TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Wait at Superchargers on thankgiving?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by HeartDocMD, Nov 23, 2015.

1. HeartDocMD

HeartDocMD Member

Hi all:
    Relatively new (and very happy) 85D owner. Planning to drive up from NC to DC area on Thanksgiving AM with family. Not having road tripped in Tesla before, what are the chances of lines/crowds at the superchargers during a busy holdiay travel day? Either going up on Thursday or coming back on Sunday AM? Relevant ones woudl be South Hill, VA and Richmond, VA.

2. bluetinc

bluetinc Member

Hey HeartDocMD,

Given the number of stalls at both South Hill and Richmond, (6 and 8 I believe), and their locations, I wouldn't expect there to be a wait or other issues at them. If by chance there is one, the turnover will be high, so you would be in quickly. The next two DC chargers at Potomac Mills, and Bethesda, will be a pain, Potomac Mills because of the holiday shoppers in the area grid-locking the area, and Bethesda both for holiday shoppers and because it only has two chargers.

Peter

3. murphyS85

murphyS85 Member

I stopped at Woodbridge, VA (Potomac Mills - just south of DC) twice last Thanksgiving. It has 8 stalls and I didn't see another car either time. This was on Wednesday morning and the following Monday morning.

4. sickfox

sickfox Member

Overall, I think you're good on off hours between 10pm - 5am. :wink:

5. m2140

m2140 Member

Keep an eye on plugshare check ins. Tesla owners are not as good as typical EV owners to check in when they charge but some do.

I also remember during my delivery being told that if you use the trip planner the cars talks to the supercharger network and plans your trip charging based on how busy the super chargers will be.

I've taken a couple of trips and the only time I had to wait was in silicone valley where there are more Teslas driving around. And even then I only had to wait 5 minutes.

6. Tree95

Tree95 Member

I believe you were told that but I do not believe it is true.

7. islandbayy

islandbayy Active Member

This is not yet true. Perhaps a future software update, but at this time, doesn't matter how busy a SC is.

8. Bifff67

Bifff67 Member

I hit Potomac Mills Tues evening 6PM and Norfolk noon Wed and no other cars were at either. Coming back up Sat. Not biggest drive time I guess. I still think your Sun trip will be fine. Report out especially if otherwise.

9. bmanke

bmanke Member

Drove from Chesapeake, VA to Niantic, CT. Stopped at Salisbury, East Brunswick and Greenwich Superchargers and saw a total of 4 other Tesla's. We were surprised to see so few other Tesla's. Two of those 4 were in CT.

10. CHGolferJim

CHGolferJim Member

Greetings!! Accepting delivery next Friday, and look forward to meeting you.