Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Virulent anti-EV protester with pictures of children mining lithium..

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

RSpanner

Sep 3, 2021
Oregon
posted pictures in a local rag in my home town, along with anti-EV rhetoric..about the abuse of thousands of children in Africa suffering and dieing.
I had heard of this years ago..does anyone know if and how much of this Krap is still going on? No, I am not selling my Model 3.

posted pictures in a local rag in my home town, along with anti-EV rhetoric..about the abuse of thousands of children in Africa suffering and dieing.
I had heard of this years ago..does anyone know if and how much of this Krap is still going on? No, I am not selling my Model 3.
Exploitation is a fact of life. Even clothes might come from poor working conditions that result in the deaths of workers. Petroleum kills people with wars, and environmental destruction as well.

Thus, ethical companies would do their best to avoid exploitation.

Upvote 0
Exploitation is a fact of life. Even clothes might come from poor working conditions that result in the deaths of workers. Petroleum kills people with wars, and environmental destruction as well.

Thus, ethical companies would do their best to avoid exploitation.

True. I knew about the children working for scum mining companies where children worked, I presumed too much maybe. I thought there was a change in these companies due to international pressure ( do law suits work here ? ) OK, someone guilt tripped me today..and yes, I am too sensitive to this stuff. ( 12 years Catholic school, still recovering )

Upvote 0
... someone guilt tripped me today...and yes, I am too sensitive to this stuff. ( 12 years Catholic school, still recovering )

Why are you still feeling bad? Did you read the article?

"Tesla ensured that it obtains the minerals in its products humanely and that it doesn’t use child labor, slavery, or human trafficking."

Why doing that a bad thing? Why are you feeling bad when Tesla's avoiding child labor, slavery, or human trafficking?

"...armed groups in the Democratic Republic of Congo (or any adjoining country) such as those utilizing slave or child labor do not benefit from Tesla’s purchase of minerals."

Why shut off the revenue for slave or child labor a bad thing?

"Tesla’s suppliers are required to establish policies, due diligence frameworks, and management systems consistent with the OECD Due Diligence Guidance for Responsible Supply Chains of Minerals from Conflict-Affected and High-Risk Areas (OECD Guidance).

The company also expected its suppliers to stay up to date with and use validated conflict-free smelters and refiners that are assessed by the Responsible Mineral Initiative (RMI) and similar organizations."

Why adhere to an international agency watchdog a bad thing?

Upvote 0