Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Volunteering to Help with Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Per Elon's tweet:

rouVgR+

I dropped by the Fremont Delivery Center Saturday morning to help.

At first there was a little awkwardness as they figured out how to use volunteers, but by the time I left they had it down pretty well. "John, can you help the couple over in spot 22?"

There were Model S, X, and 3 owners there to help. Not sure how many; I'd guess 10-20. But it's hard to count in the crowd. They gave us red "Guest" badges, and that helped staff find us when they needed us.

At lunch time, one of them grabbed me and said, "Hey, we have pizza in the back. Hungry?"

People were universally grateful for the help. I helped people while they sat at their paperwork table (not while doing paperwork), around the Model 3 static display, in my car that I had parked in the lot, and in their own cars. I probably helped about a dozen families in the time that I was there. The staff gets feedback on how you do, and once they hear good things and trust you they work you.

Owners don't work for the company, they aren't selling anything, and they have extended day-to-day experience with the car. If you are a friendly, helpful sort you can do a lot of good for people in a stressful time. Sometimes it's just giving them something to do during a long wait. In any event, I felt appreciated.

There were easily that many. Just too many names, a lot of shaking hands, meeting employees and other owners like us. And, of course, the customers getting their cars.

It was perfect weather, fun to talk Tesla all day w/o the headache of having to crank thru all the new owners. I felt bad for the employees being pulled in many directions, it was nice to be able to help. If you are near your delivery center I recommend lending a hand. The Tesla employees were VERY happy to see us, though not entirely guided on how to deal with us. I think I sold a few people on EAP for their new car that hadn't thought it was worth the money before I regaled them with tales from the road.

Ryan from Ride the Lightning pointed out as I was leaving that this isn't the last weekend in the quarter, that's NEXT weekend, so I may be back again next Saturday if anyone wants to do it all again with me next week.

-Randy

Our local Vegas Tesla group talked with the Vegas SC manager about assisting. As of this time, they say they have deliveries under control and do not require our assistance. I guess that’s good, but a bunch of us were looking to help.

Apparently they had a few yesterday in Marina Del Rey. I showed up this morning as the first volunteer in Marina Del Rey so they already knew how to utilize me and the other volunteers that showed up other. By about 3pm there were 5 of us. They were super appreciative of our efforts and happily used us to give orientations. Pretty cool if you ask my opinion.

Reactions: Buster1
Wow! They said Stand Down? What's the problem? Is the building too small to hold another 5 people?? I mostly was outside where people were waiting after checking in and they appreciated the company and opportunity to ask questions. Some have never actually spoken to a Tesla owner.

-Randy

Just came back from the Fremont Delivery Center picking up our Model 3. We were grateful for the help Jason (Tesla Guest Volunteer) gave us getting our phone charging cabling all set. Thanks again Jason if you are reading!

At first when I read the Tweet when Elon accepted the offer and told volunteers to come on down, I wondered what that was going to be like. It was nice!! The place was packed and the Tesla reps were so busy so it was nice to get immediate help or questions answered by current owners without taking away from time from the Tesla personnel who were working to get as many new owners cars processed. Love our Tesla Community.

Reactions: GenSao and Ormond
Don't know. @stephenpace posted that the SC said "stand down until we can figure it out." on the Facebook page for the Tesla Club of Greater Houston. Hopefully they'll have it figured out for next weekend.

I have a feeling word will get around and Houston may accept help next weekend. Anyone's initial thoughts would tend towards, "There's lots of ways this could go wrong..." but at Fremont it took only about a half hour before it began clicking with the service staff. They saw us happily helping families (and not being wierdos, cuz lets face it—it's a not a typical thing to volunteer to do), and they say families happy for someone to chat with that wasn't a company spokesman, and was standing where they were before.

It also takes a while to sink in that:
a) It's optional to customers whether they want to chat
b) Some people are VERY happy to get some friendly hand-holding and reassurance

Elon's tweet and probably communications about how the experiences at Fremont and other locations will probably circulate out this week.

BTW when we went to check in at the front desk in Fremont, the lady there explained what the procedure would be, where to meet our DA to start looking at the car and doing paperwork, and explained they have volunteer Tesla owners with Guest badges on (showed us one) and said they were also there to help answer any user questions from an owner standpoint that we might have. Told her I had seen this mentioned last night online. All very professionally handled. While being MS owners I didn't think we'd need help, but as I mentioned we did and it got us out of there and on the road quicker. Can you imagine any other car manufacturer getting this kind of response in sales or owners willing to come in and spend a few hours helping answer new owners questions about actually using their car?

Fremont volunteers -
I was a volunteer for Saturday and Sunday. We are not needed again until Thursday 10 AM or 5 PM and again on Friday at the same times. Definitely needed again this weekend all day Saturday and Sunday.

The weekend was really fun explaining everything from how all the screens work to how to plan a trip with stops coordinated with charging.

Most surprising was an elderly gentleman that had traded in an old Datsun and had trouble believing he would never put gas in his Model 3. He took 2 hours of my time, but by far the most rewarding customer I helped.

If anyone wants to PM or just post details of where volunteers might be needed in SoCal this weekend, let me know

Enthusiastic MS owner & shareholder ready to help.

From what I was told by the Delivery Manager, Marina Del Rey is the busiest center in SoCal. That being said, anyone who is part of the TeslaClubLA received an email saying that both Marina Del Rey and Burbank have indicated they can use help this weekend.

As for today, I was there from 1030-1630L, and two other volunteers were there for some of that time, and we were somewhat useful as it wasn’t as busy as they thought today. I did spend 2 hours with an older couple with a model 3 and they totally appreciated my assistance. Some of the others today were previous Tesla owners so not much I could help them with. Overall a fun experience chit chatting with new and old owners, volunteers, and the Tesla staff. I felt very welcomed and appreciated. I’ll probably go back this Saturday afternoon.