Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VisibleTesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Joe,
Thanks again for the amazing ongoing effort you're putting into this.
On the charge tab I notice that my "Range Charge" count is zero despite having just done a range charge today...
Now, I never got to 100% or Charge complete, but it was at 99% for over 30 minutes while the car was, presumably, balancing the pack.

Is this normal? A bug? What is the trigger to count the range charges?

Joe,
Thanks again for the amazing ongoing effort you're putting into this.
On the charge tab I notice that my "Range Charge" count is zero despite having just done a range charge today...
Now, I never got to 100% or Charge complete, but it was at 99% for over 30 minutes while the car was, presumably, balancing the pack.

Is this normal? A bug? What is the trigger to count the range charges?

Hi Evan,

I haven't seen this before. I'll try to recreate those conditions tonight to see if I can reproduce the problem.

As you know, Tesla resets this counter any time you do a standard charge. So if you do 3 range charges in a row the counter will read 3, then if you do a standard charge it will be reset to 0. Is it possible that after your range charge, the charge target was set back to standard (or lower) and that another charge was triggered - even briefly?

I am currently having my Model S transported from WA to FL and, while I can see the current position on the map, the tracking does not work.

Hi wcalvin. That's a good one! The car is moving but is reporting its speed as 0. You can verify that by looking at the Graphs tab. VisibleTesla will definitely be confused by this. It uses the speed to determine a lot about what to capture and report in the Trips tab. In one sense it thinks the car is moving, in another it thinks it is stationary. I'll have to think about that. Having a car towed or trailered wasn't something I thought about as a "trip". Thanks for reporting this.

Joe

The range charge counter does not increment unless the car finishes a charge event greater than 90%. The car has to finish the battery balancing at the end of the charge event.

Meant to mention battery balancing only occurs on a100% charge. I charged several times to 95% and found the range counter incremented.

Hi Evan,

I haven't seen this before. I'll try to recreate those conditions tonight to see if I can reproduce the problem.

As you know, Tesla resets this counter any time you do a standard charge. So if you do 3 range charges in a row the counter will read 3, then if you do a standard charge it will be reset to 0. Is it possible that after your range charge, the charge target was set back to standard (or lower) and that another charge was triggered - even briefly?

Last edited:
Hi wcalvin. That's a good one! The car is moving but is reporting its speed as 0. You can verify that by looking at the Graphs tab. VisibleTesla will definitely be confused by this. It uses the speed to determine a lot about what to capture and report in the Trips tab. In one sense it thinks the car is moving, in another it thinks it is stationary. I'll have to think about that. Having a car towed or trailered wasn't something I thought about as a "trip". Thanks for reporting this.

Joe
The MS is on the transporter until probably Friday, if you want me to test solutions.

Hi Evan,

The slider was set back to standard, but I never plugged back in, so there's no possible way that I could have charged. I didn't realize that the count would reset...that's sort of odd...would be nice to be able to keep a running tally of range charges.

- - - Updated - - -

The range charge counter does not increment unless the car finishes a charge event greater than 90%. The car has to finish the battery balancing at the end of the charge event.

Meant to mention battery balancing only occurs on a100% charge. I charged several times to 95% and found the range counter incremented.
Interesting...I was at 99% for about 30 min., but never saw 100%. So that may be it.

I put together a little desktop app called VisibleTesla that allows you to do the same things that the iPhone app does, plus a few new things as well. It is based on the great work done by the folks of the "Model S REST API" thread. In fact, I announced it in that thread and have been discussing there until now. I feel that I was cluttering that thread with topics that aren't strictly about the REST API, so I started a new thread here.

Hi Joe,

Here is yet another thank-you to you for the great effort of authoring this great tool for us ardent techie Tesla owners. I had my first really fun experience of using the app on my laptop to do a live on-site recording of a full supercharger session at Ellensburg, WA. We were hanging out in the Starbucks next door and keeping in touch with Ruby on their WiFi.
photo 5.JPG

Cheers,
Vincent

Hi Joe,

Here is yet another thank-you to you for the great effort of authoring this great tool for us ardent techie Tesla owners. I had my first really fun experience of using the app on my laptop to do a live on-site recording of a full supercharger session at Ellensburg, WA. We were hanging out in the Starbucks next door and keeping in touch with Ruby on their WiFi.

Cheers,
Vincent

Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Joe

Hi Mario. There's very little chance for me to get insight into problems like this without a log file. If you can send me the log for this period it might give me some insight.

I'm not sure I understand why you mean when you say that you closed the laptop but that it was online and being used. Do you mean that you closed the lid but still had it connected to an external kbd/nouse/display and were actively using it? Perhaps the lid was closed but you were connected via ssh or screen sharing. Presumably it was connected to the network the whole time and the laptop itself did not go into sleep mode at any time.

Joe

The point about laptop lid closing was just to say there was such an event on Friday. I left office (i.e. closed the laptops lid and put it into bag) and arrived home (opened laptop and started using it). However there is no VT data points after the laptop was in use again until I specifically went to VT and clicked on charging. So it looks like VT never recovered to data logging after the laptop had been sleeping for ~1h. Then again I do this regularly and usually VT keeps recording data once it's open (the usual notice is that I get charging state disconnected message when I arrive in the office because I closed the laptop lid while the cable was still attached). One thing of note is that I don't think I closed VT when I installed a new version of Java on Friday though.

- - - Updated - - -

I have done two range charges where I stopped it during balancing because I had to leave (the SOC was 99% with 1 minute remaining for the better part of an hour). Yet VT claims 0 range charges.

Hi Joe,
Big compliments on the app!
It really is nice, especially for scheduled charging and full range charging in the morning just before leaving.
One question: could you expand that scheduling option, so that on different days different 'regular' times can be chosen?
Cheers from a very grateful Dutch user!

Hello & thanks again for all the work you've put into this great app!

Do you have any feedback reporting false performance options? Specifically the "Performance+" boolean.

Overview > Details > Performance Options:

Performance: true
Performance+: false
Performance Exterior: true
Performance Powertrain: true

Last edited:
Hello & thanks again for all the work you've put into this great app!

Do you have any feedback reporting false performance options? Specifically the "Performance+" boolean.

Overview > Details > Performance Options:

Performance: true
Performance+: false
Performance Exterior: true
Performance Powertrain: true

Hello ccbldg,

I don't have much feedback either way on whether Performance+ is being reported properly.

I'd appreciate your help in diagnosing your problem. If you look at the very bottom of the details dialog you'll see a line that begins with:
Low level information: {"color":null,"display_name":...​

If you send me this information (it's a really long line), I can look into why your car is being reported as "Performance+: false".

This data includes your VIN. Feel free to remove before you send it if you'd like. I don't need it for this purpose.

Joe

- - - Updated - - -

Hi Joe,
Big compliments on the app!
It really is nice, especially for scheduled charging and full range charging in the morning just before leaving.
One question: could you expand that scheduling option, so that on different days different 'regular' times can be chosen?
Cheers from a very grateful Dutch user!

Hi Maarten,

I'm glad you're enjoying the app. When you say "expand that scheduling option" do you mean add more rows? There are currently 8. Do you want to have more than 8 scheduled events? How many would be sufficient? The actual scheduling part of that would be very simple. I just need to think about the user interface.

Joe

The point about laptop lid closing was just to say there was such an event on Friday. I left office (i.e. closed the laptops lid and put it into bag) and arrived home (opened laptop and started using it). However there is no VT data points after the laptop was in use again until I specifically went to VT and clicked on charging. So it looks like VT never recovered to data logging after the laptop had been sleeping for ~1h. Then again I do this regularly and usually VT keeps recording data once it's open (the usual notice is that I get charging state disconnected message when I arrive in the office because I closed the laptop lid while the cable was still attached). One thing of note is that I don't think I closed VT when I installed a new version of Java on Friday though.

Thank you for clarifying. I understand now. Do you happen to have the visibletesla.log file from that period?

Hi Maarten,

I'm glad you're enjoying the app. When you say "expand that scheduling option" do you mean add more rows? There are currently 8. Do you want to have more than 8 scheduled events? How many would be sufficient? The actual scheduling part of that would be very simple. I just need to think about the user interface.

Joe

Hello Joe,

Adding more rows would do the trick, but I think the scheduling would be more intuitive if it would have the following form:
On(y/n) Safe(y/n) Monday time command time command time command (8x)
On(y/n) Safe(y/n) Tuesday time command time command time command (8x)
etc.

I am not sure about the Safe option on that position, it's always on for me (don't want anything unsafe.... :wink:)
Could you agree with the different layout?

Cheers, Maarten

Hello Joe,

Adding more rows would do the trick, but I think the scheduling would be more intuitive if it would have the following form:
On(y/n) Safe(y/n) Monday time command time command time command (8x)
On(y/n) Safe(y/n) Tuesday time command time command time command (8x)
etc.

I am not sure about the Safe option on that position, it's always on for me (don't want anything unsafe.... :wink:)
Could you agree with the different layout?

Cheers, Maarten

Hi Maarten,

For internal code reasons it would be a lot more work for me to do it this way rather than adding more rows. It is more than just re-arranging the UI elements.

This layout would also end up being very wide (as opposed to tall). I think people are more accustomed to scrolling vertically to access more elements than horizontally.

I'll give it some thought. Thank you for the suggestion.

Joe

Hi Joe,

I have a few suggestions/requests that relate to some of this dialogue above, and would like to see what you and others think. I'll try to keep this to 3 for now :)

1) I realized you can now do something that has long been requested in TMC for the phone app: timing a charge to end at a particular time (many want to do this to minimize time at high SOC and also to have the battery warmed up right before a trip). One way to do it is: user sets charge current in car or leaves it as is, and optionally sets the target %, then asks VT to finish charge at a set time (with option to set a different target SOC %). VT could set that percentage, start a charge temporarily, then query the "time left" field, end charge, and then set a schedule event to start a charge at <end time> - <time left>. With the notifications option you already have, user will get a note when charged (or a one-time notification could be set also with this charge option). This seems to be the #1 requested feature for automated charging and all the pieces seem now in place with your beautiful software.

2) You mentioned in a previous post that you could make a more generalized Notification system for "if <variable> <verb> <value> etc.". I'd vote for that for several reasons, and it may help you keep the UI clean and avoid time spent on future requests. This reminds me of the simple drop-down method in iTunes for making song selections, and could even be a generalized box below your specific ones. Here is one example of a case that recently appeared and would not be one you thought of before, but could be addressed by a generalized alert. With new firmware, some people are getting their charge current automatically reduced. So you could set an alert if the charge current falls below some value, or voltage, etc.

3) Is it possible to have "email address" be a settable field for each notification along with a settable subject line or tag (if not set, it could use the default in prefs). Or with a generalized notification system described above these could be extra fields. This is useful for different drivers and in my case also for home automation triggered by receiving an email/subject tag.

Thank you for being so responsive to all our reports and ideas!

I don't think your initial guesstimate would work for the first point. In cold weather the car first needs to heat up the battery and ramp up the actual charging current over time. Therefore the initial estimate on time remaining is not really usable. The total charge time depends on multiple aspects and not all of them are accessible e.g. battery temperature. Therefore not being Tesla the VT app cannot possibly guesstimate right when to start charging at current charge power to finish approximately on-time. It might be off hours...

Exporting woes

I really appreciate the new versions of this app, particularly the [MapIt] function with graphs showing the trip profile and the ability to schedule activities.
However, the one thing I can no longer do is export stats or location data. It all shows up in the trips and graphs tabs, but whenever I try to export it all I get is silence.
Anyone else having this problem?