Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wait for 82 kWh battery?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am considering ordering a MY from 'new inventory',

817 miles
Demo Vehicle
Denver
Performance: 3.5s 0-60 .....145 mph max
19" Gemini Wheels
315 miles Range
$57,030

Firstly: Can anyone who has a good feel for when the 82 kWh upgrade might come to the MY give me some advice on what I ought to do? Wait or pull the trigger?

Secondly: can you guys enlighten me as to what might be some of the downsides of going with a 'new inventory' MY wiht 817 miles versus a 'brand new' MY?

I checked my VIN at tesla-info.com and it looks like it was possibly manufactured between June 26 and July 1 2020....any ideas where that puts me in terms of the latest battery chemistry and supercharger max KW capability?

Thank you guys!

this is the data from tesla-info.com

"37448 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 20-Aug-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale
36475 MY Performance left factory on 15-Aug-2020 headed for North York Canada and currently for sale
36193 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 19-Aug-2020 headed for Palo Alto, CA US and currently for sale
33697 MY Performance left factory on 23-Jul-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale
29266 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 16-Jul-2020 headed for South Salt Lake City, UT US and currently for sale
28180 MY Performance left factory on 19-Jul-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale
25091 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 28-Jun-2020 headed for North York Canada and currently for sale
24882 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 02-Jul-2020 headed for Kitchener Canada and currently for sale
Requested vin 23090
22942 MY Performance left factory on 25-Jun-2020 headed for Palo Alto, CA US and not currently for sale
22665 MY Performance left factory on 26-Jun-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale
17811 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 23-Jun-2020 headed for Palo Alto, CA US and not currently for sale
16199 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 24-Jun-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale
16029 MY Performance left factory on 13-Jun-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale
15886 MY Performance left factory on 13-Jun-2020 headed for Kitchener Canada and currently for sale
14167 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 12-Jun-2020 headed for Elk Grove Village, IL US and not currently for sale
12604 MY Long Range AWD left factory on 06-Jun-2020 headed for Lathrop, CA US and currently for sale"

**one additional note: the main reason I went with the 'New inventory' car is that I want the 19" Gemini wheels. I want these for:
-softer ride on rough terrain
-better range

Is there any way to get 19" Gemini wheels (or even the 20" wheels) when ordering a new Model Y?

( I didn't see any other option besides teh 21" uberturbine)

**one additional note: the main reason I went with the 'New inventory' car is that I want the 19" Gemini wheels. I want these for:
-softer ride on rough terrain
-better range

Is there any way to get 19" Gemini wheels (or even the 20" wheels) when ordering a new Model Y?

( I didn't see any other option besides teh 21" uberturbine)
Not currently; the performance upgrade package (PUP) for the Performance Model Y that includes the 21" wheels is now standard. Consider the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y instead as it comes standard with the 19" wheels. After taking delivery you can purchase the performance upgrade (this software upgrade unleashes more power) for the Dual Motor Model Y for $2k and gets within about a half second of the 0-60 time of the Performance Model Y. What you won't get is the 155 MPH top speed, performance suspension and performance brakes; metal driving pedals and the thin red line underscoring the words Dual Motor.

Base price of the Performance Model Y ($59,990 USD) minus the base price of the Long Range Dual Motor Model Y ($49,990 USD) equals $10,000 USD minus $2,000 for the Performance Upgrade (software upgrade) and you are ahead $8,000 USD. As an old boss who was prone to malapropisms once said, "that's like gravy in your pocket."

If you are concerned about range, spend some time with ABetterRoutePlanner. Plug in your desired destination, speed, temperature and road conditions. Wheel size will have a small effect compared to your speed.

Last edited:
I wonder if the heated steering wheel and 82kWh battery are already installed waiting for a software update. Makes sense to have put the new battery chemistry in the Model Y before the Model 3 given it has shorter range.