Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wall charger installation cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHat is average cost to insall? i live in south florida. Debating between spending $500 on wall charger vs nema outlet. Any recommendations? one person quoted $250 plus material after sending these pictures and i said need right next to it in garage

bunch of variables you are not listing ... h0w long a run? what size circuit etc??? as an example i did a 3ft run 100a circuit #2 THHN ... materials cost less than $~75 .....in general the prices u list are low compared to thousands some folks are quoting here... i did my own work so just paid for materials as breaker box was back 2 back with HPWC

WHat is average cost to insall? i live in south florida. Debating between spending $500 on wall charger vs nema outlet. Any recommendations? one person quoted $250 plus material after sending these pictures and i said need right next to it in garage

As others have stated, the cost is all over the board depending on complexity of the install. Ones where the panel is right next to the location you are going to put the receptacle or wall charger are typically very inexpensive if you don't have a lacking main panel or enough capacity.

With that being said, installing a Wall Connector vs. a NEMA 14-50 should not be much difference in price if you run them with the same gauge wire. The added labor would be for physically mounting the wall connector and setting it to the right rotary dial position (trivial to do). The trick is that the Wall Connector CAN take a much larger circuit than a NEMA 14-50 (up to 100 amps), so if you chose to put in a Wall Connector and wire it with a 100a circuit that could be quite a cost adder over the 14-50 since everything (breaker, wire, conduit, etc...) is bigger and more expensive.

Realize though that the main cost is the mobilization labor of the electricians in many cases... So just getting them on the job site is a lot of the cost. I personally installed my own wall connector with #6 AWG in conduit and on a 60a breaker which gives me a full 48 amps to charge the Model 3 with which is the max it can take.

I personally want to keep my UMC in my car at all times for emergencies and so that meant either buying another UMC for use at home ($300) OR buying a Wall Connector for $500. For only $200 more the longer cable, the outdoor rating (with no easy way to steal it), and the ability to charge at 48 amps vs 32 made that a no brainer for me.

bunch of variables you are not listing ... h0w long a run? what size circuit etc??? as an example i did a 3ft run 100a circuit #2 THHN ... materials cost less than $~75 .....in general the prices u list are low compared to thousands some folks are quoting here... i did my own work so just paid for materials as breaker box was back 2 back with HPWC

I thought the largest wire the Wall Connector was rated to was #3 AWG? Were you able to successfully put #2 AWG copper under the terminals? I am genuinely curious if you have any documentation (either on the terminals themselves or in the manual) that says #2 AWG is ok? I thought they manual said #3.

Reactions: P85_DA
As others have stated, the cost is all over the board depending on complexity of the install. Ones where the panel is right next to the location you are going to put the receptacle or wall charger are typically very inexpensive if you don't have a lacking main panel or enough capacity.

With that being said, installing a Wall Connector vs. a NEMA 14-50 should not be much difference in price if you run them with the same gauge wire. The added labor would be for physically mounting the wall connector and setting it to the right rotary dial position (trivial to do). The trick is that the Wall Connector CAN take a much larger circuit than a NEMA 14-50 (up to 100 amps), so if you chose to put in a Wall Connector and wire it with a 100a circuit that could be quite a cost adder over the 14-50 since everything (breaker, wire, conduit, etc...) is bigger and more expensive.

Realize though that the main cost is the mobilization labor of the electricians in many cases... So just getting them on the job site is a lot of the cost. I personally installed my own wall connector with #6 AWG in conduit and on a 60a breaker which gives me a full 48 amps to charge the Model 3 with which is the max it can take.

I personally want to keep my UMC in my car at all times for emergencies and so that meant either buying another UMC for use at home ($300) OR buying a Wall Connector for $500. For only $200 more the longer cable, the outdoor rating (with no easy way to steal it), and the ability to charge at 48 amps vs 32 made that a no brainer for me.

I thought the largest wire the Wall Connector was rated to was #3 AWG? Were you able to successfully put #2 AWG copper under the terminals? I am genuinely curious if you have any documentation (either on the terminals themselves or in the manual) that says #2 AWG is ok? I thought they manual said #3.

I have Gen 1 HPWC it can fit #2

Reactions: eprosenx
Mine was about $1200 for install. I had them prewire for a second charger (reserving the Y asap), which added some cost. It was on the opposite side of the house as the electrical box, so I'm sure that added cost. I went through Tesla,(SolarCity did the work). They handled all the permitting with the city and everything.

Apparently the city inspector told my wife that this was the first install he'd seen that wasn't done wrong. Not sure who's installing things wrong, but I assume a lot of people go through local electricians in an attempt to save money.

It took about 8 weeks (might take longer now after all the cuts SolarCity got), but IMO well worth it. The technicians they sent were very professional and upbeat.