Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Walk away lock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello everyone,

I know there are many topics here about the walk away lock but none of then answers my questions.

I am having several issues with my model 3 and I think everything is related to the walk away lock.

When I come close to my car using my phone as a key, the car opens 100% of the time without any issues.

When I put the car in park (also parking brake is on) and leave the car walk away lock won’t work. I have to manually open the tesla app and lock by myself or ask siri to lock the vehicle.

After locking the car manually with the tesla app, sometimes mirrors won’t fold, touchscreen would be on for more then 30 minutes and headlights would be on as well (very annoying when this happens at night a lot of people call me and say “hey you forgot to turn off your vehicle”).

Sometimes the mirrors fold but touchscreen is on for long time.

Booked a appointment with tesla service. After an hour in service they said my car is good to go, it was a problem with the “brake sensor”. I left the service center very happy that my problem was done!

Wrong! I went to the mall for some shopping, parked the car, left the car and surprise! The walk away lock did not work! Everything was like before. Looks like the car never went for service.

Called the service center and was told for now on to power off the car on the touchscreen everytime I leave the car until they find a solution for my problem.

Is there anybody here going through the same issues?

Mine is not working either. Bought the car 2 weeks ago and walk away auto lock hasn’t worked. Unfortunately I can’t count on it to lock the car and keep things safe. I have to lock it manually on the screen before getting out or with the app. Very disappointing. I upgraded from a Honda Accord that had walk away auto lock 100% figured out and was flawless. This version is dangerous as you never know if the car is going to lock.

I figured this out when I was telling a coworker about sentry mode and told him to walk to the parking lot and try to open the car door to show him sentry mode. He came back in and said he just opened the car and something wasn’t working as expected. That’s how I figured out it wasn’t locking.

For you guys, is the bottom option here
D74D0945-3B46-414F-9586-B690315554A8.jpeg
selected?

Have you tried a power cycle?

Sorry for the level 1 basic questions. But ya gotta start somewhere

My friend also owns a model 3. As soon as he steps out of the car and close the door the screen shuts off, ac turns off and radio turns off. Headlights stays on for a few seconds but as soon as you are around 20 feet far away, the car locks.
My model 3 won’t lock and everything stays on. It feels like the car thinks I am still inside.

Not sure what your software version is. My 2018 Model 3 on 2019.20.4.2 (and even previous versions) have worked fine with Walk A Way Lock. I always listen for the soft honk though and if not check my app to see that it did in fact lock. But for me it's been reliable.

What I think might be more likely than the software is that you are not shutting the door/s on the car completely. Sometimes this is more obvious if your window doesn't go up all the way. There was one owner on here who posted a little while ago that they were having problems with Walk A Way Lock and after parking their car at a shopping center were shocked to find the car unlocked when they came back. Turns out it was because her driver's door hadn't closed all the way and latched when she pushed it closed. New Model 3s can have a firm seal until it relaxes and a number of people have commented that they have had to kind of slam their doors to get them to close. After a while the door will require less force to close. Maybe this is your issue? The fact that your car audio stays on beyond a short time makes me think possibly your door hasn't closed completely and latched so the car thinks you haven't left. If you got something out of the trunk or frunk same thing could happen if not properly closed.

BTW when you get out of your car with Walk A Way Lock On and Honk set, look at your center screen when you get out. Does your little car icon show one of the doors open? As mentioned it could also be a not fully closed trunk or frunk that will show up on the display. I guess it's also possible it's an issue with a latch.

Let us know what you guys find out. OP sounds like you have some company on this so interesting to see what the situation is for everyone.

Last edited:
Does the seat occupancy sensor have anything to do with this? Do you have anything on your seats?

I honestly don’t know if walk away locks with someone still in the car so this may be a non-issue, but it seems reasonable the car would not lock the person inside.

My walk away locks after 10 seconds, even if I'm still standing next to it. Not a big deal, doors open when I pull anyway.
The doors needed to be firmly shut for a few weeks before they break in. A good point made above was to check your computer screen in the car once you think you're done and fully shut. Look at your cars avatar. Does it show an open door? If it is closed, the screen will go dark almost immediately. You will hear a firm click and the horn and lights go off.
Any time you give your Tesla a command, check the screen
For reverse- Look for R and backup cam.
Lights- icon show lit front avatar.
Passenger belts...
Etc. Sounds redundant but it took me a while to get used to relying on it
If you shut your door, you should see the window finish rolling up.
Good luck and enjoy your wonderful car!

If the potential causes for the car to not Lock on Walk Away can be ruled out in your cases, then I’ll refine my guess to a faulty latch or a software issue to your cars (probably of significance that your a small subset having this issue). Sounds like people having the issue are fairly new owners. When did each of you get your car, what month and year of manufacturer is it and what software version are you on?

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

I got my model 3 sr+ a month ago. I am on the latest software update.

I am trying to say that theres a lot of wrong things with my vehicle.

I always double check the doors and everything is always locked and theres nothing on my seats.

I know a few model 3 owners. Their model 3s as soon as they leave the car the screen turns off, hvac turns off, radio and lights turns off.

My model 3, everything stays on then after 30 minutes to an hour everything turns off.

I went to the grocery store around 9:00pm, I locked the car manually everything was on including headlights and tail lights.

I stayed in the store for almost 45 minutes. When I came back to the car everything was still on.

From now on I park the car, open the door, power off the car, close the door. After 10 seconds the car autolocks by itself and mirrors fold. Until tesla finds a solution for the problem.

My wife's phone has some trouble working as a key. One of its problems is that the phone's Bluetooth turns off semi randomly. If Bluetooth turns off while driving, the car won't walk-away lock. Check it on the phone before leaving the car. I usually have to wake up my phone before I can unlock the car, but never have a problem with walk-away locking it.

Hey guys, thanks for all the replies!

I got my model 3 sr+ a month ago. I am on the latest software update.

I am trying to say that theres a lot of wrong things with my vehicle.

I always double check the doors and everything is always locked and theres nothing on my seats.

I know a few model 3 owners. Their model 3s as soon as they leave the car the screen turns off, hvac turns off, radio and lights turns off.

My model 3, everything stays on then after 30 minutes to an hour everything turns off.

I went to the grocery store around 9:00pm, I locked the car manually everything was on including headlights and tail lights.

I stayed in the store for almost 45 minutes. When I came back to the car everything was still on.

From now on I park the car, open the door, power off the car, close the door. After 10 seconds the car autolocks by itself and mirrors fold. Until tesla finds a solution for the problem.

That sounds like a seat sensor problem, maybe passenger seat. With a passenger still in the car the screen/car stays on for 30 minutes then turns off. That would be the case if a sensor indicated a seat occupancy.

After you have locked the doors you can look at the icon of the car on the phone app. It should say Parked. If a door is still open it will show that on the picture/icon of the car. Even though your door may actually be closed, if the icon on the phone app shows the door open then the car computer still thinks it is open. Not a solution, but may help track down the problem.