Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volunteering to Help with Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh that’s crazy. I’ve bought cars from 7-8 states over the years and always just pay my state sales tax when I title the vehicle, but if California has some wierd tax even for out of state buyers :/
Yes, Cali really has no exemption for out of state buyers. TOTALLY NUTS. I tried to come down from the great white norteast and even emailed CA sales tax people to confirm. We would have flown in, had meals and hotels in the state, hung around for a bit, nope. Has to be shipped out by company to be exempt. I've done same in 2 other states previously bringing cars back to Canada and gone through import process with no problems. California doesn't want my money, so Tesla will be delivering to my home 5000km away.

Yes.. there USED to be an arrangement between CA and some neighbor states like OR/NV and maybe WA (even though it's a state removed. You could pay some tax, but only up to your actual registration states amount and get a 30 day registration for CA for a fee and drive the car out. I think that ended a few years back.

Getting something like a European Delivery probably won't ever be possible due the financial mechanics of those programs.

Historically, most programs from Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, one could easily get a 7-9% discount off USA retail pricing and pickup the car abroad. (It was negotiable, so could be greater).

One got a factory tour, usually a hotel room for a night near the factory, and had the car to drive around Europe for a while.

The trick was, you HAD to drive the car around. The way the math worked for the domestic USA importer was the the car being imported in the end was actually USED and didn't have to be imported as a full value NEW value (of course the manufacturer importer never imported cars as a new RETAIL price, but it was higher than the depreciated value of the "used" car. You had to drive something like at least 250 miles before dropping the car off at the port or drop off location.

If you think about, their costs of shipping, transporting and delivering the car to you were basically the same, the VARIABLE was the reduced import price and thereby taxes and tariffs to be paid were less.

Also, for the most part the ED programs (okay, that's not a really good acronym to use for this I guess) were technically sold and facilitate by the domestic importer, NOT the dealer. The dealer didn't get the oppty to get the difference between what they paid the domestic imported and what they could sell the car for. They got something, guaranteed, but they could possibly get more by selling you a car on the lot-ever if the price you paid on the lot was the same.

Its still a fun program and I've done it many times, but I think today in our WANT IT NOW society nobody wants to wait.

CA is a hard place to buy a car and take it home. One pays a lot of sales tax just for the luxury of getting it there. I think Tesla could work something out with the state to allow this and not tax out of state owners but it isn’t in place yet.

There was a bill a year or so back so people could come to California to pick up their car, but it was killed by some legislators who saw it as a tax break for rich people. It would have brought tourism money to the state, but they didn't care.

@wdolson - crazy about tourism loss.

Probably a bit of a stretch, always run tesla semis round trip to Reno if Nevada has softer tax laws for out of state buyers and still offer something to pickup there and easy the shipping logistics issue going East, but not the same as hitting San Fran and Fremont tour etc.

Reactions: NoBeard
I am assuming by Volunteer they mean, to move or pick up hours in the delivery center, not to work for free delivering cars. I worked at Apple for years and they did that all the time. Tons of people ALWAYS wanted more hours so they would do the event. They seemed to like the opportunity, not hate that they are being MADE to work more. And I was never made to feel guilty for NOT volunteering. I am sure it's the same.

When I was volunteering 6 months ago as an owner I ran into the people who delivered my car. I ask how much crazier the end of the quarter was and they said they don't work in deliveries except at the end of each quarter, they were in Solar the rest of the time. Wow!

-Randy

When I was volunteering 6 months ago as an owner I ran into the people who delivered my car. I ask how much crazier the end of the quarter was and they said they don't work in deliveries except at the end of each quarter, they were in Solar the rest of the time.

glad to see these guys are completely qualified to hand you the keys and tell you to go to the website to figure out the car. guess they weren't that busy in 2018 installing those twelve solar roofs.

They installed TONS of solar, you are referring to making solar tile roofs, just because that is behind doesn't mean the Solar division hasn't been hopping in 2018. Surely you got a call from them asking if they can help you with installing solar now that you have a Tesla. It was still Winter when my friends Power Wall was already getting filled every day. Every solar dollar that goes back to the grid is ~one more dollar he can put in his Model 3. Quite enjoyed watching that solar install go up.

-Randy