Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall Charger install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

adoyle

May 21, 2019
Miami
Taking delivery of my model 3 SR+ next monday! I have ordered the wall charger from Tesla. Two quesitons...

1. What is the threded hole size on the bottom of the charger? See attached photo. Hole highlighted in yellow.
2. Anyone know how long its taking Tesla to ship Wall Connector?

Thanks!

Attachments

• charger.png
    charger.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 86
Taking delivery of my model 3 SR+ next monday! I have ordered the wall charger from Tesla. Two quesitons...

1. What is the threded hole size on the bottom of the charger? See attached photo. Hole highlighted in yellow.
2. Anyone know how long its taking Tesla to ship Wall Connector?

Thanks!
I got mine in about 10 minutes at the delivery center when I picked up my car. I just told the guy I wanted one and he said i'll be right back. The delivery centers typically have them in stock. Give yours a call if you do not want to wait.

Reactions: BrokerDon
Search Craigslist and TMC for a Tesla Wall Connector. I found a brand new still in the box Signature Matte Black Tesla Wall Connector for $375 in 2 hours searching in March on Craigslist that another Tesla owner had received as a Tesla Referral Reward. Saved our son $125 + another $38.75 in CA sales tax.

just curious how everyone is running cable from their panel to the location of their 240V/Wall Connector? Mine is unique in that the panel is in my basement and I have a detached garage, so electrician said he needs to trench a hole to run the cables. But don't most homes have a panel away from where you would want your wall charger, do people rip walls open to get this done? confused...

just curious how everyone is running cable from their panel to the location of their 240V/Wall Connector? Mine is unique in that the panel is in my basement and I have a detached garage, so electrician said he needs to trench a hole to run the cables. But don't most homes have a panel away from where you would want your wall charger, do people rip walls open to get this done? confused...
It's just like wiring anything else. Most people run conduit from their breaker box to the wall connector. If installed inside a garage and code allows many people use 6 gauge NM cable (Romex).

It's just like wiring anything else. Most people run conduit from their breaker box to the wall connector. If installed inside a garage and code allows many people use 6 gauge NM cable (Romex).

I did mine in an attached garage. Like Daniel said, electrician did it with 6 gauge NM romex from my breaker in the basement. Conduit leading up into the charger from the small hole in the sheetrock 3 feet below. And like MrMass said, I got mine in 8 days from order date here in New York.

Mine was probably as complex as it gets. Seven years ago, to charger my volt, I installed a dedicated meter for EV charging. I now get separate bills for my house and car chargers. I ran #2 AWG NM from the panel to a sub-panel in the garage. My electric service (and meter panels) are near at the opposite corner of my house from the garage. It is a 2-story house so the wire had to run up 2-stories, across the attic then back down. A hand full of holes needed to be cut into the walls to get it done. The old house meter was a fire hazard so it needed to be upgraded. Adding the second meter panel and the run to the garage did not cost much as an addition to replacing the old panel. The only expensive part was the wire. I did the job myself (both meter panels and the run to the garage) for a little under $2000. I patched the drywall myself but paid another $500 or so to have someone patch the stucco around the new panels.

With the 100 amp sub-panel already in the garage it was an easy project to add a new circuit for my new wall connector. I now have a J1772 EVSE for my volt and a wall connector for my Model 3. The new wall connector circuit was probably $100 in materials.

In my last two homes and the breaker panel was either in the garage or on the outside of the garage wall so they would have been a walk in the park.