Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VW I.D. CROZZ concept

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

TEG

Teslafanatic
Aug 20, 2006
VOLKSWAGEN DEBUTS I.D. CROZZ CROSSOVER CONCEPT AT "AUTO SHANGHAI 2017" : Volkswagen Media Centre

107815913458f58c02a0ad5.jpg

Model Y competition...

VW group will have multiple large-battery BEVs out in 2018-2019, that much seems certain given their platform developents. Dismissing them would not IMO be wise.

That said, the 2017 lead is Tesla's to lose. They will not have major competition for a year, still.

Concept > Tweet

I disagree. Audi has a history of making concepts with little bearing with reality. And while I expect them to shop something at some point, I do not yet trust that they take BEVs seriously. Their use of the MEB platform, for instance, rather than a dedicated BEV platform demonstrates a lack of commitment. The specs are all extremely speculative since they don't yet have the battery chemistry. And the specs they do provide... about 220 miles of range with 83 kWh battery is underwhelming for a 2018.model, much less a 2020 model. And without a massive battery factory investment already underway, their ability to make any real quantities of this vehicle in 2019 is unlikely.

So Elon's tweet carries far more weight than this concept vehicle.

I disagree. Audi has a history of making concepts with little bearing with reality. And while I expect them to shop something at some point, I do not yet trust that they take BEVs seriously. Their use of the MEB platform, for instance, rather than a dedicated BEV platform demonstrates a lack of commitment. The specs are all extremely speculative since they don't yet have the battery chemistry. And the specs they do provide... about 220 miles of range with 83 kWh battery is underwhelming for a 2018.model, much less a 2020 model. And without a massive battery factory investment already underway, their ability to make any real quantities of this vehicle in 2019 is unlikely.

So Elon's tweet carries far more weight than this concept vehicle.

That is hardly true for Audi overall, though, no matter the missteps of their BEV strategy.

Nearly all legendary and major Audi models and platforms have been preceded by concept cars 1-2 years prior to launch.

As a long-time VW group follower, these concepts and wordings that go with them suggest to me they are on the serious track now. These are the calm before the storm they always go through.

These concepts show off group-wide volume BEV platforms. Not one-offs.

Now, beyond that, things like cost and batteries are certainly legitimate concerns that can still affect schedules and plans.

I think you are mistaking the MEB for the MQB (2012) platform. The MEB is a dedicated BEV platform. It is impossible to put a combustion engine in a MEB car.

And a VW battery plant is getting build in Sazgitter, Germany.

You are right, I mistook the modular part in the MEB. My understanding of Sazgitter as of November was that they were building a pilot cell plant there... that the ambitious plan discussed in May was on a bit of a hold.