Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volt calendar life?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM is expecting each and every Volt will need a new battery pack while it is under warrenty.

The above is actually the sensationalist, edited quote from AutoblogGreen.

The true quote from the source is this.

"Longevity is the unanswered question," Lutz allowed, but he added that simulations have left him optimistic that a lithium-ion battery’s life expectancy will be competitive with nickel-metal hydride, the current standard in hybrids. As a backup, he said, "We're being conservative on battery life. For our cost calculations we're assuming each car will need a replacement during the warranty period."

Thanks for the clarification. It's also important to note that according to information so far released over at gm-volt.com the pack will have a smaller use window than the Roadster. only ever being charged to around 80% of capacity and only ever discharged down to 30% of cap. before the range extender kicks in to maintain that lower charge level. According to what I understand about Li-Ion this should allow the pack a longer usable life. I'm not sure if it will effect calender life. Although with a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty it's kind of a moot point, other than it may increase the cost of the initial models until they have enough long term data.

My guess is that GM expects the packs to last 10 years and still have around 40 miles electric range (80% of original performance is what I seem to remeber so 32 miles), but since they want to get the car on the market ASAP they are covering there butts as far as the accounting is concerned.

Last edited:
I sent ABG an email saying that they incorrectly reported what Lutz said.

However, it is actually us who made a very stupid mistake. Sebastian Blanco, who wrote the post, pointed out to me what he actually wrote.

"in their cost projections, GM is expecting each and every Volt will need a new battery pack while it is under warranty."

Sorry. ABG is still awesome.

Green Car Congress: Webchat with EPRIs Mark Duvall and GMs Britta Gross on Electric Infrastructure at 4pm EDT

4:12
[Comment From Philipp Andres ]
What is the estimated lithium-ion battery life for the Chevy Volt and have you finalized your selection of battery vendors or are you developing those batteries internally?
4:13
Britta Gross: Our testing requirements are 10 years and 150,000 miles. LG Chem is supplying battery cells for Gen 1 Volt and we are assembling the battery packs ourselves in Michigan.