TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Wait time for AWD M3?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by John Lamoureux, Aug 15, 2018.

1. John Lamoureux

John Lamoureux l Parzival l

Anyone know the approximate wait for an AWD M3 for a current M3 owner?

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Since current Tesla owners who make a Model 3 reservation now are given no priority in line (this has been well established in multiple threads, in my opinion), the wait is going to be many months.

How long people (owners and non owners) wait to receive a Model 3 Dual Motor is being discussed endlessly in this thread AWD delivery thread

You will find numerous posts regarding how long people have been waiting after their reservation, and many posts about people receiving the Dual Motor 3 in the past several weeks.

3. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

Very probably next year.

4. roblab

roblab Active Member

Friends of ours ordered a 3 yesterday, given 2-4 month time frame. Before end of year. Not owners.

5. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Member

What type of 3?

6. willa1975

willa1975 Member

I ordered mine on 7/8, delivery scheduled on 8/18.

7. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Member

P or NonP? Did you have a prior reservation?

8. boriszima

boriszima Member

It is still 4 months, so before end of the year. But nobody can tell you exactly here. Look at the spreadsheet, see average time from order to delivery to get approximate time

9. willa1975

willa1975 Member

AWD, non-P. Reserved on day 1, waited until AWD became available to order.

Was going to give it more time initially, but decided to pull the trigger now so as to get the full tax credit.

10. ulrichw

ulrichw Member

Because orders opened fairly recently, this might be misleading - the average time is increasing every day (because they've fulfilled considerably less than half of the backlog of orders made between 6/26 and 7/1 and will be continuing to fulfill orders from this batch for a number of weeks yet).

A different way of looking at it is by comparing rates:
    It looks like there are 3-5 new configurations of AWD models per day
    In the past few days they've assigned VINs to 10-15 AWD orders a day

So let's say that's about 8 net AWD VIN assignments per day.

There are currently 822 AWD orders left with no VIN assignment in the spreadsheet.

That implies that they have around 100 days worth of backlog. Since that's measuring time to VIN assignment, add transit time to your location to get an approximate estimate of delivery backlog.

Because the spreadsheet represents a small sample with a large variance, the numbers I'm quoting above could be significantly off.
    Note that that could be a conservative estimate, because you'd expect orders to slow down and production to ramp up over time.

• Informative x 1
  11. willa1975

willa1975 Member

So my wait time just got longer. An airbag problem came up during new car prep this afternoon, so my delivery has been canceled. Oh well...

12. iamec

iamec Member

You'd be the first I've seen with AWD in Seattle area... Then again I just read this forum :)

Hope it all works out in the end and you get it sooner than alter!

• Love x 1
  13. willa1975

willa1975 Member

I hope it works out as well.

Just hoping they still honor their trade-in offer if I have to wait for a long time.