TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Volt calendar life?

Discussion in 'Battery Discussion' started by malcolm, Sep 3, 2008.

1. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Lutz says Volt's batteries are "flawless" - AutoblogGreen

No details:-

GM is expecting each and every Volt will need a new battery pack while it is under warrenty.

Which only goes to prove (if we needed telling) that battery chemistry still isn't where it should be for auto applications.

Will be interesting to compare this with Model S, which I hope will include some sort of Performance/Economode switch.

2. donauker

donauker Member

The above is actually the sensationalist, edited quote from AutoblogGreen.

The true quote from the source is this.

3. paco3791

paco3791 TMC OG

#3 paco3791, Sep 3, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
    Thanks for the clarification. It's also important to note that according to information so far released over at gm-volt.com the pack will have a smaller use window than the Roadster. only ever being charged to around 80% of capacity and only ever discharged down to 30% of cap. before the range extender kicks in to maintain that lower charge level. According to what I understand about Li-Ion this should allow the pack a longer usable life. I'm not sure if it will effect calender life. Although with a 10 year 150,000 mile warranty it's kind of a moot point, other than it may increase the cost of the initial models until they have enough long term data.

My guess is that GM expects the packs to last 10 years and still have around 40 miles electric range (80% of original performance is what I seem to remeber so 32 miles), but since they want to get the car on the market ASAP they are covering there butts as far as the accounting is concerned.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Remember, the way the Volt uses it's battery is different than the way the Roadster does.

5. Joseph

Joseph Member

I'm surprised ABG distorted what Lutz said.:frown:

ABG is usually pretty good.

6. Joseph

Joseph Member

I sent ABG an email saying that they incorrectly reported what Lutz said.

However, it is actually us who made a very stupid mistake. Sebastian Blanco, who wrote the post, pointed out to me what he actually wrote.

"in their cost projections, GM is expecting each and every Volt will need a new battery pack while it is under warranty."

Sorry. ABG is still awesome.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

NPR Electric Cars Make Progress With New Batteries

Electric Cars Make Progress With New Batteries : NPR

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

9. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Green Car Congress: Webchat with EPRIs Mark Duvall and GMs Britta Gross on Electric Infrastructure at 4pm EDT