Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volume Turning Itself Down at Certain Levels iPhone Spotify App via Bluetooth to Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all, hoping someone out there can steer me in the right direction to solve this minor annoying issue. Maybe there is some setting I need to change in my audio path to correct this issue. Here is a video of what is happening and more information below.

Model Y Bluetooth IPhone Spotify Issue

I took delivery of MY about 3 weeks ago. I absolutely love the car and have no fit, finish, or performance issues whatsoever. The only issue I am having is with the car audio volume levels in certain scenarios. My preferred audio path is using the spotify app on my iphone streaming bluetooth to the Tesla. In the music section I am connected to phone. My issue is that the volume will turn itself down at certain levels. Specifically at the approximate 60-85% max volume range. Example - say I am at 60% max volume (which I call set point because this is where it automatically turns itself down to) if I bump it up to approx 75% max volume it immediately reverts back to that set point of 60%. Same thing happens if I go a notch or two higher or lower (65% or 80% etc). The weird thing is that doesn't happen once I take it up to 90-100% max volume it will stay there. In my example video I show this at the end how it won't turn down if I turn it up to 90%+. Once its passed approx 90% max volume it will stay there and not turn itself back down to 60%. I prefer my music in the 75%-80% max volume range. 90%+ is blaring and somewhat distorting and the set point of 60% is just a little too low for my taste. Hopefully you see all of this in the video. I am only turning the volume up on the scroll wheel yet it keeps turning down.

I am on the newest Tesla software version of 2021.4.3 568eaf33670d. Latest iphone software of 14.4. Newest iphone IOS allows you to choose device type for Bluetooth devices which I've enabled CAR STEREO. I have searched through all the major Tesla forums and tried all suggestions in previous threads but I am still having this issue. Tonight I tried using the built in Spotify App through Tesla and this problem wasn't occuring. I will play more with that after work to confirm that this is only happening in Iphone Spotify app. This leads me to believe that this is an iPhone/Spotify app issue not the Tesla UI. I have gone through all settings in the Spotify iphone App and iphone settings and I don't have any volume limits set or anything like that. I have a mobile service appointment set up for next week but would like to solve this before then and not waste the service teams time.

Separate question if I use the built in Spotify App on the Tesla infotainment center is it streaming from LTE or using the songs I have saved on my phone's harddrive. When I use the built in Spotify Tesla App and have the Spotify App open on my phone the current track is playing with the correct time in the track. I ask this because have all of my playlists downloaded to my phone in "Very High Quality" Bitrates for best sound quality. I would much rather prefer to play music at the highest quality bitrate. It's kind of hard to tell by switching back in forth between the two. If anyone knows for sure that would be highly appreciated information.

Thank you all for reading and for any help or suggestions you might suggest.

Could it have something to do with the "Headphone Safety" feature in iPhone's 'Sounds and Haptics' settings? I've noticed that when listening to music on my iPhone, it will turn the music down automatically when it reaches a high volume. After I turned this setting off it stopped doing this.

Good luck!

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
I have this exact same problem and it’s maddening, because the range where it turns itself down is exactly where I like it—so I always end up playing my music louder than I actually want. I had the issue both with my 2019 Model 3 and with my brand new Y, through several different iPhones and software versions. If you find a solution, please report back, I’d love to know what the fix is.

I am having a similar issue while streaming audible in my Y. The volume will be fine when I start driving and a few minutes later the volume drops drastically. The indicated volume on the screen is the same, and if I turn the volume up it will get a little louder. About 5-15 secs later the audio will go back to "normal" volume.

Is this the same as the radio when it lowers the volume at red lights/stops? and then when you drive again it goes back to regular volume?

If so, this has been happening for a while. It's annoying but I think they are trying to modulate the volume as ambient noise fluctuates.

Is this the same as the radio when it lowers the volume at red lights/stops? and then when you drive again it goes back to regular volume?

If so, this has been happening for a while. It's annoying but I think they are trying to modulate the volume as ambient noise fluctuates.
For me it is more like the audio level drops as if I had opened up my door. Sometimes if I pause for a few seconds and replay it will go back to is regular level in a few seconds. If I just leave it alone, it can take 15 - 20 seconds before it goes back to normal. I have been listening to audio books daily since November, and this only started happening about 4 - 6 weeks ago.

Oh, if any of you have Apple Watches, sometimes the volume goes down due to the crown rubbing on something. It’s been happening to me a lot more recently and I am always wondering why the volume is decreasing. Turns out that the watch unlocked and decreased the volume for me when the crown rubbed.

I have this problem too when streaming over BT. My problem occurs in about the same spot everyday when I’m driving to work. I think it’s another app like my Ring app sending an alert which causes the volume to drop - the iPhone is “listening” for a response.

I have this problem too when streaming over BT. My problem occurs in about the same spot everyday when I’m driving to work. I think it’s another app like my Ring app sending an alert which causes the volume to drop - the iPhone is “listening” for a response.
Hmm, you could be onto something. I believe it happens around the same time/area after I leave my home.