Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Software Update Cancellation?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
Saw something unusual (to me) today. Background information:
  • 2021 (late 2020) Classic Model X LR
  • currently with 2023.27.12 software, and
    • FSD Beta v11.4.8.1
  • I use an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max (w/latest IOS 16 version) with
    • Tesla App version 4.28.0-2130
  • car is parked in front of my house (with its normal WiFi access)
When I woke up, my iPhone had a banner-notification on the opening screen that a new Tesla software update was available. Great. I figured it was the Holiday Update--a 2023.44.30._ update?

But when I activated the notification to start the download from the Tesla App, there was no message on the main App screen that an update was available (as there normally would be) and nothing under "Upgrades." (And the iPhone banner notification is now gone.) So I do not have an update waiting, apparently.

What could this mean? Was the update pulled (before I could download it)? Maybe Tesla found some bugs and halted downloads (for whatever version I was getting)? Perhaps the intended software version doesn't work well with the older "classic" Model X?

Or perhaps there is a problem with the Tesla App and/or my phone?

Anyone else experience this? I have never before seen an update cancelled (if that is what it was) once it was announced on my phone.

Just curious. (Not angry or anxious. I am sure it will get straightened out in the coming days as Tesla attempts to bring previous Production-Build and FSD-Beta Test vehicles back together under the same software. Hats off to Tesla software engineers for all the work they are doing.)

Last edited:
I've had something similar happen a couple of times - my phone app showed software download in progress, but the car showed nothing. Nothing I tried would clear it, but it eventually resolved its self - either the phone stopped showing a download, or the car did start doing a download - I forget exactly what happened. I don't know why. (This is a 2022 Model Y)

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
What does the car touchscreen show?

Yes, good point. I will check today. (I didn't need to use it over the weekend, and it being under its Tesla car cover and with it raining* I was too lazy to check.)

For what it is worth, the Tesla phone App still shows no pending update, and I assume that the car will show the same (i.e., "your car is up-to-date as of blah, blah..."). But we'll see.

What I assume is that for whatever reason the update I was originally going to get was deemed "wrong" for my (older) model version. Maybe other classic Models X or S started having issues?

Or maybe I was going to get 2023.44.30.1 and then the 2023.44.30.2 version started coming out and I am back in the queue?

As discussed elsewhere (e.g., see here and here), there are multiple issues involved in Tesla software updates that affect particular models, model versions, world regions, various internal computer hardware versions, et cetera, et cetera. While I am sympathetic for the incredible complexity that Tesla software engineers face, I also feel that Tesla could do itself a big favor with better communication to customers (e.g., about software upgrades). But in this case I am happy to be patient. I'm sure I will eventually get the right Holiday Upgrade for my car.
_____
* "I'm dreaming of a wet <El Niño> Christmas. Just like the ones I used to know..."

Reactions: aerodyne
Saw something unusual (to me) today. Background information:
  • 2021 (late 2020) Classic Model X LR
  • currently with 2023.27.12 software, and
    • FSD Beta v11.4.8.1
  • I use an Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max (w/latest IOS 16 version) with
    • Tesla App version 4.28.0-2130
  • car is parked in front of my house (with its normal WiFi access)
When I woke up, my iPhone had a banner-notification on the opening screen that a new Tesla software update was available. Great. I figured it was the Holiday Update--a 2023.44.30._ update?

But when I activated the notification to start the download from the Tesla App, there was no message on the main App screen that an update was available (as there normally would be) and nothing under "Upgrades." (And the iPhone banner notification is now gone.) So I do not have an update waiting, apparently.

What could this mean? Was the update pulled (before I could download it)? Maybe Tesla found some bugs and halted downloads (for whatever version I was getting)? Perhaps the intended software version doesn't work well with the older "classic" Model X?

Or perhaps there is a problem with the Tesla App and/or my phone?

Anyone else experience this? I have never before seen an update cancelled (if that is what it was) once it was announced on my phone.

Just curious. (Not angry or anxious. I am sure it will get straightened out in the coming days as Tesla attempts to bring previous Production-Build and FSD-Beta Test vehicles back together under the same software. Hats off to Tesla software engineers for all the work thy are doing.)

Pretty much mirror experience to the above:
  • Late 2020 (Nov) Classic Model X Performance
  • currently with 2023.27.12 and FSD Beta 11.4.8.1
  • iPhone 15 Pro Max (latest iOS 17) w/Tesla App version 4.28.0-2130
Saw an available software banner notification in the app early Sunday morning, but did not initiate the update. Do recall still seeing the notification at least once more later that day still within the app, but when I was ready to start the update later that evening - the banner notification was gone and has not reappeared since.

Checking within the car itself and it continues to show that no updates are available (Software Update Preference set to "Advanced").

• Informative
Reactions: tps5352
Pretty much mirror experience to the above: ...

Hmm. Tesla must have discovered that the proposed update (e.g., 2023.44.30.1 or 2023.44.30.2) had problems. Maybe it reacted poorly with the "classic" Models X or S? So I speculate that you and I, and others, were saved from the inconvenience of a "buggy" version.

I notice that Tesla is already pushing 2023.44.30.4, So that would tend to confirm likely problems with the early 2023.44.30._ versions.

The way I look at it, thank you Tesla for NOT putting something in my car that has potentially significant bugs. Happy to wait for a more-or-less relatively bug-free version.*

I am sure Tesla staff are trying mightily to release a working holiday update in a timely manner (i.e., before Christmas). But good for them for delaying or cancelling updates that are not up to snuff.
_____
* Some of our more clever, musically-inclined readers should come up with modified "Twelve Days of Christmas" (or other holiday song) lyrics for Tesla-related items (popular parts and accessories). OR (ha, ha) you could have the anxious person waiting each of the 12 days for a much-anticipated software update that never comes.

The Twelve Days of an Elon Christmas

On the first day of Christmas,
I tried not to shows my tears.
Yet no update ever appears.

On the second day of Christmas,
I waited patiently,
Even though I had to pee.
Yet no update was there to see...

Blah, blah...

Saw something unusual (to me) today. ... I am sure it will get straightened out in the coming days ...

Received a new update today--2023.44.30.4 with FSD Beta v.11.4.9. We'll see how this version works.

Looking forward to FSD 12. (When will that come?)

Meanwhile I see that Waymo (a.k.a. Alphabet Inc./Google) has driver-less cars running around San Francisco. When is FSD going to drive me to my supermarket?

I'm storing my car soon for winter, premium ended the day before and the upgrade option vanished on the next day. Never did I question myself if it could be related to the premium cancellation ;) and glad that it's not the case.

Unless @Tesla delivers my Xmas gift, the count just dropped to 0 gift 😢

Someone from @Tesla must have read my last message... currently downloading 2023.44.30.5.1 {no typo here}. Release notes says... "Minor Fixes", I guess this mean my car won't suddenly accelerate for the next 24 hours :p

I just got an alert on my phone that another new update is available--2023.44.30.6. Another bug fix, I assume. So in summary, in the last six days I've received three software update alerts (and been able to download 2 of those).

Once the smoke clears (in January 2024) it will be interesting to see how many software versions will be left out there.