Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger Cord Tension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just had the 18’ Tesla Wall Charger installed. Is this tension ok on the plug? Cord is stretched to where it is not touching the ground.

Attachments

• 25CBA6EF-A0D3-4083-848D-21119C29ABDB.jpeg
    25CBA6EF-A0D3-4083-848D-21119C29ABDB.jpeg
    413.7 KB · Views: 93
  • E490FE83-B8CA-4182-8FB9-84A2E71C4D86.jpeg
    E490FE83-B8CA-4182-8FB9-84A2E71C4D86.jpeg
    365.2 KB · Views: 87
The 24 wasnt out yet when I ordered it. I could always back in, but I would rather pull in. Is it the exact same just a longer cord fr installation purposes?
Yes. No need to call an electrician to do the swap, just take out a couple screws at top and bottom of the guts of the unit, and it comes off the base.

Reactions: Sethhere04
Upvote 0
Yes. No need to call an electrician to do the swap, just take out a couple screws at top and bottom of the guts of the unit, and it comes off the base.

but ...

the s/n and web password is printed on the back of the base, so unless you swap the base too you'll now have inaccurate information if you forget the details and lose the card - and if you sell the old front with the new base same applies

Upvote 0
I am sure it is fine for a couple of charges. If this is your regular position, I'd change it for sure. The solid 90º bends will wear it out over the years.
YMMV.

I have my charger installed where your rack with wire is on the wall. I can charge in many places with my 24' but the bends are always much smoother.

Upvote 0
but ...

the s/n and web password is printed on the back of the base, so unless you swap the base too you'll now have inaccurate information if you forget the details and lose the card - and if you sell the old front with the new base same applies
The base (screwed to the wall) has no s/n or web password. No need to swap the base.

You WOULD want to swap the body of the wall connector, rather than just swapping the cords, just to keep the cord consistent with the S/N.

Upvote 0
Gen 3 Wall Connector Manual - page 7

View attachment 715987

I'd go and pull mine apart to verify, but It would take way too much effort

That is the back of the guts of the charger, not the baseplate. The baseplate is what that assembly is placed upon.

Note that you see no places to screw conductors to in that picture above, but you do on the baseplate, pictured below, on page 10 of that same manual.
1632953317902.png

Upvote 0