Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wales Road Trip - Charging advice sought

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Burtonwood Services ( 8 charging stalls) on M62 would be a good alternative to Warrington. Its only a few miles further up the road so you should be fine getting there.

I tend to use Burtonwood on trips to Liverpool for a top-up charge to keep me going around Liverpool (a charging black hole) when I am there. Warrington is one of those 2 chargers by a hotel and no where immediately obvious to go for a coffee or comfort break, avoid unless desperate

Reactions: NewbieT
Burtonwood Services ( 8 charging stalls) on M62 would be a good alternative to Warrington. Its only a few miles further up the road so you should be fine getting there.

I tend to use Burtonwood on trips to Liverpool for a top-up charge to keep me going around Liverpool (a charging black hole) when I am there. Warrington is one of those 2 chargers by a hotel and no where immediately obvious to go for a coffee or comfort break, avoid unless desperate
what is a realistic run in an SR+ its a long way from there to the next stop in Tenby allowing for variables like weather. shame they don't get on and build the promised Builth Wells SuC that would make life a lot easire

Burtonwood was based on the original proposed route (with a short stop at wales destination charger) as a way of overcoming the need to go to warrington. But the trip to knutford is viable without stop at either if the aforementioned meal at country pub with 22kwh charger is an option.

as a M3 LR owner I tend to look at trips in 200 mile chunks (with the 1st leg on 100% charge ok for 250ish)

I also just plug in destination into tesla nav and go for it stopping where it tells me or if family wanting food/toilet break throw in a bit of opportunist charging, but I can see wales charger dessert would take a little more planning :)

Last edited:
Knutsford is short of chargers considering the number of EVs knocking about there! You probably won't get any waves as every other car is a Tesla or e-tron, and those that aren't are Bentleys or Lambos! (sorry bit of an exaggeration)

There's a 50kW Shell Recharge at the Shell Garage in Knutsford, but I've never found it working. There's a 50kW charge point at The Legh Arms which has always worked when I've been there. If your SoC is very low there are 4x 50kW charge points in Sainsburys in Wilmslow that has a flat fee of £6, so works out quite cheap if you're quite empty on arrival.

Would also agree use Burtonwood rather than Warrington if you do end up needing a S/C in that neck of the woods.

Knutsford is short of chargers considering the number of EVs knocking about there! You probably won't get any waves as every other car is a Tesla or e-tron, and those that aren't are Bentleys or Lambos! (sorry bit of an exaggeration)

There's a 50kW Shell Recharge at the Shell Garage in Knutsford, but I've never found it working. There's a 50kW charge point at The Legh Arms which has always worked when I've been there. If your SoC is very low there are 4x 50kW charge points in Sainsburys in Wilmslow that has a flat fee of £6, so works out quite cheap if you're quite empty on arrival.

Would also agree use Burtonwood rather than Warrington if you do end up needing a S/C in that neck of the woods.
Thanks, looks like I'll be staying in Wilmslow for the night rather than Knutsford.

I'll be briefly stopping in Knutsford on the Friday morning to hopefully purchase an Alcantara dash trim from DAJ Automotive. Haven't called them yet, just waiting to confirm other plans.

Unfortunately, following today's announcement this trip is now looking unlikely. I expect the Welsh government to follow the new rules outlined by the English and Scottish governments.

Given that our party consists of three households travelling from Scotland to meet with 3 other households from Wales I can't see any way that we can meet and spend time together during the trip.

:(

Unfortunately, following today's announcement this trip is now looking unlikely. I expect the Welsh government to follow the new rules outlined by the English and Scottish governments.

Given that our party consists of three households travelling from Scotland to meet with 3 other households from Wales I can't see any way that we can meet and spend time together during the trip.

:(

That's a bummer - but it's still good for the Tesla community to share all these tips regardless.

rules in Wales at the moment are up to four households can form one "extended" household. If you have some careful measures in place and can respect the safety boundaries of your other travelling parties you may be OK. I don;t think the UK/Scotland "Max 6 persons" rule from Sep 14th have been mirrored in Wales.

What a shambles having different rules all over the place - no idea how people are supposed to know what to do ....

rules in Wales at the moment are up to four households can form one "extended" household. If you have some careful measures in place and can respect the safety boundaries of your other travelling parties you may be OK. I don;t think the UK/Scotland "Max 6 persons" rule from Sep 14th have been mirrored in Wales.

What a shambles having different rules all over the place - no idea how people are supposed to know what to do ....
I was reading about the extended households thing on the Welsh govt site.

I think the problem will be that the people we are visiting will already have selected their extended households so won't have capacity for an additional three households to visit.

with tourism just having got back up and running for a very short peak season (its been busy), it would be a real shame not to allow businesses to keep that going - but then we've seen a huge amount of England residents turn up, ditch their masks and wander around like they are on the moon without a care in the world. It's been a bit embarrassing to remind them that an incurable virus - that kills people at will - doesn't suddenly stop because they want to take Tarquin and Chlamydia to the beach.

with tourism just having got back up and running for a very short peak season (its been busy), it would be a real shame not to allow businesses to keep that going - but then we've seen a huge amount of England residents turn up, ditch their masks and wander around like they are on the moon without a care in the world. It's been a bit embarrassing to remind them that an incurable virus - that kills people at will - doesn't suddenly stop because they want to take Tarquin and Chlamydia to the beach.
I spent a bit of time in south east Wales this summer and most of the English were wearing their masks in shops and service stations just like Boris told us to but the locals not so much. I suspect most of the English people didn't realise that is was not mandatory on the Welsh side of the border and that you can't get infected in a shop in Wales the way you can in England or they would probably have taken them off as well.