight. That’s 2,400 people. Every year.

There are a lot of very wealthy people in the world. But what fraction of them want to pay that to go to space, and are physically (and mentally) capable of handling the flight?
I tend to agree, And I'd bet there's going to be very little repeat business.

Reactions: Grendal
Eric Berger interviews Mike Moses: Virgin Galactic’s president explains how VSS Unity is now flying frequently
I don't think we'll ever go pilot-less. There's a huge benefit, I think, in a consumer product to having people with you. You get to go to space together. You're part of a crew. You have confidence in that crew. We have very highly trained pilots. We'll probably keep that for quite a while. I don't think I'll run out of people who are willing to fly the spaceship any time soon.
He seems to be implying that someday the vehicle (their next generation vehicles) won’t need pilots.

And he says that they want to work up to flying daily.

No talk in the article about at what flight rate they will be profitable. Berger does ask some pointed questions.

Eric Berger interviews Mike Moses: Virgin Galactic’s president explains how VSS Unity is now flying frequently

He seems to be implying that someday the vehicle (their next generation vehicles) won’t need pilots.

And he says that they want to work up to flying daily.

No talk in the article about at what flight rate they will be profitable. Berger does ask some pointed questions.

Yeah. How many clients will they get with even one flight as day. That's an awful lot of people willing to shell out quite a bit for 4 minutes of weightlessness.

Reactions: scaesare
Yeah. How many clients will they get with even one flight as day. That's an awful lot of people willing to shell out quite a bit for 4 minutes of weightlessness.
Let’s say they are able to get up to one flight/week with their current vehicles (it seems they are not capable of much more of a quick turnaround than that). Will that generate enough revenue to pay for the all the costs to operate just those vehicles? Because at the same time they need lots of money to develop their next generation vehicles, which is going to take a few years, I suspect. How is that going to be paid for?

“The Delta class will be the driver of revenue growth and profitability for the company,” said Doug Ahrens, chief financial officer, on the call. “We expect very attractive margins from the operation of our six-seat Delta class vehicles.”

With a ticket price of at least $450,000 per customer, Virgin Galactic expects to generate a minimum of $2.7 million in revenue per flight. The operating costs per flight are about $400,000, which include the costs of flying both the spaceplane and its mothership as well as training and hospitality costs for its astronauts. The company projects the amortized cost of each Delta-class spaceplane at $100,000 to $120,000 per flight, based on a production cost of $50 million to $60 million and estimated lifetime of 500 flights.

If those numbers hold, Ahrens said that would result in healthy profit margins. With a flight rate of once per week, each Delta-class vehicle would pay for itself in about six months, he projected.

Wikipedia says that the primary design goal of the Delta-class vehicle is to be easier to produce in volume. Virgin says that they should be flying cargo by 2025 and passengers by 2026. I wonder how many of these things they expect to build. One flight of 6 passengers per week is ~300 passengers per year per vehicle. They've already sold 600 reservations for under $250,000, and they'll have to burn through those before they can start charging $450,000.

Reactions: Grendal
What? It took them 18 years to get Unity flying. Now they are going to go back into development? Yeesh.
One of the underappreciated facets of Elon’s companies is that he hounds them mercilessly during their startup phase when they are burning money with no revenue. In a startup, time is literally money. The longer you hang out with no revenue, the more money you burn. Any company that is effectively pre revenue for 18 years deserves to die.

Any company that is effectively pre revenue for 18 years deserves to die.
Even if it dies, I suspect that Sir Richard will just create a new one that does it a different way. The guy creates companies as easily as you put on a pair of socks. He has no particular focus; he just likes starting and running businesses.

I predict that Virgin Galactic will keep clowning around with suborbital stuff until Starship gets human-rated. Then he'll buy one or more, kit them out for space tourism, build some ground support for passengers, and have SpaceX launch them for him. He may even go after a private space station - because he'll do whatever catches his fancy. The space station will fail, deorbit badly, land on Australia somewhere, his company will be fined, and he'll start over again a different way.

He may be 73, but I figure he's going to be like Rupert Murdoch and he just won't go away. If he quits at 93, that's another 20 years of Starship development. Imagine where SpaceX will be by then.

What? It took them 18 years to get Unity flying. Now they are going to go back into development? Yeesh.
I recall reading an analysis a few months ago* saying that VG knows they will never be profitable with their current vehicle because turnaround times and operational costs are too high so they are going to develop a new vehicle that will be profitable. But that is going to take a lot of money that they don’t necessarily have, and attracting investors will be, umm… “challenging”.

* Edit: see my post #195 upthread.

• Informative
Reactions: Grendal and JB47394
Ars Technica: No further investments in Virgin Galactic, says Richard Branson

Sir Richard Branson has ruled out putting more money into his lossmaking space travel company Virgin Galactic, saying his business empire “does not have the deepest pockets” any more.

Virgin Galactic, which was founded by Branson in 2004, last month announced it was cutting jobs and suspending commercial flights for 18 months from next year, in a bid to preserve cash for the development of a larger plane that could carry passengers to the edge of space.

The group has said it has enough funding to carry it through to 2026, when the bigger Delta vehicle is expected to enter service. But some analysts are expecting Galactic to ask investors for more money in about 2025.
Not sure who would consider the company a worthwhile investment.

Boeing files lawsuit against Virgin Galactic over development of new mothership aircraft

The suit alleges that Virgin Galactic has not paid $26.4 million in invoices for work related to the development of a new "mothership" aircraft intended to power Virgin's next-generation suborbital space planes. Additionally, Boeing and Aurora accuse Virgin Galactic of misappropriating trade secrets. These specifically concern technical specifications and modeling equations for aircraft performance, passed inadvertently to Virgin as part of the project. Boeing and Aurora have requested Virgin destroy this proprietary information. Virgin declined to do so, claiming it had intellectual property rights to them as part of the agreement, according to the report.

From Eric Berger’s latest Rocket Report newsletter:

At the time of the agreement, Virgin Galactic said it needed new motherships to support an increased cadence of spaceflights. Virgin Galactic CEO Michael Colglazier said, "Our next-generation motherships are integral to scaling our operations. They will be faster to produce, easier to maintain, and will allow us to fly substantially more missions each year." The first delivery was due in 2025. After it began work on the project, Aurora concluded that a new mothership would cost nearly twice as much as Virgin Galactic hoped and would not be completed before 2027. Now, Virgin Galactic plans to soldier on with just Eve for the time being.
But VG stated last year that getting the next gen mothership into operation is critical to the success of the company. If the company building the ship is now suing VG, and the ship will cost twice as much as planned and take years longer to become operational, VG seems doomed. It is my understanding that Branson has said he won’t be putting any more money into the company.

Sure, but I meant doomed financially, not conceptually. There are likely thousands of people who would pay for flights. So there is a business case for the company if it can get its flight costs down, which the second gen ship is designed to do.
It's doomed financially because it is doomed conceptually. It requires a lot of wealthy people with more money than sense. That was true for a short time while interest rates were near zero. Money was thrown around casually, and every crazy idea that a wealthy person came up with was possible. That's why we have Tesla and SpaceX. Those companies could not be created in the current financial environment. They barely survived even in the extremely favorable environment of the 2000s. They only exist because they became profitable before the interest rate door was closed.

Virgin Galactic didn't move fast enough. They're still in startup mode 20 years after their founding. The money for building up isn't there, and the casual money that the wealthy had for those 20 years has either faded or vanished entirely. The fact that Richard Branson isn't putting more money into the project confirms that.

The money may come back. Apparently the rate of IPOs in 2024 is the strongest that's been seen in a decade. But it takes a very favorable environment for such a pointless expenditure of resources. Such environments don't come along very often and they don't last long. Virgin Galactic is a bit like Douglas Adams' Magrathea; a place where the hyper-wealthy can have custom planets built. But if the galactic economy isn't strong enough, the business is shut down and they go into hibernation until it's ready again. That's what Virgin Galactic would need to do.

Reactions: scaesare
I also never believed in the VG technology. "Incredibly risky and complex" comes to mind. In this era of automated spaceflights, VG relies on experienced pilots in both the mothership and rocket to not make any mistakes, and to recover from unexpected anomalies. And their ships have all been hand built custom one-of pieces.

Virgin Galactic is a bit like Douglas Adams' Magrathea; a place where the hyper-wealthy can have custom planets built.
Excellent analogy. But if VG had been able to build their next gen vehicles on budget and in the planned timeframe they would have only needed a few hundred customers a year to be profitable, I suspect. And given that there are tens of millions of people globally who can easily afford to pay for a VG ticket, it seems possible the company could have succeeded. But it now appears it will fail.

Reactions: JB47394