Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After a recent software upgrade my voice command button no longer works. All other buttons on the steering wheel still work as expected. What's even stranger, the voice command is engaged if I press the horn!! Sounds like something is mixed up. I thought another software upgrade would fix it, but I've received another upgrade and I still have the same issue. I tried rebooting several times to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks. I assumed software because all other buttons work. Does each button have a separate controller? Also, since pressing the horn now activates the voice command functionality seemed software related. I didn't mention, but it's 2018 model S software version 11.1(2023.6.11). Maybe I'll put in a service request.

After a recent software upgrade my voice command button no longer works. All other buttons on the steering wheel still work as expected. What's even stranger, the voice command is engaged if I press the horn!! Sounds like something is mixed up. I thought another software upgrade would fix it, but I've received another upgrade and I still have the same issue. I tried rebooting several times to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Same issue. My button acts like it's listening then says "connection error". Is that what yours did?

I just bought a used 2019 model x LR and when i got it home realized that voice command button has same issue. Mobile tech came out today and said the fix is a full replacement of the airbag module. So ill be setting up another appointment for that if its covered by the warranty - if not i suspect ill just have yo live without voice commands 🤷‍♂️

I am having this same exact problem out of the blue recently as well. 2018 model S, software version 11.1. When I press the horn, voice command activates. But the voice command button does nothing.

Car is out of warranty. How much did they charge you to replace the button?

I also find it hard to believe it’s hardware but I guess it is based one what y’all are saying.

I am having this same exact problem out of the blue recently as well. 2018 model S, software version 11.1. When I press the horn, voice command activates. But the voice command button does nothing.

Car is out of warranty. How much did they charge you to replace the button?

I also find it hard to believe it’s hardware but I guess it is based one what y’all are saying.
Where you able to figure it out?

My 2018 MS is having the same issue with the voice command button not working. Display says, "Microphone is initializing. Try again." It happened around the holidays after a software update and I thought that it may be fixed when the next update pushed through... but that is not the case. Both reboot and a power down did not fix it. Software version 2023.44.30.14.

Car is out of warranty. Can anyone share how much it cost to get this repaired/replaced?

Reactions: jacie6056