Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock works 50% of the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Latest update:

I've noticed something interesting. Again, apologies if this is well-understood behavior and discussed already in other places, but...

I can work around this problem by re-shutting the driver's door. It works like this:
  1. Put car in "Park", get out, shut door. Headlights are on, screen on, car seems to not be aware I've gotten out.
  2. Open the door again. Headlights go out.
  3. Close door, screen goes off. As I walk away, horn blips and mirrors fold as expected.
I've repeated this now over 20 times.

WTH? Did I set something or is this some new default?

Latest update:

I've noticed something interesting. Again, apologies if this is well-understood behavior and discussed already in other places, but...

I can work around this problem by re-shutting the driver's door. It works like this:
  1. Put car in "Park", get out, shut door. Headlights are on, screen on, car seems to not be aware I've gotten out.
  2. Open the door again. Headlights go out.
  3. Close door, screen goes off. As I walk away, horn blips and mirrors fold as expected.
I've repeated this now over 20 times.

WTH? Did I set something or is this some new default?
For headlights, try the headlights after exit setting? But the screen should turn off if it properly detects you have exited. And that setting shouldn't prevent the car from locking (at which point headlights turn off).

Maybe check your sear sensor in service mode as others mentioned.

You can also see the app and see if it is an issue with your door ajar sensor. If during your first shutting of the door, it still shows the door is ajar in the app, then that is your problem.