Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away door lock not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021 M3 LR 1.5 K miles. Walk away door/windows lock not working with the authenticated bluetooth enabled iPhone ever since I had service done on Jan 16 (steering wheel off center and some alignment issues on brand new car). Walk away option with sound confirmation is turned on in Locks. Mobile access option in safety and security is turned on. I did the factory reset. I did the power off. I disabled and enabled Bluetooth many times. I also reset my phone key multiple times with the key card. I deleted and re-installed Tesla app. It’s recognizing my phone key while getting in my car. However, walk away lock is not working. Doors stay unlocked. Climate stays on after I walk away from the car. I have to manually turn off vis phone Tesla app. Nothing is working. Please advice.

Thank you LionXng for your advice. I never created driving profile before. I just did one with easy entry. You know what, walk away door lock started working again. Also, climate and screen both turned off along with doors. Wonder what’s profile has to do with walk away lock. Anyway, Keeping my fingers crossed.

I had this issue and I finally diagnosed it when I got out of the car and saw that on the screen the seat belt warning light was still on. It was a bad seat sensor that had to be replaced by Tesla (under warranty). If if thinks you are still sitting in the car it doesn’t lock the doors when you walk away. See if this is the cause of your issues.

• Helpful
Reactions: Gasaraki and Dre78
I had this issue and I finally diagnosed it when I got out of the car and saw that on the screen the seat belt warning light was still on. It was a bad seat sensor that had to be replaced by Tesla (under warranty). If if thinks you are still sitting in the car it doesn’t lock the doors when you walk away. See if this is the cause of your issues.

Thank you again. You are absolutely right. Problem came back. I turned the radio/stereo on before exiting the car. I opened the door. Closed it properly. Walk away lock did not work. I manually locked the car. I manually turned off the climate. Interestingly radio still stayed on. That means it’s sensing someone is inside. I did not see the seat belt sign on the touchscreen nor any open door on the car’s avatar. I scheduled service with Tesla. Damn, it’s just 1500 miles driven. Already have do many issues. I believe steaks really got to work on the quality issues

Reactions: Dre78
Thank you again. You are absolutely right. Problem came back. I turned the radio/stereo on before exiting the car. I opened the door. Closed it properly. Walk away lock did not work. I manually locked the car. I manually turned off the climate. Interestingly radio still stayed on. That means it’s sensing someone is inside. I did not see the seat belt sign on the touchscreen nor any open door on the car’s avatar. I scheduled service with Tesla. Damn, it’s just 1500 miles driven. Already have do many issues. I believe steaks really got to work on the quality issues
Given the issue came after the first visit, it's also possible they screwed something up in the process of doing your first service.

I also got a new 2021 SR+ and it was in to buff out some scratches on it found on delivery, but there is now a new nick on it in the same area, that was not there when I dropped it off. They are going touch up next time when I get my glass replaced (on order to do so scratches on some of the glass). But it goes to show sometimes bringing it in for service can introduce other problems. Fingers crossed they don't introduce new issues when replacing the glass.

Hey OP, this might sound like a stupid question to you, but want to ask it for new owners too: How far are you walking away from the car? I initially thought 'walk away door locking' wasn't working either... until I turned mirror auto-fold on. I walked away to the store, and was going to lock the car from the app, when I realized I didn't have my face mask, so went back to the car to get it. And lo and behold, the mirrors were folded in, meaning the car locked itself. So got my mask, and walked away backwards until the car locked (parking lights flash too), and I was pretty far away when it happened. I'm talking probably 6 parking spaces away, which is A LOT. But now I know how it works. Oh, and your app must be active for the car to lock, so you know. If you 'swipe' it off your phone screen, the car wouldn't auto-lock, as an FYI.

Finally, I have 'lock with sound' activated, but the stupid sound is so feeble I cannot hear it unless car is in front of a wall, and there's no noise around. And I have good hearing. Tesla needs to make the sound more obvious. And a double beep at that, like most other cars. I like how Audis sound :).

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Lol we HATE cars that use what sounds like 80db horn sounds to indicate when the car locks. We actually prefer the not blasting horn of our Teslas. We both have programmed the folded mirrors on exit in addition to the horn (wind and traffic noise can interfere with hearing it) it’s easy to see the state of the mirrors. Nothing like falling asleep at night and hearing your neighbor or his kid has just arrived home for the night when he exits his car.

Given the issue came after the first visit, it's also possible they screwed something up in the process of doing your first service.

I also got a new 2021 SR+ and it was in to buff out some scratches on it found on delivery, but there is now a new nick on it in the same area, that was not there when I dropped it off. They are going touch up next time when I get my glass replaced (on order to do so scratches on some of the glass). But it goes to show sometimes bringing it in for service can introduce other problems. Fingers crossed they don't introduce new issues when replacing the glass.

Thanks for your advice. I took my car to M3. It was indeed a seat occupancy sensor issue. They opened trim, seat foam/pad and re-adjusted the sensor. I was told that if issue return, then trim, foam and sensor need to be replaced. It’s working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed. Lots and lots of quality issues Tesla need to work on.

Thanks for your advice. I took my car to M3. It was indeed a seat occupancy sensor issue. They opened trim, seat foam/pad and re-adjusted the sensor. I was told that if issue return, then trim, foam and sensor need to be replaced. It’s working fine. Keeping my fingers crossed. Lots and lots of quality issues Tesla need to work on.

Update on seat occupancy sensor repair: issue of non-working walk away lock feature returned right next day. It seems like an intermittent issue. It’s mostly triggered by long driving about one hour or so with seat occupancy sensor stay pressed. I was able to see seat belt reminder sign on touchscreen through the window after exiting the car. That means seat occupancy sensor is sensing as if someone is sitting inside leading up to failure of walk away lock feature with everything including hvac, radio staying on. I have to manually turn it off. Let’s see how Tesla address this issue. Replacing the entire driver seat with sensor? It’s worth noting that it’s been just two weeks I took the delivery of this car. I have already been to SC x 2, initially for alignments issues in brand new car and then walk away lock failure. Otherwise, I don’t have issues with car performance which is as expected. But failing sensors are really annoying.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Update on seat occupancy sensor repair: issue of non-working walk away lock feature returned right next day. It seems like an intermittent issue. It’s mostly triggered by long driving about one hour or so with seat occupancy sensor stay pressed. I was able to see seat belt reminder sign on touchscreen through the window after exiting the car. That means seat occupancy sensor is sensing as if someone is sitting inside leading up to failure of walk away lock feature with everything including hvac, radio staying on. I have to manually turn it off. Let’s see how Tesla address this issue. Replacing the entire driver seat with sensor? It’s worth noting that it’s been just two weeks I took the delivery of this car. I have already been to SC x 2, initially for alignments issues in brand new car and then walk away lock failure. Otherwise, I don’t have issues with car performance which is as expected. But failing sensors are really annoying.

Any updates on this? I have a 2019 Long Range with this issue except that the no seat belt icon is not displayed. It's been intermittent ever since I bought the car. It's 41k miles later and I'm thinking I need to schedule service before warranty runs out.

I've tried opening and closing passenger door but that has no effect. It's always opening and re-closing driver door that solves it.

2021 M3 LR 1.5 K miles. Walk away door/windows lock not working with the authenticated bluetooth enabled iPhone ever since I had service done on Jan 16 (steering wheel off center and some alignment issues on brand new car). Walk away option with sound confirmation is turned on in Locks. Mobile access option in safety and security is turned on. I did the factory reset. I did the power off. I disabled and enabled Bluetooth many times. I also reset my phone key multiple times with the key card. I deleted and re-installed Tesla app. It’s recognizing my phone key while getting in my car. However, walk away lock is not working. Doors stay unlocked. Climate stays on after I walk away from the car. I have to manually turn off vis phone Tesla app. Nothing is working. Please advice.
I am not experiencing any issue ever since Tesla replaced the seat cushion and occupancy sensor. I had driven 14 K miles and walk away lock feature is working just fine as expected. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I've scheduled service (my warranty is running out soon on my 2019 LR RWD). I've also been able to replicate the problem with some regularity. Driving the car a short distance... i.e. driving up driveway... parking, get out, get back in and drive a short distance... a few feet, the problem will manifest itself with no seat belt indicators. I've also walked around the car opening and closing each car door and the passenger and rear doors have no effect. Only opening and closing the driver side door will turn the car off. I also replicated this by driving a short distance... approx 75 ft... as if you're switching parking spaces. same results. this has been happening ever since I got the car back in mid 2019.. but lately has begin to occur a lot more often (i.e. once ever month or two or three) to sometimes happening once every few days and sometimes more than once a day.

SC believes I shorted out the driver seat occupancy sensor by spilling coffee. $11 part and $165 labor, it appears fixed. I could not replicate the issue after 3 attempts receiving my car back.

Tesla says I shorted it out, evidenced by some coffee stains around the floor board. Yes I have spilled coffee but it was not on the seat, bit rather onto floor which then splashed. I had the carpet steam cleaned more than a year ago. The car had exhibited this behavior ever since I bought it in June 2019, but much higher frequency of last 6 months. I've had the driver seat out after the coffee incident and after steam cleaning and did not see any such staining on the underside of the seat. Whichever, it was not something I could successfully dispute so I just hope the issue goes away with the fix.

Can anyone help please? Just purchased T3 which arrived this week. All setup but walk away is greyed out on centre screen and therefore not able to activate. Bluetooth on and iphone controlling functions perfectly. Many thanks for any assistance

I am driving a Model 3 and facing problems with the walk away door lock function while unlocking works fine. Even connecting cell phone with car works w/o problems. Tried everything including reboot of car and de-installing and reconnecting the app.

Now I found out that a child seat on the front seat is interferring with the reliability of the walk away door lock function. I am sure this is due to the seat sensor recognizing the weight of the seat some times. If i remove the child seat from the seat everything works fine as it should.

I guess that could be an easy software fix for Tesla and would be very much apprechiated as the child seat will still be required for some time...