Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Voiding battery warranty [can I charge to 100% all the time no matter what]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will continual charging to 100%daily vs 80%, as per manual, of total capacity void the battery warranty made by Tesla?

There is no "80% per manual". No where at all in any tesla manual does it specify a percentage to charge to. if you have a Long Range / AWD model 3, there is a "daily" between 50-90% and a "Trips" over 90%/. The car will warn you not to charge all the time in the trips meter. If you have a new LFP Standard range, supposedly you can charge to 100% (I dont have one of these so am not following it).

In neither case does it "void the warranty", its just not good for the non LFP battery so you shouldnt do it.

• Love
Reactions: Rocky_H
If i continue to do what is “bad” for the battery, should I expect to get a new battery under warranty before 100k/8yr.

Prolonging the ownership and use of the car, given that the structural integrity of the car itself does not degrade?

No. Nor should you. The warranty covers defects, not willful neglect.

That said, charging to 100% every day would cause some capacity loss, but not enough to trigger a battery replacement (30% loss is the threshold.)

I know of a Model S which operates as an airport taxi. Charges to 100% on a Supercharger every time. It has 150,000 miles on the clock and battery degredation is approx. 10%.
I charge my Model 3 to 100% regularly on Superchargers. According to TeslaFi my range is slightly batter than the fleet average range.

There is a lot of FUD around regarding charging to 100%. It's not as bad as a lot seem to think, but there's no point charging to 100% every time unless you really need to. Your regen will be affected for starters.

Reactions: FOOLSLFDRVNG
I know of a Model S which operates as an airport taxi. Charges to 100% on a Supercharger every time. It has 150,000 miles on the clock and battery degredation is approx. 10%.
I charge my Model 3 to 100% regularly on Superchargers. According to TeslaFi my range is slightly batter than the fleet average range.

There is a lot of FUD around regarding charging to 100%. It's not as bad as a lot seem to think, but there's no point charging to 100% every time unless you really need to. Your regen will be affected for starters.

ive been saying this for a while. theres lots of factors affecting degradation but the most is probably the battery lottery followed by ambient storage temperature.

Status
Not open for further replies.