Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VTOL Supersonic aircraft

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This would seem the quickest to get started with electrification for larger long range planes. Hybrid

My personal opinion only:
1. combustion engines for take off (the highest power requirement, right?)
2. electric motor for cruise

[During landing probably start combustion engine for emergency go around if landing aborted]

Reminder that we already have start for all electric planes:
Harbour Air and magniX Announce Successful Flight of World’s First Commercial Electric Airplane – Harbour Air: North America's Largest Seaplane Airline – Since 1982
Short range only solution, 2020.

There are much more exciting electric planes in development, we have a large thread for electric planes in general here: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/electric-planes.1307/

What happened to that flying company in Washington that was converting all it's airplanes to electric Are they flying passengers yet
An internet search will offer many more shorter yet interesting articles.
For those that want official details:
https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/sites/defa...ectricAircraftWorkingGroupReport-June2019.pdf

Sadly, I'm afraid our State government will only hinder and not help. Of course governments can't seem to resist an opportunity for regulations and fees.

Last edited:
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1294803765367726080
Elon seems to think his "idea" is great. What could the idea be related to:

Possible
  • Powertrain, motor, position of fans, inlets, rotation of exhaust for landing etc.
  • High level concept - blended wing, shape of wing
  • Launch method - ground based slingshot?

Unlikely
  • Battery related
  • Autonomous although likely will be
  • Seat configuration although could be standing seats?

My first idea is that it will be a blended wing and the front fans will allow vertical landing without swivelling. However they will somehow do one or more of the following:
  • Create lift in flight
  • Reduce the sonic boom
In addition to allowing transition to / from hover.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
anyone have any ideas as to what we may expect a vtol 2-5 seater electric aircraft to cost? assuming of course that taxi services don't consume the entire production volume. I'm thinking the base components-electric motors, batteries, charge controllers etc are all basically the same as what you'd find in an ev albeit with more composites involved. If we're a few years away from a 100kwh car being able to be produced profitably for under 35k or so, could we see vtol electric aircraft around the 100k or less mark in 10, 15, 20 years?

I thought I would set this up as a starting position - to be picked up in 10 years...

1:16 in.

Key points:
VTOL
Supersonic
Re-gen
Very high altitude
High density batt required
Not required yet - I think Elon meant that the battery is not ready rather than the world being ready.

Questions:
Would this be Tesla building upon the battery tech, SpaceX or another company?
Suitable only for long range flight due to high altitude?
Competes with BFR? Non VTOL, short range and subsonic might be a tad simpler starting position.
Well they did it with rockets so I don't see why this would also be an option.