Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voice command not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same problem with 2022 Model 3 (SW update 2023.2.12). Any user solutions?
I have had this "initializing microphone" error note but the button has been working. But, now after the latest 2024.8.4 update it stopped working. I also have had some distortion from the microphone, which can be heard if I record anything in the car or answer the phone.

Also, pressing the horn will activate the voice commands.

Like someone else said, it feels weird that this is a hardware issue. I also would like to hear what was the cost to fix it.

Driving Model S LR Raven.

Reactions: jacie6056
Hi!
2 weeks ago noticed on my MS 2018, that voice command button not working, same common problem - opening driver door and pressing horn activates voice command, but not the right button. Took out airbag module, checked both buttons modules and wires that goes from right to left module. Voice commad switch was in perfect shape and worked well. This voice command switch connects to the eart(negative), when you press it. The other end goes from right buttons module to left and connects straight to STM32F microcontroller. So the problem must be software!? Many people telling, that they think that problem started after software update - now I think, it's very possible. Found today exploded airbag module with buttons set, replaced my LEFT buttons module, and voila - voice command button is working again! I hope, the future software updates don't kill it again! :)
Long story short - hope that information helps somebody!

3.jpg4.jpg

My 2018 MS is having the same issue with the voice command button not working. Display says, "Microphone is initializing. Try again." It happened around the holidays after a software update and I thought that it may be fixed when the next update pushed through... but that is not the case. Both reboot and a power down did not fix it. Software version 2023.44.30.14.

Car is out of warranty. Can anyone share how much it cost to get this repaired/replaced?
I have had the exact same issues on my 2019 model S since December. Finally opened a Service Request a few days ago. Tesla quoted me $600 for a ranger to come out and fix it. I refused to approve and then Tesla lowered it to $330. One side of me was still telling me to decline but I reluctantly approved. Mobile ranger coming out tomorrow to fix it. Really poor quality control. Now I seriously considering not replacing this S to a newer one and instead go back to Merc.

I have had the exact same issues on my 2019 model S since December. Finally opened a Service Request a few days ago. Tesla quoted me $600 for a ranger to come out and fix it. I refused to approve and then Tesla lowered it to $330. One side of me was still telling me to decline but I reluctantly approved. Mobile ranger coming out tomorrow to fix it. Really poor quality control. Now I seriously considering not replacing this S to a newer one and instead go back to Merc.
Really think it's a Software issue, not hardware. If that's the case they shouldn't charge you as there will be nothing to fix. We had the same issue pop up after an update, button doesn't work and strangely the driver's door sometimes doesn't open correctly from outside press. Also noticed a microphone warning of some kind pops up on screen during startup but isn't available in the recent error listing. Will be interested to hear an update from you once the Ranger is done. Thanks.