Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volkswagen releasing 40 new EVs and hybrids!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If existing entries like the Touareg and Jetta hybrid are good indications of direction, they will still take a back seat to their TDI line in terms of efficiency (most likely purposefully by adding extra ICE performance most hybrid buyers don't care about). Plus they probably require premium fuel.

EPA mpg ratings are much higher for the new Jetta gasoline hybrid than for the Jetta TDI Diesel automatic.

GSP

Sounds like a good start, but it will take a while until they are comparable to Teslas (if at all ;)). Most of the 2014's will probably be Prius-like hybrids, and perhaps one, two or three that might be comparable to the Leaf or the Volt. Although there doesn't really seem to be much indication that VW has done as much research & development as Nissan and GM had done at the time.

BMW spent billions on the i3 from the ground up and look at what a dismal car that is. I'm not worried about this competing with Tesla at all. Another retrofit compliance city car with 80 miles range, no thanks we have plenty of those already.

From the original article:
the plug-in hybrid had the greatest market potential.
This gives the main part of their EV/hybrid play. Plug-in hybrids mainly, to get really good emissions ratings ala the Volt and relatively easy to build on existing platforms by putting batteries in the trunk space.

So what, after 20 years of auto makers flooding the market with these hybrids, they'll finally decide it's time for EVs? When they could have just sat down, studied realllllly hard, done their homework, and made an EV instead. So how did we get from the forest to the city as humans again? It's crazy to think we have all this technology at this point in time, yet because of politics and greed we are not able to advance as fast as we could....

From the VW press release:

Initially, a total of 14 models from several Group brands will be available with electric or hybrid drive technology by 2014. If there is sufficient demand, up to 40 new models could be fitted with alternative drivetrains. Winterkorn underscored that Volkswagen had placed electric mobility "at the center of the Group"

In other words: "If we sell enough e-ups and e-Golfs, we will consider making an Audi A8 EV." It will be a long time before VW group has a competitor for Model S in the dealerships.

From the VW press release:

In other words: "If we sell enough e-ups and e-Golfs, we will consider making an Audi A8 EV." It will be a long time before VW group has a competitor for Model S in the dealerships.

There are two things that we must separate here.

1) There is no competition for the Tesla Model S, and that is not going to happen in the coming years, maybe not even before 2020. Let that be clear to all.

2) The fact that more EV models are coming to the market is a good thing on its own, as the customer gets a broader selection of EV's to choose from. And this has got nothing to do with the question if these new EV models can compete with the Tesla Model S or not. The point is that when more EV models are being offered to the people, then more people will choose to buy an EV (instead an ICE). The market share of EV's needs to rise in order to make EV's a successful option in order to "Accelerate the Advent of Sustainable Transport". Because that's the goal of Tesla Motors, according to Elon Musk.

I'm just getting tired of all the EVs having basically the same range specs, does no one think to compete on range? There're the 80 mile range EVs, the RAV4 EV, and the Model S, that's it, it's depressing.
I think we're due for a meme.

ok8q6.jpg

Using existing vehicles is the ultimate compromise. These guys just don't get it.

The word "fitted" jumped out at me. The Model S like the EV1 was built from the ground up with the best technology available on every level and that these must work in a synergistic fashion.
Any attempts to anything less will be an inferior vehicle. It's surely why Infiniti, Audi and others have gone back to the drawing board after seeing the MS.

There are two things that we must separate here.

1) There is no competition for the Tesla Model S, and that is not going to happen in the coming years, maybe not even before 2020. Let that be clear to all.

Plus, I think most car companies (VW included) are not even interested in building a car that can compete with Model S. They are more interested in selling cars in large numbers - millions that is, not thousands. I mean, the VW Group sells more cars each day than Tesla sells in a whole year.
That is not to say I think that kind of thinking is good.

But take the coming E-Golf for example. I obviously haven't test-driven one yet, but will do so as soon as one becomes available. And at least for my driving needs (and that of millions of others worldwide), a car of that range, performance, size - and price, that just happens to be an EV is all they need. Not everyone needs a 70-120K Euro 300 mile EV the size of an S-Class, no matter how great it is. (And after my test-drive, I know the Model S is the greatest EV currently available).

Design News - Volkswagen Takes a Deep Dive Into Electrics

Volkswagen’s introduction of two new electric cars is a legitimate step toward electrification for the giant automaker, and not just an effort to comply with government mandates, experts said this week.

”They’re serious,” Thilo Koslowski, vice president and distinguished analyst for Gartner Inc., told Design News. “Volkswagen has invested a lot of time and resources into exploring electric powertrains. They realize that going forward, electric vehicles will have to become part of their portfolio.”

Volkswagen announced last week that it plans to roll out the e-Golf and e-up! cars during the next 16 months. The e-Golf, an electric version of the company’s popular compact hatchback, will be introduced in Europe early in 2014 and in the US in 2015. The sub-compact e-up! will be available this year, and will be sold only in Europe.

Described as a potential competitor to the Nissan Leaf, the e-Golf will employ a 24.2-kWh lithium-ion battery, offering an all-electric range of about 190 km (about 118 miles). Maximum torque will be 270 N-m, and its 0-100 km/h time will top out at 10.4 seconds. All told, the vehicle will weigh about 3,300 lbs, with approximately 700 of that in the battery. Recharging will take about 13 hours, or eight hours with an optional charging station for the customer’s garage.

The smaller e-up! will feature an 18.7-kWh lithium-ion battery with an all-electric range that’s said to be “between 120 and 160 km.” Torque will top out at 210 N-m and e-up!’s 0-100 km/h time will be 13.2 seconds. Volkswagen said the e-up!’s battery “cells are particularly resistant to heat and cold, meaning that no separate battery cooling or heating is required.” The four-door city car will be available this October.

Koslowski said, however, that Volkswagen’s effort appears to be more than a so-called compliance program. ”This is certainly not going to get us to mass adoption of electric vehicles, because EV appeal for the consumer is still too limited,” he told us. “But it’s a first step.”

Plus, I think most car companies (VW included) are not even interested in building a car that can compete with Model S. They are more interested in selling cars in large numbers - millions that is, not thousands. I mean, the VW Group sells more cars each day than Tesla sells in a whole year.
That is not to say I think that kind of thinking is good.

The Model S has outsold the M5 in the US year to date, I don't think BMW is cancelling that car anytime soon. Same with the A8, and the Porsche Panamera.